can automatics be kept running through manual winding

can automatics be kept running through manual winding

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

June 25th, 2009, 7:45 am #1

I am still considered new to the world of horology and have some really basic questions. I am currently having a PAM104 and am trying to learn more of it.
From my little understanding of the inner workings of a typical automatic watch, there is a winding rotor of which the back and forth motion created by the movements of the wrist will wind the mainspring. I read somewhere that if the watch is not worn or subject to any movements, we can still keep it running (in my case after 42 hours of not wearing it) by manually winding the watch. Can the manual winding be done on my PAM104 to avoid it running dead after a protracted period of "non-wearing" time or is it not advisable to do so? If it can be done (and does no harm to the watch) should I wind it, ie which direction should I wind it?

eal15
Paneristi
eal15
Paneristi

June 25th, 2009, 1:45 pm #2

Hi, I've had many autos and I currently have a 104k. Yes you can wind t maually I'd say about 20 - 25 times. No, it does not harm the watch.
Enjoy

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

June 26th, 2009, 3:13 am #3

20 - 25 times enough to bring it back up to about 42 hours of power reserve? Also does it make any difference if I wind it upwards or backwards?

Thanks in advance

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

June 26th, 2009, 1:17 pm #4

of winding. It will ratchet counterclockwise.

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

June 29th, 2009, 3:21 am #5

I gave my PAM104 twenty winds yesterday and a few "vigorous" shakes (after about a week of not wearing it) and it appeared to have power to lost only about 10 hours. Question is typically how many winds do i need to give the 104 to give it 42 hours of power reserve?

pamark
Paneristi
pamark
Paneristi

July 1st, 2009, 2:10 am #6

I am still considered new to the world of horology and have some really basic questions. I am currently having a PAM104 and am trying to learn more of it.
From my little understanding of the inner workings of a typical automatic watch, there is a winding rotor of which the back and forth motion created by the movements of the wrist will wind the mainspring. I read somewhere that if the watch is not worn or subject to any movements, we can still keep it running (in my case after 42 hours of not wearing it) by manually winding the watch. Can the manual winding be done on my PAM104 to avoid it running dead after a protracted period of "non-wearing" time or is it not advisable to do so? If it can be done (and does no harm to the watch) should I wind it, ie which direction should I wind it?
Wind it when you use it.

jc9394
Paneristi
jc9394
Paneristi

July 1st, 2009, 6:34 pm #7

I gave my PAM104 twenty winds yesterday and a few "vigorous" shakes (after about a week of not wearing it) and it appeared to have power to lost only about 10 hours. Question is typically how many winds do i need to give the 104 to give it 42 hours of power reserve?
probably around 50 plus from dead. If I wind my 90, it takes about 45 from 0 to 40 hours reserve mark.

jc9394
Paneristi
jc9394
Paneristi

July 1st, 2009, 6:35 pm #8

probably around 50 plus from dead. If I wind my 90, it takes about 45 from 0 to 40 hours reserve mark.

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

July 3rd, 2009, 3:17 am #9

Wind it when you use it.
Mark,

Why is that? Is it not advisable to wind an auto? I have this wierd obsession that all my watches must be seen to be continuously running, so I had to resort to exploring the possibility of manually winding the PAM104 to keep it from stopping. If there is any reasons that might adversely affect the watch in the long run from my deliberate winding of it, please do let me know. I hate to screw up this beloved watch.

Cheers