Desert Island Dream (better late than never)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Desert Island Dream (better late than never)

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 1:09 pm #1

I wake up coughing up a pound of sand, my mouth a washed with seawater. The sun was beating down on me, and I am not sure how long I had been baking in this heat. My neck is going to peel big time tonight. Picking myself up, I realized I am wearing a suit, now stained with sand.

How did I get to this Desert? Or am I on an Island? Is this a Dream?

Dazed and confused, I wonder: Why am I talking to myself as if I am Mike Hammer in a Mickey Spillane novel? It dawned onto me that Eric S. nominated me to do a DID.

2 watches
Would it be rude NOT to include a Panerai? Of course it is. If I were stuck on a desert island dreaming, Id have my PAM124. It is a brute and sucks up abuse like a trooper.

Now if I were stuck on a desert island, Id like something pretty robust, reliable and truly functional. And for that, you cant go past the Casio Protek. Its the kitchen sink and more. I am sure the digital compass would come in useful, as would the altimeter and barometer. Lets not forget the 26 time zones (two spare ones), six alarms, altitude recorder, chronograph and countdown timer.

2 songs
As for music, I am a huge fan of melodic death metal or better known as Gothenburg metal, which references the city in Sweden where it originated. For the uninitiated, melodic death metal contains melodic guitar riffs, solos and keyboards, with many of the artists having had classical music backgrounds.

My two favourite melodic death metal bands are In Flames and Children of Bodom.

For In Flames, it would have to be "Only For The Weak". Here is the live version with of the song (along with another great In Flames song Clayman.
<object width="425" height="350" data=""><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><!--[if IE]><embed src="" width="425" height="350" /><![endif]--></object>

For Children of Bodom, it would have to be Trashed, Lost & Strungout
<object width="425" height="350" data=""><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><!--[if IE]><embed src="" width="425" height="350" /><![endif]--></object>

The guitar riffs by Alexi Laiho are just out of this world as is Janne Wirmans keyboarding.
\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

I know how controversial this book is considered but I read it as a satirical look as the excesses of American high society of the 80s. The prose is witty as are the situations that Bret puts Patrick Bateman in. The chapter on business cards is an absolute classic as is the pretention it embodies.

1 movie

The Empire Strikes Back, a film I consider the pinnacle of Hollywood magic.

While Star Wars created the basis of the space opera, it is TESB that took the franchise to a whole new level and we have two amazing people to thank for this: it's director Irving Kershner and writer Lawrence Kasdan. And of course, the all time best movie line ever that immortalizes James Earl Jones voice.

1 photograph

I would have this photo of my wife Alex, who puts up with all my idiosyncrasies, and my son, Vincent, who is developing idiosyncrasies of his own.

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

Boy was it a rowdy night. Passion is when a bunch of guys brew their own beer for a watch GTG. A world first and it has never been repeated.

1 meal

I love ramen, or Japanese egg noodles. The one I am particularly fond of is Hakata ramen, which has a rich, creamy tonkatsu (pork bone) soup. The noodles are thin but not curly like normal ramen noodles.

This is what I had while in Kyoto. Look at all that roast pork and the perfectly cooked egg. This is comfort food at its best.

1 person

This isn't a person but my dog, Gypsy. She is a tenterfield terrier and a little pocket rocket with a cheeky personality.

Her favourite trick at the park would be to provoke the biggest dog she can find into chasing her. Most of the time, shed out run them or perform her signature stunt of changing direction in a flash, which normally throws off her pursuer. It once resulted in a large poodle dislocating its hip trying to keep up.

Sorry for being late with the post.

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

========================================

The grass is greener on the otherside because its growing on a big pile of $h!t.

Some say the glass is half empty.
Others say the glass is half full.
I say the glass isn't bloody big enough!

SergioNazzaro
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 1:16 pm #2

cheers.

Sergio
Rome (Italy) adopted by

Jpvfx
Paneristi
Jpvfx
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 1:37 pm #3

I wake up coughing up a pound of sand, my mouth a washed with seawater. The sun was beating down on me, and I am not sure how long I had been baking in this heat. My neck is going to peel big time tonight. Picking myself up, I realized I am wearing a suit, now stained with sand.

Dazed and confused, I wonder: Why am I talking to myself as if I am Mike Hammer in a Mickey Spillane novel? It dawned onto me that Eric S. nominated me to do a DID.

2 watches
Would it be rude NOT to include a Panerai? Of course it is. If I were stuck on a desert island dreaming, Id have my PAM124. It is a brute and sucks up abuse like a trooper.

Now if I were stuck on a desert island, Id like something pretty robust, reliable and truly functional. And for that, you cant go past the Casio Protek. Its the kitchen sink and more. I am sure the digital compass would come in useful, as would the altimeter and barometer. Lets not forget the 26 time zones (two spare ones), six alarms, altitude recorder, chronograph and countdown timer.

2 songs
As for music, I am a huge fan of melodic death metal or better known as Gothenburg metal, which references the city in Sweden where it originated. For the uninitiated, melodic death metal contains melodic guitar riffs, solos and keyboards, with many of the artists having had classical music backgrounds.

