A boring(?) "which one" question: 249 or 339

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

A boring(?) "which one" question: 249 or 339

shadowman50
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 8:54 am #1

So similar in many ways but then quite different. For similar money, which one?

My only current Rad is a 232.

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 9:30 am #2

If it's between the 249 or 339 then personally I'd go for the 339.

The 448 is also a good bet if you like the Cali.

GUSH

shadowman50
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 9:50 am #3

...but, the 448 will be hard to get hold of and of this years releases i cannot abide the 'VINTAGE' engraving which utterly ruins the case for my taste. A 249 was to be my next purchase but finding a real 'minter' has eluded me so far. Now a very well-priced, unworn 339 has presented itself which in terms of VFM leads the 249 by a country mile, imo. But perhaps isn't a classic, at least not yet anyway!

maystraps
New User
maystraps
New User

April 14th, 2012, 10:06 am #4

I think the 339 is technically the better watch. From the look I also go for the 339. The 249 is a beautiful watch, if you like the dial - at least it is an ETA movement inside and I think the prices will fall after the new calis are released. So also in the financial point of view the 339 is the better one to go for, but this is just my 2 cents.

LDP06
Paneristi
LDP06
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 2:09 pm #5

I have the good fortune to own both, a 249 and a 339. Besides being 47mm Radiomirs and SE's, they are quite different from each other. As far as value, I don't believe the 249 will take a hit but we have to wait to prove that one. Most people who have a 249 do for its simplicity and that Cali dial. It's engraving of Opus Facere is insightful and meaningful. I'm not sure what Vintage is meant to represent on the 448.

Having said all that, I go back to value. I believe the 339 is a future grail and if your speaking of similar costs to acquire either one, the 339 is the clear choice in my opinion. Although this watch bosts many features that are uniquely combined, it's subtleness impresses me everytime I wear it. And may I say it wears so lightly that you may forget your wearing anything at all.

At the end of the day it's what you want. I hope you've had the opportunity to see both in person and try them on. One of the two should have pained you to take off and return, that's the one for you.

-LDP

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 2:32 pm #6

I love the classic look of the Cali. Just wore it yesterday and fell in love all over again. You can rock in on an ammo and it's rugged; you can put it on a gator and it's pretty dressy. On the right day, it's my favorite watch.
The 448, however, makes the Cali a little less unique.
The 339 brownie wears on my wrist like a dream. The assolutamente strap is just perfect. It has a stealthy, almost mean look to it. The Brevettatto and MM insignia are awesome. The fears that some have (I have had no signs of any issues) keeps the 339 from going way up in price, so you can get one for a reasonable sum.
I know, I'm a big help. I think what it comes down to is which one you love more. I don't think you can go wrong.
Good luck with your decision.
Greg

100thmonkey
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 7:18 pm #7

Having had the 249 I have to say it photographs alot better than it actually looks and feels so the 339 would be my preference and it appears to be a superb unit

tatuaje
Paneristi
tatuaje
Paneristi

April 14th, 2012, 8:17 pm #8

I choose it without any doubt

steveroadking
Paneristi

April 15th, 2012, 11:43 am #9

I have the good fortune to own both, a 249 and a 339. Besides being 47mm Radiomirs and SE's, they are quite different from each other. As far as value, I don't believe the 249 will take a hit but we have to wait to prove that one. Most people who have a 249 do for its simplicity and that Cali dial. It's engraving of Opus Facere is insightful and meaningful. I'm not sure what Vintage is meant to represent on the 448.

Having said all that, I go back to value. I believe the 339 is a future grail and if your speaking of similar costs to acquire either one, the 339 is the clear choice in my opinion. Although this watch bosts many features that are uniquely combined, it's subtleness impresses me everytime I wear it. And may I say it wears so lightly that you may forget your wearing anything at all.

At the end of the day it's what you want. I hope you've had the opportunity to see both in person and try them on. One of the two should have pained you to take off and return, that's the one for you.

-LDP
Also share the same pleasure of both:)

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway