Explain something

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Explain something

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 5:47 pm #1

I love Panerai, always will. I am confused - legitimately - by something I see quite often.

What is the affinity with owning multiple watches that have very, very little difference in appearance? I get that owning one with an in-house vs ETA might have appeal, OK. I see this with straps as well.

Not being at all critical. I would like to understand the rationale behind these decisions. These aren't $200 Seikos we're talking about here.

meric2
Paneristi
meric2
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 6:23 pm #2

I think attempting apply 'rationale' to even owning one Panerai would be futile, as it (at least in Base form) is as simple as a watch can get, and at its luxury item price point, you can get any number of watches that technically outperform it for less than $50.

So I feel that it comes down to buying what you like...Hours+Minutes.
So similar, yet so different...

Cheers...

Michael

thewatchboys
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 6:51 pm #3

I love Panerai, always will. I am confused - legitimately - by something I see quite often.

What is the affinity with owning multiple watches that have very, very little difference in appearance? I get that owning one with an in-house vs ETA might have appeal, OK. I see this with straps as well.

Not being at all critical. I would like to understand the rationale behind these decisions. These aren't $200 Seikos we're talking about here.
http://www.horizonlines.org/volume4/abo ... index.html

watchdaddy1
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 7:09 pm #4

For the PASSION as well. Ti, High polished versus non polished, in house versus base movements,seconds hands versus non,sandwhich dial, versus non, but mostly (for me @ least) is because I cant get enough OP

ERSanchez
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 7:46 pm #5

What's up Kurt!!!

Good to see you mate!!

Cheers!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

ERSanchez
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 7:49 pm #6

Seriously....I can see how to the average Joe some of these models all look the same. But for most of us, even the slightest difference is enough to by one that looks the same as what you already have.

In my eyes...there is nothing the same about these.....

Cheers!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

P U R A V I D A !

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 7:52 pm #7

I will give you my take...I have a 000 and a 002, which are extremely similar. My wish list almost exclusively includes base models like 372, 009, 201/A, 232 etc....
I like what I like...
One of the things that draws me to these models ARE the subtle differences. I like it when my wife or friends say "they all look the same", yet I know that I can tell them apart from accross a room!
I have also owned a couple Jeep's, and have many of the same style shirts, pants, shoes, briefcases, etc...
I actually think it would be more strange if all of my watches were drastically different from one and other...
I know what I like

000 "I"
002 "C"

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 8:18 pm #8

I know that every time I buy another brand that i had enjoyed prior to my PAM addiction...I end up hardly ever wearing that watch. Yet again I have been thinking "well maybe I would want another brand instead of having 4-5 Panerai. While the defferences are subtle, this feeling has something to do with "posessing" something that one is passionate about.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

mfer
Paneristi
mfer
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 8:59 pm #9

Really, these are completely different to me!

I can't explain it. I know they are very similar, but I just love seeing them all together and wearing them and appreciating their subtle differences. It gives me much joy. That and I'm pretty much crazy about the design. I could see owning several more Panerai and several different versions of Rolex subs for example. I just love the design and appreciate the variations.

Plus, you wouldn't believe the difference in how straps look on a black face v. a brown for example.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 9:47 pm #10

I think that for a lot of people life consists of a whole lot of logical, sober decision making that's based on the need to see a desirable outcome and figure out the best way to get there. Not coincidentally, I think that many successful people become successful because of this ability and the application of it.

So when you spend a lot of time making sober, analytical decisions and you've gotten to a point because of it where you can indulge in a passion like high-end watches one of the great joys of it comes from making decisions based purely on "I like that one, I'll take it"

In other words... for many people I think collecting watches is a place where they can set aside the analysis and just get what they like because they like it... and if you pursue this hobby long enough you start to recognize certain combinations of things that really press your "want" button, so naturally you end up with a bunch of watches that have those characteristics, which to YOU are very detail oriented and obvious but to others might seem like unimportant, small variations.