For In Flames, it would have to be "Only For The Weak". Here is the live version with of the song (along with another great In Flames song Clayman.

The guitar riffs by Alexi Laiho are just out of this world as is Janne Wirmans keyboarding.
\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

I know how controversial this book is considered but I read it as a satirical look as the excesses of American high society of the 80s. The prose is witty as are the situations that Bret puts Patrick Bateman in. The chapter on business cards is an absolute classic as is the pretention it embodies.

1 movie

While Star Wars created the basis of the space opera, it is TESB that took the franchise to a whole new level and we have two amazing people to thank for this: it's director Irving Kershner and writer Lawrence Kasdan. And of course, the all time best movie line ever that immortalizes James Earl Jones voice.

1 photograph

I would have this photo of my wife Alex, who puts up with all my idiosyncrasies, and my son, Vincent, who is developing idiosyncrasies of his own.

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

Boy was it a rowdy night. Passion is when a bunch of guys brew their own beer for a watch GTG. A world first and it has never been repeated.

1 meal

I love ramen, or Japanese egg noodles. The one I am particularly fond of is Hakata ramen, which has a rich, creamy tonkatsu (pork bone) soup. The noodles are thin but not curly like normal ramen noodles.

This is what I had while in Kyoto. Look at all that roast pork and the perfectly cooked egg. This is comfort food at its best.

1 person

This isn't a person but my dog, Gypsy. She is a tenterfield terrier and a little pocket rocket with a cheeky personality.

Her favourite trick at the park would be to provoke the biggest dog she can find into chasing her. Most of the time, shed out run them or perform her signature stunt of changing direction in a flash, which normally throws off her pursuer. It once resulted in a large poodle dislocating its hip trying to keep up.

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

The grass is greener on the otherside because its growing on a big pile of $h!t.

That was funny ))
Now I didn't take you for a metal head )) Gee I had to turn the volume down

Ok whats the famous line in TESB ? (which one ?) ))

Great DID, made me smile and laugh

Best
Jp

madactuary
Paneristi
madactuary
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:11 pm #4

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

Love the choice of book and movie, among my all time favourites.

JCatacchio
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:26 pm #5

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

Very creative intro!

Best,
-James

---------

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't. -Warren Buffett

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:45 pm #6

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

great shots there...

tsunami2000
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:47 pm #7

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

I have reaaly gotten into Scandinavian Metal the past few years, in particular Opeth and Dimmu Borgir. A lot of people don't get it, but there is some serious musicianship behind that music.

actiondan
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:52 pm #8

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

n/t

¡§Those are my principles, and if you don¡¦t like them¡K well, I have others.¡¨ Groucho Marx

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:54 pm #9

I have reaaly gotten into Scandinavian Metal the past few years, in particular Opeth and Dimmu Borgir. A lot of people don't get it, but there is some serious musicianship behind that music.
Dimmu is also one of my favourites. I also listen to operatic metal such as Nightwish.

Check out Stratovarius too. Melodic Iron Maiden

Arch Enemy and Carcass are also brilliant.

I once described Heavy Metal to be like a very good vindaloo curry. For the uninitiated, its all heat but for the connoussier there are subtle flavours of the spice. Like a hot curry, metal to the uninitiated is just noise.

As for In Flames, the Clayman album is a good start.

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:54 pm #10

great shots there...
G

Cheers
Gaz

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:56 pm #11

That was funny ))
Now I didn't take you for a metal head )) Gee I had to turn the volume down

Ok whats the famous line in TESB ? (which one ?) ))

Great DID, made me smile and laugh

Best
Jp

There are just so many great lines in TESB. I love it when Luke is taking off in his X-Wing, a voice over of Obi One says that he's our only hope. Yoda says "No there is another" while the bloom of the X-wing's truster lights up the scene.

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:56 pm #12

cheers.

Sergio
Rome (Italy) adopted by
g

Cheers
Gaz

gazman70k
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 2:58 pm #13

Love the choice of book and movie, among my all time favourites.

Cheers
Gaz

Paul-Belgium
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 5:25 pm #14

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

It's never to late
BTW Beauty full wife

Greetings
Polleke

dlee888
Paneristi
dlee888
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 5:34 pm #15

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

Great D.I.D. post!

Panerai...
"It's like children. You can't understand until you've had one."

ravi76
Paneristi
ravi76
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 5:51 pm #16

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

tevj
Paneristi
tevj
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 9:15 pm #17

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

nt

maxxbet
Paneristi
maxxbet
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 9:36 pm #18

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

nt

Steve
Nor'Risti in Training

Panerai and Paneristi.com...way more than just a watch!!

javierleon
Paneristi
javierleon
Paneristi

November 7th, 2008, 11:40 pm #19

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

Thanks

dmasanda
Paneristi
dmasanda
Paneristi

November 8th, 2008, 5:46 am #20

2 watches

2 songs

\m/ METAL \m/

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph

1 memory

DU Paneristi GTG in 2006

1 meal

1 person

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

Love the pics and stories!! These are all so much fun to read!

D

"I'm just sayin"