Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

beating a dead horse ...

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 9:24 pm #1

luxury brands are luxury brands because they offer luxury, right?

I am not a historian but I would guess that officine panerai would have never gotten their marina militaire contracts if they werent offering the best quality.

I hope this 318 story was a single slip up because the continuance will certainly lead to a decline in popularity. Paneristi will continue to exist but how do you expect the brand to grow if this blatant disregard for quality persists.

A michelin starred restaurant would never serve scoop of B&J's chunky monkey for desert, Hermes wouldnt offer faux leather and Panerai shouldnt have offered an unfinished movement (solid back or not).

I will be giving them a second chance and even a third but it is still unacceptable no matter what the resale value or brand history says.

But hey it could have been worse, it could have been quartz ... oh but i guess that would have been ok though because the movement doesnt matter!

Happy Monday

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 9:39 pm #2

reconsidering my post, a scoop of chunky monkey would be acceptable at michelin restaurant so long as it had a fancy garnish, the bare scoop probably wouldnt be enough for me

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 9:55 pm #3

I am not a historian but I would guess that officine panerai would have never gotten their marina militaire contracts if they werent offering the best quality.

I hope this 318 story was a single slip up because the continuance will certainly lead to a decline in popularity. Paneristi will continue to exist but how do you expect the brand to grow if this blatant disregard for quality persists.

A michelin starred restaurant would never serve scoop of B&J's chunky monkey for desert, Hermes wouldnt offer faux leather and Panerai shouldnt have offered an unfinished movement (solid back or not).

I will be giving them a second chance and even a third but it is still unacceptable no matter what the resale value or brand history says.

But hey it could have been worse, it could have been quartz ... oh but i guess that would have been ok though because the movement doesnt matter!

Happy Monday
is so much more than a movement ................. and you'll feel better

There is a copyright on this right now, like for 47 is the new 44

Cheers & Slogans

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 9:57 pm #4

Happy Monday
Panerai was never known for great movements - until they developed their own. None of this should be a surprise to the old timers. The fact is, we love the damn things as they are.

We need to get over the current "movement crisis" and move on.

Let ø = Accessories Vendor Market
Strapmakers = all vendors regardless if they sell straps or not

scfong
Paneristi
scfong
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 10:00 pm #5

is so much more than a movement ................. and you'll feel better

There is a copyright on this right now, like for 47 is the new 44

Cheers & Slogans

Cheers,
SC

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 10:24 pm #6

Panerai was never known for great movements - until they developed their own. None of this should be a surprise to the old timers. The fact is, we love the damn things as they are.

I dont even think it's a movement crisis as much as an identity crisis. If you don't like a simple robust movement in an expensive watch then maybe you should read into their history and see thats what they've always offered if you and appreciate that than perhaps their inhouse pieces are a better choice for you.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 10:38 pm #7

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 10:54 pm #8

I agree with most of what you're saying....

It seems like a few people are just finding out that Panerai uses $100 ETA movements in a lot of their watches... movement finishing aside I'm pretty sure the 318's movement is the same that's found in any number of Panerais, regardless of finish, including in all the PAM's I currently own. I agree that this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone, Panerai even puts clear backs on many of these watches, no one should be shocked that for years Panerai has used comparatively "cheap" movements in their watches... even if they do put a nice level of finish on them they're still uncomplicated ETA movements.

But personally what I do find surprising is that Panerai would drop a completely unfinished movement in a watch. I would think that something as simple as pride in their product would be enough to encourage them to at least slap their normal level of finish on the movements in those 318's.

So for me, there is indeed an element of surprise here... not about the movement itself, but just that they would put it in a watch without improving at least it's looks to be commensurate with the quality of the rest of the watch.

But really, I don't see it as a big deal in the grand scheme. My guess is they won't do it again, not after all this... discussion.... it's caused

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm #9

davidhockney
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:08 pm #10

Happy Monday
Many people's aftermarket straps for their Pam cost
more money than the watch movement itself........it seems slightly wrong

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:11 pm #11

-luke

azcodman
Paneristi
azcodman
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:11 pm #12

It seems like a few people are just finding out that Panerai uses $100 ETA movements in a lot of their watches... movement finishing aside I'm pretty sure the 318's movement is the same that's found in any number of Panerais, regardless of finish, including in all the PAM's I currently own. I agree that this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone, Panerai even puts clear backs on many of these watches, no one should be shocked that for years Panerai has used comparatively "cheap" movements in their watches... even if they do put a nice level of finish on them they're still uncomplicated ETA movements.