Also, I think that with collectors... details often end up being the most important aspect of the entire thing... for instance, show me the 127 and the 372 and I see completely, utterly different watches. Show them to my wife... she just sees two huge watches that look almost exactly the same

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

giuliosax
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm #11

my humble opinion
Regards Giulio

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 10:29 pm #12

I think that for a lot of people life consists of a whole lot of logical, sober decision making that's based on the need to see a desirable outcome and figure out the best way to get there. Not coincidentally, I think that many successful people become successful because of this ability and the application of it.

So when you spend a lot of time making sober, analytical decisions and you've gotten to a point because of it where you can indulge in a passion like high-end watches one of the great joys of it comes from making decisions based purely on "I like that one, I'll take it"

In other words... for many people I think collecting watches is a place where they can set aside the analysis and just get what they like because they like it... and if you pursue this hobby long enough you start to recognize certain combinations of things that really press your "want" button, so naturally you end up with a bunch of watches that have those characteristics, which to YOU are very detail oriented and obvious but to others might seem like unimportant, small variations.

Also, I think that with collectors... details often end up being the most important aspect of the entire thing... for instance, show me the 127 and the 372 and I see completely, utterly different watches. Show them to my wife... she just sees two huge watches that look almost exactly the same

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

May 16th, 2012, 10:43 pm #13

Definite +1! n/t

ydsato
Paneristi
ydsato
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 12:41 am #14

Seriously....I can see how to the average Joe some of these models all look the same. But for most of us, even the slightest difference is enough to by one that looks the same as what you already have.

In my eyes...there is nothing the same about these.....

Cheers!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

P U R A V I D A !

thanks for sharing

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 12:47 am #15

pam is juz not a normal watch. you may see all their model looks the same but when go into details they are all different, sausage dial vs sandwich dial, normal crown guard vs destro, small second vs based. but is always a story behind a different model and design. i just love the story.

besides, the most important to me fall in love is about the people behind. to me, pam is a community watch, because a pam people from french come to my country meet up and become friend. because of pam i went all the way to singapore to joint their GTG and make friends. I will continue this and hope 1 day i will be able to joint the P day.

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 1:25 am #16

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 2:07 am #17

My Grails.

Ba Ba Booey.

Kevin Schmieder

Pam 111 N Series
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610

chaswilbur
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 4:56 am #18

As in the one and only time I ever mailed a watch out of the good old USA?

It's great to see you around.

Of course, I still miss that 103 St Sa..

You would think I could find a German date wheel pretty easily no?

I hope all is well!

Charlie.

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!
Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!

slf_one
Paneristi
slf_one
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 5:05 am #19

Very well said!

chaswilbur
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 5:06 am #20

Asked myself a MILLION times. It's not just Panerai too, it's all watches in general. Why do I really need more than one good watch, and one watch to wear to the gym?

My initial answer is that I'm missing something more substantial and meaningful in my life. Religion? Goals? When I am focused on another aspect of my life, I find myself spending less and less time thinking about watches. My online hits to places like this, and timezone etc. go way down. When I'm a tad depressed, bored, and inactive, it's the exact opposite. Who knows, I don't think that's the case with most watch lovers I know though. They all have pretty full, meaningful lives.

I think you could say it's part obsessive, if not collectible nature. If as a child you collected baseball cards, perhaps you're more prone to collect watches? What is really the difference between a 72 Tom Seaver and a 73 Tom Seaver?

My dad was a clock guy, he never understood how I could have so many wrist watches, when he literally had dozens of clocks all over the house..

I also think, it's a small way to reward yourself for working hard, grinding it out.. if your family is happy and taken care of, you're not broke, buying a watch, even if it's not all that different from one you already have (for example, I need another rotating bezel watch like I need thinning shears at the barber), it's a way to look down at your wrist and say it was all worth it.

In close, I don't think there is a be all, end all answer. For each individual it's different. I know for me, I've spent a great deal looking inward, or at the man in the mirror, and still don't have the answer. I go from loving having different nice watches, to hating myself for wanting them on a pretty regular basis. It's bi-polar for sure.

Thanks for the thought provoking question... Always enjoy forums like this for that exact reason..

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!
Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!