372 - production count

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

372 - production count

Myraid
Paneristi
Myraid
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 2:31 pm #1

I am just wondering if anyone can tell my why the production count is so high on this watch. 3500 seems like a lot. Even my PAM 88 is only 3000.

I am looking to get a 372 in mid March, but was just wondering about this one thing.

By the way, I am very new to the forum and own have two Panerai's in my watch collection, a PAM 88 and a PAM 305.

Cheers
Shawn

gfriedell
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 2:36 pm #2

In this case perhaps they wanted to make 3500 Paneristis happy???

craniotes
Paneristi
craniotes
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 3:26 pm #3

I am just wondering if anyone can tell my why the production count is so high on this watch. 3500 seems like a lot. Even my PAM 88 is only 3000.

I am looking to get a 372 in mid March, but was just wondering about this one thing.

By the way, I am very new to the forum and own have two Panerai's in my watch collection, a PAM 88 and a PAM 305.

Cheers
Shawn
There is some speculation that this number represents the sum total of all 372s that Panerai intends to make, and that after #3500 ships from the factory that's all she wrote. If this scenario is to be believed, then no, you won't be seeing an O-series or P-series after this run is finished.

Is this how it's going down? I have no idea. All I do know is that I have #501 on my wrist as I type this, and I fervently hope that everyone who wants one gets one (sans flipper tax, naturally).

Regards,
Adam

Skyworker
Paneristi
Skyworker
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 3:54 pm #4

.... makes sense to me, but as always, you never know with Panerai.

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 4:23 pm #5

Cheers
Shawn
It does seem like a really high count for a 47mm two-handed watch that's over $10k msrp.

On the other hand, as Gary said... maybe they just wanted to make 3500 risti's really happy

I'd hate to be Panerai... if they make too few of one model everyone has a cow about not being able to get it, why didn't they make more etc.

If they make more than enough of another model everyone wonders why they made so many, it's not exclusive enough etc.

They literally can't win for trying!

Not aimed at you at all Shawn, yours is a fair question and I also wonder how the 3500 will work out for them. I'm very curious to see if the first run sells out, and if it does will there be another run? And how big will it be? I find it very hard to believe that Joe Consumer will drop $10k+ on a watch like the 372...

Maybe they're just using it as a gauge of how big "the community" is... you know, they release something that really only a 'risti would be into, but that we'd REALLY be into... and see how many they can sell. Now they have at least a rough idea how big of a production run they can make and reasonably expect to sell them all.....

SachinG
Paneristi
SachinG
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 6:12 pm #6

Cheers
Shawn
unless you count OOR

Sachin

Panerai74
Paneristi
Panerai74
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 7:03 pm #7

Cheers
Shawn
Dont think they only make 3500 pieces,it is here to stay.
Love the 372, I had one sold it,,it was to big for my wrist. 44mm is what I prefer, if just Panerai would make one with Plexi

By G

X2TIME
Paneristi
X2TIME
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 11:21 pm #8

Cheers
Shawn
Is it from other posts on this forum? Just speculation and rumor, where did the first guy hear it from that gives it ANY credibility?

Why would Panerai announce this watch as regular production and then only produce it for one year? Isn't that in effect a Limited Edition? 3500 units does not seem like a lot of watches for a model that everyone has been asking for forever.

Has there ever been a regular production watch only produced for one year before?

SachinG
Paneristi
SachinG
Paneristi

February 28th, 2012, 11:41 pm #9

1) when the the watch was first announced it was a series of 3000..... When the watch came out it was 3500....they added more because they are planning only one larger series!

2) if you look at the 448 and 449... Special edition of 500... Changed to 750.... I know it was originally announced as a special edition but still changed so that more could get it!!! Like the 372!!!

3) finally look at the pattern.... P3000 movement plus plexiglas glass = special = limited pcs = 3500 pcs of 372 = 1 series only

4) too special a watch to flood the market with a second batch ... Goes against marketing strategy and what this brand is

5) 372 does not equal 112

Sachin

andyhunt
Paneristi
andyhunt
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 12:15 am #10

Is it from other posts on this forum? Just speculation and rumor, where did the first guy hear it from that gives it ANY credibility?

Why would Panerai announce this watch as regular production and then only produce it for one year? Isn't that in effect a Limited Edition? 3500 units does not seem like a lot of watches for a model that everyone has been asking for forever.

