Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Anyone use spring bars in their Luminor?

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 3:11 pm #1

Hey guys - have a question. I noticed when mounting my new straps (with tubes) that the fit against the case was pretty tight initially, and it took a bit of work to get the screw bar back in and aligned. I'm guessing this is mostly because these are brand new straps.

Now, I back-turned prior to screwing the bars back in and everything went smooth, but it got me thinking. What are the chances of stripping a lug? That would really suck. Anyone ever use spring bars to avoid potential stripping issues? Or am I just paranoid?

Thanks!!

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 3:58 pm #2

There is no chance of stripping if you use caution as you have shown. I always turn backwards until I feel/hear the threads mesh, then I tighten. If you do this I don't see how you could possibly strip a thread. You'd have to be very aggressive and ham-fisted. I've been changing straps for 12 years with zero issues.
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:04 pm #3

That's great to hear and very reassuring! Thank you Beef! NT

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:06 pm #4

Hey guys - have a question. I noticed when mounting my new straps (with tubes) that the fit against the case was pretty tight initially, and it took a bit of work to get the screw bar back in and aligned. I'm guessing this is mostly because these are brand new straps.

Now, I back-turned prior to screwing the bars back in and everything went smooth, but it got me thinking. What are the chances of stripping a lug? That would really suck. Anyone ever use spring bars to avoid potential stripping issues? Or am I just paranoid?

Thanks!!
It's because the strap and tube are not lined up with the holes in the lugs

Also tightness could be from strap edge material getting push up (or down) depending how you mount your straps.

If you notice any loose material around the tube area. Trim it away as it could also get pushed in front of the screw hole and get pressed in.

I assume your using OEM tubes?

DON

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm #5

Yes, OEM tubes. It wasn't crazy tight, like I had force the screws in or anything, it was more like the leather was pretty thick at the lug area (thicker than the OEM at least) that made it a bit more difficult to align. Once I shifted it around a bit, the screw dropped through - it just wasn't as quick as when I changed between OEM leather and rubber.

I think part of it is getting used to strap switching as I'm new at this, but I certainly don't want to damage anything. Perhaps I should not use tubes with aftermarket straps?

I'll check for loose material, but didn't notice any initially.

Thanks!!

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:39 pm #6

Always use tubes. nt
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:41 pm #7

The tubes allow the strap to rotate around the screw, friction free. If you don't use tubes it's possible that the strap can catch on the screw and loosen it.
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:43 pm #8

And that's why I was using them. I'll continue to do so - thanks!

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 4:53 pm #9

Some hand made straps will fatten up around the curved case side making it difficult to fit in like a normal OEM strap.

If thats the case. Mount the strap 90 degrees (hanging down) to the case as the leather on the underside may be thinner

Most makers probably don't have a leather splitter to thin material and have to use what they can to thin the leather (or not)

DON

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 5:06 pm #10

Where the leather was fattening around the case edge - and that's great advice on the 90 degree trick, that's actually how I got it in place in the end, but I bet it would have been smoother if I'd started out at that angle. Next time I will - thanks!!

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 6:00 pm #11

Thanks!!
It's very much appreciated.

I'm sure everyone else already knows it, but it's a great bunch of people here. Tip of the cap to you Gentlemen.

panerik
Paneristi
panerik
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 9:42 pm #12

Thanks!!
And I agree with all that Don and Beef suggested...spot on...

The only other thing I would add is that innthe beginning, I found strap changes to be easiest in a relaxed environment and without a lot of time pressure...that is, if you are in a rush to get out or do something, that is not a good time to start changing straps as there is a great likelihood of scratches, screws stripping, etc...

And maybe your next PAM will have the easy pin button strap change system!!

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 10:17 pm #13

Definitely good advice Panerik - I'll keep it in mind! :) NT

CT372DUDE
Paneristi
CT372DUDE
Paneristi

April 13th, 2017, 10:25 pm #14

Thanks!!
I thought the same thing because I change straps on a daily basis to go with what I'm wearing, I know girlie, haha.
Anyways I thought just a year of this and it's gotta strip the lugs and then the watch is useless. But I did some research and from what I've read it's much much more likely that the screws will get stripped, not the lugs. A Panerai AD told me this as well.
But on another note I really need to learn patience when changing straps cuz my 2 PAMS have quite a few scratches on the lugs from screwdriver slips. Totally my fault and I know it, but you'll be just fine changing straps.

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 12:02 am #15

Sounds like I'll be ok!! I appreciate the long-term test feedback. That's a lot of strap changes!

In regards to slips with the screwdriver, I'm sure they'll happen eventually no matter careful you are - so I'll try not to worry about them when / if they do.

LACrows
Paneristi
LACrows
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 3:43 am #16

The only other thing I would add is that innthe beginning, I found strap changes to be easiest in a relaxed environment and without a lot of time pressure...that is, if you are in a rush to get out or do something, that is not a good time to start changing straps as there is a great likelihood of scratches, screws stripping, etc...

- Q -

paulee53
Paneristi
paulee53
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 9:29 am #17

Thanks!!
bit of scotch tape around the lugs when I change straps on my 112 so if I do slip I don't scratch the case

JohnCoburn
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 10:19 am #18

Gotta be cool hand Luke!

Gorilla_Wrists
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm #19

bit of scotch tape around the lugs when I change straps on my 112 so if I do slip I don't scratch the case
Also a good idea!! NT

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 8:35 pm #20

There is no chance of stripping if you use caution as you have shown. I always turn backwards until I feel/hear the threads mesh, then I tighten. If you do this I don't see how you could possibly strip a thread. You'd have to be very aggressive and ham-fisted. I've been changing straps for 12 years with zero issues.
+1 [nt]