Advice needed regarding servicing historic Panerai (tritium dial and hands)

suiris
Paneristi
suiris
Paneristi

October 11th, 2009, 2:04 pm #1

I am thinking about picking up a 001B with tritium dial and hands and am wondering how you guys (that are lucky enough to have historic pieces) service/maintain them? This will be my first Panerai with tritium dial and hands.
1.) If I send it to Panerai, will they leave my tritium hands alone; if I ask them to?
2.) Can this old manual wind movement be serviced long term without damaging the hands or causing them to fit too loosely on the watch or fall off?
3.) Do you send your older tritium Panerai watches to non-Panerai watch service/repair people?
4.) Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joel Cox
Magnolia, Delaware

quapaw
Paneristi
quapaw
Paneristi

October 12th, 2009, 5:53 pm #2

caution anyone in sending a T-dialed PAM back to the PASC. My understanding is they are out of tritium parts and if there is any indication that it's needed will replace the hands or dial with the luminova versions. The concern specifically in the hands is if there is a hint of flaking of the tritium they will be changed out to avoid anything finding it's way into the movement.

The ETA movement in the 1B is not a complex machine and should be serviceable by any competent repair facility.

There are AD, Panerai approved repair facilities across the US and my personal choice is to use one of these. My particular choice is a close enough drive that I can deliver a watch in person, discuss what I want done and discuss with the AD what his thoughts are as well as getting a price estimate. You may not be fortunate enough to have someone close but I would avoid sending any of the historics in to the PASC.

__

Quapaw/NorCal