Black Shoes, Black Pants, Black Belt, BROWN Strap?!?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Black Shoes, Black Pants, Black Belt, BROWN Strap?!?

janagler
Paneristi
janagler
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:02 pm #1

I have a question for all of you. Most days to work I wear a lot of black or dark grey pants with a black belt and black shoes. When I have worn my Panerais to work, I have typically worn them with a black strap. Mainly a black gator, but sometimes a black calf and occasionally black rubber. Last night I started to change the strap on my 233 for work from the black tunnel strap and to a Tan JV and my wife looked at me like I was crazy knowing that I was probably going to be wearing black today.

Do any of you ever mix and match? I know this is personal preference and how much of a sense of style you have, but if you have to be at work in conservative business attire, do you ever mix browns and blacks? Any pictures would be appreciated! Thanks

GeraldT113
Paneristi
GeraldT113
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:06 pm #2

The rules in fashion have been burned to the ground.

Brown and Tan with Black - Oh Yeah!!
Anything goes unless it really doesn't - you'll know
when this happens.

Again, if you are talking major Dress which there is less and less of
these days, I say Go For it and Rock the JV.

Gerald

CPDay
Paneristi
CPDay
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:07 pm #3

I have a question for all of you. Most days to work I wear a lot of black or dark grey pants with a black belt and black shoes. When I have worn my Panerais to work, I have typically worn them with a black strap. Mainly a black gator, but sometimes a black calf and occasionally black rubber. Last night I started to change the strap on my 233 for work from the black tunnel strap and to a Tan JV and my wife looked at me like I was crazy knowing that I was probably going to be wearing black today.

Do any of you ever mix and match? I know this is personal preference and how much of a sense of style you have, but if you have to be at work in conservative business attire, do you ever mix browns and blacks? Any pictures would be appreciated! Thanks
I never mix m8.....(nt)

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm #4

I am on my way to east coast to attend a black tie benefit. So I decide to wear my Radiomir since it seems more dressy than the Luminors. I have both black and brown croc straps. I really love the brown one and have decided to go with that rather than matching with the black. My opinion is a bit of mixing can be very stylish and way less boring. I guess wearing the 390 would be a bit to much so I stayed with the Rad.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

jmridgway
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:12 pm #5

With more casual attire I would worry about it less but mixing the tan JV (my go to strap, by the way) with black shoes and black belt wouldn't work for me under any conditions. Just IMHO

Paninari
Paneristi
Paninari
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm #6

Black suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Black suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > NO
Black suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkgrey suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkgrey suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkgrey suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Lightgrey suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Lightgrey suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Lightgrey suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkbrown suit / black shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkbrown suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkbrown suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkblue suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkblue suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkblue suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > YES

...and now - no style sins anymore

Saluti
Paninari

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 4:36 pm #7

needn't match belt and/or shoes.

Where is Phat Guido when we need him???

____
MK
______
Mark K

ucdvwchan
Paneristi
ucdvwchan
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:02 pm #8

Brown straps tend to match well with dark attire. I actually prefer wearing brown straps to give a bit of contrast to the dark pants I usually wear for work.

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:11 pm #9

Its not about the clothes...its more on the complements. If Im wearing a black belt, shoes, shocks, I normally try to match my tie with it, and contrast with a white shirt. In that "scenario", I normally go for a black strap for the watch also.

the OEM black JV is a great strap for that occasions...or a great black & greenish gator I got from Paris

If I mix things, and wearing a blue suit, or grey pants...and brown or reddish shoes...then I also match the rest (belt, ties, shocks and straps). Greys, and blues, look great with brown complements.

I do not normally wear brown combos if Im wearing black shoes or complements

In any case, Its more a personal taste.

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:12 pm #10

Black suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Black suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > NO
Black suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkgrey suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkgrey suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkgrey suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Lightgrey suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Lightgrey suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Lightgrey suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkbrown suit / black shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkbrown suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkbrown suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > NO
Darkblue suit / black shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkblue suit / brown shoes-belt-strap > YES
Darkblue suit / tan shoes-belt-strap > YES

...and now - no style sins anymore

Saluti
Paninari

khiroshima
Paneristi
khiroshima
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:19 pm #11

needn't match belt and/or shoes.

Where is Phat Guido when we need him???

____
MK
I actually agree with this statement that a watch and strap are independent accessories, but that said, I have bought "extra" PAMs with different straps rather than changing the straps.

63C (in my mind dressier): dark brown OEM croc for suits, plus nice to have a date at work
005 (slightly less dressy): black OEM ecru croc for biz casual days
177 (casual): matte brown ammo for all casual occasions

Yes, it's easy to change straps, but I'm lazy, KH

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:22 pm #12

As long as belt and shoes match well with everything else then it's cool to have your watch stand out and say "Whoah, not me!" It becomes an accent, not a contradiction, and shows some style.

But if everything else is already dodgy (black pants, brown shoes, black belt etc.) then the watch becomes just another mismatched item that highlights a failure to look in the mirror before leaving the house

There's a difference between hanging a lantern on it vs. just being a mess

ace10101
Paneristi
ace10101
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:36 pm #13

I think mixing in that way can sometimes look ok, but IMO there isn't any getting around that sticking with the black strap in those circumstances just looks better.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 5:51 pm #14

everything

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

manta972
Paneristi
manta972
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm #15

Its not about the clothes...its more on the complements. If Im wearing a black belt, shoes, shocks, I normally try to match my tie with it, and contrast with a white shirt. In that "scenario", I normally go for a black strap for the watch also.

the OEM black JV is a great strap for that occasions...or a great black & greenish gator I got from Paris

If I mix things, and wearing a blue suit, or grey pants...and brown or reddish shoes...then I also match the rest (belt, ties, shocks and straps). Greys, and blues, look great with brown complements.

I do not normally wear brown combos if Im wearing black shoes or complements

In any case, Its more a personal taste.

Cheers

Marc

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 6:32 pm #16

As long as belt and shoes match well with everything else then it's cool to have your watch stand out and say "Whoah, not me!" It becomes an accent, not a contradiction, and shows some style.

But if everything else is already dodgy (black pants, brown shoes, black belt etc.) then the watch becomes just another mismatched item that highlights a failure to look in the mirror before leaving the house

There's a difference between hanging a lantern on it vs. just being a mess

Spain

gregcar
Paneristi
gregcar
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 7:32 pm #17

are the man...you have incredible style...you know how to put the watch with the wardrobe...here in the US not too many guys dress with any style...but, it is nice to see it in other parts of the world! My wife appreciates that I try to dress well...but, you have set the bar high!

robNY
Paneristi
robNY
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2012, 11:05 pm #18

brown strap,black belt green shoes.....

H2Finally
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2012, 5:56 am #19

(my eyes!! Arrghhh!!)

Fredrik_Swe
Paneristi
Fredrik_Swe
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2012, 10:34 am #20

PS:for you who don't know, the watch is nicknamed "Anakin Skywalker".