Defective Panerai The saga continues...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Defective Panerai The saga continues...

dman2112
New User
dman2112
New User

April 18th, 2012, 3:00 pm #1

So much for the optimism that Panerai is a quality organisation.

My two week old defective Panerai is now "waiting for a part" from Switzerland and now a promised 3 week turn around has now a month tacked on to it.

Nice!! What a great company!

meric2
Paneristi
meric2
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm #2

mechanical watches may not be the thing for for you.

Sometimes they break...then they need to be fixed by a competent watchmaker...and sometimes that may take longer than expected.

Personally, I don't see the issue here.

If they need to order the part, they need to order the part.

I'm sure it will be made right in the end, but, as the Moz says, "These things take time".

Hope it's back to you soon.

Cheers...

Michael

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 3:21 pm #3

My two week old defective Panerai is now "waiting for a part" from Switzerland and now a promised 3 week turn around has now a month tacked on to it.

but sure when its back and running great you'll have no problem selling it and buying a brand you're happy with owning..

dukerules
Paneristi
dukerules
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 3:26 pm #4

mechanical watches may not be the thing for for you.

Sometimes they break...then they need to be fixed by a competent watchmaker...and sometimes that may take longer than expected.

Personally, I don't see the issue here.

If they need to order the part, they need to order the part.

I'm sure it will be made right in the end, but, as the Moz says, "These things take time".

Hope it's back to you soon.

Cheers...

Michael

Mechanicals aren't for everyone. Service times may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but any mechanical watch can have issues. Do you drive a car? Those break too, and usually at the most inopportune times

Chapel Hill, NC

hayval
Paneristi
hayval
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 3:43 pm #5

Have you ever had to wait for a part for your Ferrari? Jeez! Talk about a LONG wait time

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 4:33 pm #6

on the brand itself.

I have a SS Rolex Daytona that after two weeks just died. The f*cking thing was brand new. I took it in to Rolex in NYC and they fixed it just fine - in 3 weeks. Was I upset? Yes. Were the repairs free under warranty? Sure. It's just a damn watch.

A gentle thought: Remember your priorities. You're well, your family is well, you've got a job, etc. This is only a watch. Your disappointment seems out of proportion.

Strap on another one - and wait. It'll be back on your wrist soon enough.

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 4:49 pm #7

All we have here is missed expectations. Not knowing what most of us know with the time it takes to get a service or a repair I would be a bit surprised too at the time it takes. We know better, so we have realistic expectations. Some do not - those newer to the brand.

I any case, let's hope the wait is worth it and that things are perfect afterwards.

Perhaps as the brand grows there will be larger stockpiles of parts at the service centers. I sure hope so...

-Craig F

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 7:16 pm #8

with moving parts right? You should definitely stay away from them in the future and definitely stay away from vintage...

Unfortunately these things happen with mechanical watches, maybe when you get your Panerai back you should sell it and buy a quartz watch or maybe a more basic Panerai with an ETA movement that can be repaired locally in a couple days.

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 7:28 pm #9

...that the watch was only 2 weeks in your possession when it broke. I think most will agree.
The harsh comments are probably simply because of your choice of words.
Anyway, these things do happen, although not often. It's just bad luck.
I'm sure it will be fixed soon.
Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

ctang
Paneristi
ctang
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 7:35 pm #10

Granted we don't hear every tale about the Panerais that are sent out and work perfectly, but I do think that there are too many defects seen in brand new Panerai watches, given that the brand and whole industry represents precision, high quality design and state of the art engineering. Seems like some pretty bone-headed things happen, both with QA of new models going out the door and also (in my own personal experience) at the PASC when repairs are done.

Come on Panerai, you can do better!

RUpanerai
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 8:35 pm #11

I'd be upset if that happened to my practically new mechanical watch...

If you spend a few thousand on a watch and it fails you right away you have a reason to be upset no questions asked... too bad there are no lemon laws for watches.

In my experience I have had both good / quick turn arounds as well as a long and slow process (and my watch turned out to be more damaged when I sent it in), PASC is batting at about 50 percent from my personal experience.

My 390 had a scratched hand and it took them 5 weeks to replace the hand, while not so long, it was long enough for a hand. All in all Panerai does do a great job with customer service at the point until it reaches the PASC, from there on out, my experiences have varied.

In the future make sure to take pictures of the watch before you send it to PASC so you can make claims against Pre and Post PASC service of your Panerai.

nadelstern
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 8:49 pm #12

... tuna cans with cheap Unitas movements in them. The $$$ were going toward outstanding Italian design.

