Changing straps on a PAM 005

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Changing straps on a PAM 005

pvm4
New User
pvm4
New User

May 29th, 2012, 4:24 am #1

Just got my first PAM a few weeks ago. I opted to go basic and start with a PAM 005. I was quite amazed by the number of vendors out there making straps for Panerais. Changing straps definitely seems like a fun part of owning a Panerai.

Now for my question, how do I change straps without scratching the lugs on my highly polished case? I've read postings of people taping around the screw hole. Somewhere else someone suggested using scotch tape over the hole and then piercing the hole with the included screwdriver.

I ordered a strap recently and looking forward changing it out myself. The screw holes look tiny. I'm dreading the though of scratching the polished case.

Thanks for your advice!

David

cpdstick
Paneristi
cpdstick
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 4:35 am #2

Not that big of a deal....just change the strap and be happy with your new look!

I wouldn't use tape....I hate dealing with the mess, but it does work....this is a better option if you are still stressing about it (you can use toothpicks and don't worry about scratching

(please no links to vendor sites)
Last edited by gfriedell on May 29th, 2012, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 4:37 am #3

Just got my first PAM a few weeks ago. I opted to go basic and start with a PAM 005. I was quite amazed by the number of vendors out there making straps for Panerais. Changing straps definitely seems like a fun part of owning a Panerai.

Now for my question, how do I change straps without scratching the lugs on my highly polished case? I've read postings of people taping around the screw hole. Somewhere else someone suggested using scotch tape over the hole and then piercing the hole with the included screwdriver.

I ordered a strap recently and looking forward changing it out myself. The screw holes look tiny. I'm dreading the though of scratching the polished case.

Thanks for your advice!

David
I take a small piece of scotch tape and place it over the screw and wrap the tap on the lug. Then simple put the screw driver int the screw head. As you back out the screw the tap will open up as the screw come up, making a perfect hole the size of the screw head. Leave the tape in place and install the new strap. I also try to remove the small bit of tape that goes into the slot in the screw head before I reinstall it. If you take your time you can keep the screw driver in place without it slipping.

Good luck and enjoy the z005 and lots of new straps.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm #4

Thanks for your advice!

David
</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

9-3Aero
Paneristi
9-3Aero
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 12:36 pm #5

Thanks for your advice!

David
I have changed straps almost every day on mine and have managed to keep my lugs pretty much scratch-less...without tape: just steady hands!
If you actually plan on wearing the watch, don't worry about it. You'll see swirlies and minor scratches on the case in no time and these will just blend in. In no time, you'll see this wear as very sought after "patina"

Micha-K-48
Paneristi
Micha-K-48
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 12:49 pm #6

Thanks for your advice!

David
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... B+%26gt%3B

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... B+%26gt%3B

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 1:49 pm #7

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

May 29th, 2012, 2:22 pm #8

nt

Montreal, Canada

EngenZerO
New User
EngenZerO
New User

May 29th, 2012, 2:47 pm #9

Thanks for your advice!

David
I performed my first strap change on my 111 a few weeks ago... I used a little piece of clear scotch tape on the lugs and went slowly and patiently when it came to removing all three screws.

One word of advice... after you get your new strap in place slide the screw in but do not tighten right away... rotate like your removing so the screw sets in correctly and proceed to tighten...