But personally what I do find surprising is that Panerai would drop a completely unfinished movement in a watch. I would think that something as simple as pride in their product would be enough to encourage them to at least slap their normal level of finish on the movements in those 318's.

So for me, there is indeed an element of surprise here... not about the movement itself, but just that they would put it in a watch without improving at least it's looks to be commensurate with the quality of the rest of the watch.

But really, I don't see it as a big deal in the grand scheme. My guess is they won't do it again, not after all this... discussion.... it's caused

But I was very surprised at how raw that movement was as well. I bought a $150 sterile knock off a year ago for my wife to wear, and it has the very same movement in an exhibition back. Case, dial, hands, two crystals and the movement and I'm certain the seller made a profit as it's what he does.

I always thought the Angelus movement in the 203 looked rather raw as well, and although I was chided for wondering why they didn't decorate it a bit, I gave in as I'd not likely ever get the opportunity to purchase one at retail. But I promise not to complain one bit if that were to happen!

I love the Unitas movements found in many of our watches, but not as they come completely untouched from the manufacturer.

Keith

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:11 pm #13

-luke

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:18 pm #14

stingerstingray
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:25 pm #15

Happy Monday
other aesthetics, do the newer models with their inhouse movement really worth the prices they demand? I have given my deposit on one of the new model, 372, and am excited about owning one. However, there are many other quality watches I can attain for the same price range (both new and Especially pre-owned), including jlc, iwc, zenith, franck muller, rolex, vacheron, ap, even patek (calatrava) and on and on. I understand that these brands offer different designs; but, they are all great watches with a long horological history. Ill admit, of all the brands aforementioned, I love the Panerais style and its history more than others. But, do the overall quality and the movement panerai has to offer, especially with their inhouse movement, justify the prices they ask for. I would like to hear your opinions.

Pam 112; Rolex GMT MasterII

demand-n-supply
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:34 pm #16

Happy Monday
Atleast can we call it the sidekick movement since it's unfinished like me.

Thanks

and sometimes a scoop of Ben & Jerry's is all you need. Well I eat it by the pint for Dinner. Yum give me a star!!!

Look for what's inside before you make up your mind

Saw you downtown singing the blues It's time to face the music, I'm longer your muse
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
http://www.neeraj.net/nranra.jpg http://www.neeraj.net/ca.jpg
In my universe I can't be wrong All those opposed just move along

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:36 pm #17

Really what is your beef here? Panerai has been using these same ETA movements for decades, now all of a sudden you see one without some fancy cote-de-geneve finish on it and you're on the warpath about it? I don't get it.

Until very recently MOST Panerais had this type of movement, if not the same exact one, in them... granted with a higher level of finish, but do you really think that some blued screws and a swan neck regulator make that big of a difference? If you don't like "cheap" movements Panerai isn't a great brand to be interested in in the first place, at least until pretty recently. So now you can buy the manuffature line exclusively and your problems are solved.

demand-n-supply
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:36 pm #18

Saw you downtown singing the blues It's time to face the music, I'm longer your muse
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
http://www.neeraj.net/nranra.jpg http://www.neeraj.net/ca.jpg
In my universe I can't be wrong All those opposed just move along

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:38 pm #19

But I was very surprised at how raw that movement was as well. I bought a $150 sterile knock off a year ago for my wife to wear, and it has the very same movement in an exhibition back. Case, dial, hands, two crystals and the movement and I'm certain the seller made a profit as it's what he does.

I always thought the Angelus movement in the 203 looked rather raw as well, and although I was chided for wondering why they didn't decorate it a bit, I gave in as I'd not likely ever get the opportunity to purchase one at retail. But I promise not to complain one bit if that were to happen!

I love the Unitas movements found in many of our watches, but not as they come completely untouched from the manufacturer.

Keith

My history is a bit fuzzy, but aren't the Angelus movements in the 203 NOS vintage movements? In which case I would not want them to be any different than the same movements found in actual vintage pieces, which I don't think had any decorative finish on them either.

With the 318 movement though, there's obviously a case for why it should be at least decorated as nicely as the other ETA movements found under solid backs like the zero etc.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

October 24th, 2011, 11:40 pm #20