It was easier to rationalize when they cost a couple of grand, and the choice was a Panerai or seasons tix to your favorite team. Now that it's a Panerai or a new car, it's harder to accept mechanical flaws and lengthy repair times.

I hope you get your watch back soon in as new condition.

gfriedell
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 8:52 pm #13

You bought an expensive luxury item and it has not performed to your expectations. It seems easy to say that since it's a mechanical watch you should be willing to accept the fact there can be issues, but in theory that makes sense, but when it happens to your own watch it's no longer a hypothetical situation and emotions are involved.

I have also experienced a problem with a brand new Panerai once. It was the only problem I've ever had with my Panerais, but it certainly was disappointing. But, since it was returned I haven't had any other issues and it has given me years of solid service and the enjoyment I had from owning it far outweighed the initial inconvenience. It does seem that the time delays to procure parts from Switzerland are longer than they should be, but that's assuming they keep the parts in stock.

With all of that said, complex mechanical devices are always subject to problems regardless of the quality and craftsmanship. I would prefer to wait a little longer for a first class repair than have it rushed back to me. I've learned that watchmaking is an art that cannot usually be done well quickly.

I hope you get your watch back soon and enjoy it for a long time.

Last edited by gfriedell on April 19th, 2012, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

April 18th, 2012, 9:38 pm #14

Well said, I agree 100%.

Kev.

dman2112
New User
dman2112
New User

April 19th, 2012, 1:08 am #15

But I was given the proper expectation, I was given another Ferrari to drive, and mine wasn't two weeks old it was a year old.

Very different experience.

Also I own many swiss watches and these guys are definetly the worst relative to the price you pay.

My $.02

zameenzahari
Paneristi

April 19th, 2012, 5:37 am #16

You bought an expensive luxury item and it has not performed to your expectations. It seems easy to say that since it's a mechanical watch you should be willing to accept the fact there can be issues, but in theory that makes sense, but when it happens to your own watch it's no longer a hypothetical situation and emotions are involved.

I have also experienced a problem with a brand new Panerai once. It was the only problem I've ever had with my Panerais, but it certainly was disappointing. But, since it was returned I haven't had any other issues and it has given me years of solid service and the enjoyment I had from owning it far outweighed the initial inconvenience. It does seem that the time delays to procure parts from Switzerland are longer than they should be, but that's assuming they keep the parts in stock.

With all of that said, complex mechanical devices are always subject to problems regardless of the quality and craftsmanship. I would prefer to wait a little longer for a first class repair than have it rushed back to me. I've learned that watchmaking is an art that cannot usually be done well quickly.

I hope you get your watch back soon and enjoy it for a long time.

and all the best..hope it'll be sorted sooner rather than later. Good luck!!

soms0806
Paneristi
soms0806
Paneristi

April 19th, 2012, 8:23 am #17

you are the lucky one....probably 1 out of 100,000 that receive a defective watch.
Get another pam, I'm pretty sure this problem won't happen.
I mean... if you can afford a Ferrari, spending another $10-30k on another pam won't hurt ur wallet.

Pam1983_NL
Paneristi
Pam1983_NL
Paneristi

April 19th, 2012, 7:07 pm #18

I am still in conversation with Panerai about their terrible service. so I will not say too mcuh right now. But I can say that it took them alomst 2 YEARS to fix my 292.

They didnt even nother to give me an update from time to time.

Well, like I said, they still have a chance to fix my negative feelings. But when they don't I will remeber to tell you the whole story (including mails from panerai to proove that I am not telling a bad fairytale...)

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

April 19th, 2012, 9:25 pm #19

All we have here is missed expectations. Not knowing what most of us know with the time it takes to get a service or a repair I would be a bit surprised too at the time it takes. We know better, so we have realistic expectations. Some do not - those newer to the brand.

I any case, let's hope the wait is worth it and that things are perfect afterwards.

Perhaps as the brand grows there will be larger stockpiles of parts at the service centers. I sure hope so...

-Craig F
with this. My first long wait was with my first Breitling. Waited one month for every year I owned it at the time LOL. The point is you aren't the only one that needs service and repairs are not fast.

Other thing you should consider is European time and American/British time are very different things. Pace and urgency is in "hurry up and take your time" mode. Go wait for a table in Spain or have a jacket made in Italy if you don't believe me. Rush is not in their vocabulary. It's great when you're relaxing on vacation and not so great when you're waiting for a service or item.

At least they took the time to find precisely what they think is wrong. Although I always find it odd that service centers don't have absolute baskets full of these little parts on hand, that remains the reality in some cases.