Beware of paypal scam!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Beware of paypal scam!

soulrider911
Paneristi

August 7th, 2017, 4:09 pm #1

I guess these are becoming more and more common. I just thought i would share my experience. So a buyer found my listing on Craigslist -FIRST RED FLAG - he and i talk back and forth through text, and he even went as far as telling me other PAM's he had purchased...

This guy was pretty good... He even called me to confirm my first and last name!

So he seemed real, genuine, etc... Explains to me he lives in Miami but will be at a business convention in NIgeria??? and to send it to an address there. I then tell him i will send an invoice. He says no, he will just send me funds??? Kinda odd right? Ao he sends funds over, and upon first glance looks legit... WELL IT WAS NOT AT ALL. Take a look at the attached pic.

The headline alone is a dead giveaway, as Paypal would never use all caps and "***" in an email header.

Long story short i almost bought it and shipped a watch and would have been out over 7k. Glad i was smart about it however and lesson learned.

mreynoldsuk
Paneristi

August 7th, 2017, 8:32 pm #2

how this would fool someone? Is the email supposedly from PP? So a spoofed email? Would you not login to PP and check that the funds were actually in your account rather than rely on an email?

Sorry if I'm missing something, just keen to understand how this scam works.

I would only accept PP from someone with great references and after a significant amount of due dliligence.
Poster formerly known as Matt Reynolds

Current stable: 001, 360, 372, 587, 721, 731
Previous stable: 000, 590, 687, 716
Wish List: Something with a T on the dial

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

August 7th, 2017, 9:22 pm #3

I guess these are becoming more and more common. I just thought i would share my experience. So a buyer found my listing on Craigslist -FIRST RED FLAG - he and i talk back and forth through text, and he even went as far as telling me other PAM's he had purchased...

This guy was pretty good... He even called me to confirm my first and last name!

So he seemed real, genuine, etc... Explains to me he lives in Miami but will be at a business convention in NIgeria??? and to send it to an address there. I then tell him i will send an invoice. He says no, he will just send me funds??? Kinda odd right? Ao he sends funds over, and upon first glance looks legit... WELL IT WAS NOT AT ALL. Take a look at the attached pic.

The headline alone is a dead giveaway, as Paypal would never use all caps and "***" in an email header.

Long story short i almost bought it and shipped a watch and would have been out over 7k. Glad i was smart about it however and lesson learned.
Always a good idea to look in paypal for the fund and not rely on an email, as you of course know. Also, if the money is sent for goods, and not as gift, the buyer can put you through all sorts of hell.

pakal
Paneristi
pakal
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 1:04 am #4

But let's just put it this way : you would have won the nobel prize for the foolest seller ever if you had just relied a 7K$ sales on a fake email.
Shipping to Nigeria ............... ahahahahaah !
p_

Acro-Pilot
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 5:27 am #5

There are just too many opportunities for payment reversals and claims to trust with anything more than a strap or something similar. I use PayPal almost every week and will continue to do so for smaller purchase or selling something worth a few hundred dollars.

Again, just my opinion but if you buyer won't send you a wire or your seller is requiring you to use PayPal, move on.
- Peter

So much more than just a watch!

mreynoldsuk
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 8:55 am #6

it cuts both ways. If a seller will only accept bank transfer then there is zero risk on the seller and this places all of the risk on the buyer. I think the key thing for me is to complete due diligence on any respective seller or buyer. We always say "buy the seller & not the watch," - same applies equally to a buyer. A little bit of time spent getting to know your buyer/seller can save much trouble further down the line.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 9:31 am #7

It's a generally accepted practice that buyers take the risk.

Personally, I demand 100% wire transfer payment upfront. If someone doesn't like that, then I don't sell to them. I would never accept PayPal for anything I cannot afford to lose, they're service is terrible. Checks..forget it.

Even wires, you need to be careful that it's really a wire and not a "bank deposit"...where someone deposits a check into your bank, it shows up as a "deposit". You think the wire came in and ship...but in reality, the check will bounce.

I don't need to "buy the buyer" because as long as the money is really there, I will sell to anyone...

There are more ways for a seller to swindle you (fake watch, mis-described, no watch)...that's why vetting the seller is more critical.

mreynoldsuk
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 10:03 am #8

as I've bought plenty of them using PP. Wire is always better, as is F2F, but if done right there is no issue with PayPal. Just my humble opinion btw, based on years of buying/selling using PP with zero issues.

clivejoel
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 10:26 am #9

There are just too many opportunities for payment reversals and claims to trust with anything more than a strap or something similar. I use PayPal almost every week and will continue to do so for smaller purchase or selling something worth a few hundred dollars.

Again, just my opinion but if you buyer won't send you a wire or your seller is requiring you to use PayPal, move on.
Never use PayPal for any purchases over $1000. You as the buyer are not covered and leave yourself open to been fleeced.

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 2:06 pm #10

I'm Lost ? Pay ya Pal ? How else would I get any ? I always pay pals 🤷‍♀️(nt)
Ohhhh So Much MORE than just a Watch 🤩 it’s the mates behind the Watch & the “Mateships” we create that simply Blows me “Away” ❤️

Cheers Beers & Hoo Roo Hammer 🔨 🇦🇺♿️👍🏻

stockae92
Paneristi
stockae92
Paneristi

August 8th, 2017, 11:07 pm #11

And a high probability of an unsuccessful scam, because (I thought) people would always log into their paypal account to verify the fund and retrieve shipping address.

Of course, they can also try to get your paypal login by a fake login page.

but man, still, that's a lot of work. They get a new level of respect from me for commitment of quality of scam .... NOT!

:D

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

August 9th, 2017, 1:07 am #12

Then chuck up the deuces.