Has there ever been a regular production watch only produced for one year before?
At SIHH in Jan 2011.
Panerai originally said a single run of 3,000 pcs released over 2 years and since then no one from Pamerai has catorgorically said anything different.

So until I see an 'O' or 'P' series then I still believe the 372 is a single run piece.

"Going to London, what for mate, the Jubilee, the Olympics?"

"Nah, P-Day mate!!"

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 12:51 am #11

1) when the the watch was first announced it was a series of 3000..... When the watch came out it was 3500....they added more because they are planning only one larger series!

2) if you look at the 448 and 449... Special edition of 500... Changed to 750.... I know it was originally announced as a special edition but still changed so that more could get it!!! Like the 372!!!

3) finally look at the pattern.... P3000 movement plus plexiglas glass = special = limited pcs = 3500 pcs of 372 = 1 series only

4) too special a watch to flood the market with a second batch ... Goes against marketing strategy and what this brand is

5) 372 does not equal 112

Sachin
These rumors about the 372 being only one run have been around for awhile but I still haven't seen a single factual, understandable explanation of why people think this.

The 372 has been regular production from the moment it was announced, there has never been anything even remotely indicating that it's a one-run watch.

For instance, regarding your points....

1) How does changing the number produced in this run have anything to do with whether or not there will be more runs? Maybe they just made 500 extra cases on accident and decided to make them into watches. Maybe they got info from AD's that there would be higher than expected demand, so they made more. There's a million reasons that make sense, but the idea that they decided to increase the number because this was going to be the only run... I don't see how those things are even connected?

2) 448 and 449 are SE's, announced as such. 372 is not an SE and was announced as regular production from the outset. So again... how are these things connected? It's like saying "Apple released a new Macbook.... then they changed the screen on the iMac, so the Macbook is going to be discontinued!" There's nothing about these things that are related except they're from the same company and are similar products.

3) I don't even know what this one means... This appears to be some dark math that is well beyond my ken.

4) I actually agree with the last half of this one... Releasing the 372 as regular production does seem to be contrary to how Panerai has done things in the past. Then again, there has been a virtually constant hum of discontent about the limited nature of the super-cool SE's, so perhaps it's just as simple as the fact that Panerai is responding to the rumblings and has released an awesome watch that everyone can get if they want it.

5) Again, I don't even know what this means?

The bottom line is... I agree that it seems generally weird that Panerai released so many 372's and has indicated that they will continue to release more. Beyond the fact that it's a break from their normal way of doing things, it's hard to believe that a two-handed stainless steel watch that costs $10k will have much appeal beyond the risti community.

But regardless of the weirdness factor Panerai has stated that the watch is regular production and has offered nothing I can see in the way of changing that statement. No one has produced even a shred of actual viable evidence that the 372 will be discontinued after the first run, so until I see that evidence or the watch is actually discontinued after one run... I don't buy it.

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 12:55 am #12

At SIHH in Jan 2011.
Panerai originally said a single run of 3,000 pcs released over 2 years and since then no one from Pamerai has catorgorically said anything different.

So until I see an 'O' or 'P' series then I still believe the 372 is a single run piece.

"Going to London, what for mate, the Jubilee, the Olympics?"

"Nah, P-Day mate!!"
I could have sworn that when the 372 was released many people were asking if it was regular production and the response from someone at SIHH was that Panerai had confirmed it was regular production....

I'll see if I can find that.

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 1:05 am #13

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... +is+an+SE-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... ion+or+no-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... on+372----

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... l+be+made-

This link indicates that Antony(UK) spoke to a Panerai/Richemont rep in the UK who confirmed the watch is not LE or SE.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... s+year+and

This link includes Martin's response that he heard at SIHH that the 372 would be ongoing production...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... s%21%21%21

I stick with my belief that the 372 is regular production and has been from the start, just poorly explained in somewhat normal Panerai style

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 1:45 am #14

These rumors about the 372 being only one run have been around for awhile but I still haven't seen a single factual, understandable explanation of why people think this.

The 372 has been regular production from the moment it was announced, there has never been anything even remotely indicating that it's a one-run watch.

1) How does changing the number produced in this run have anything to do with whether or not there will be more runs? Maybe they just made 500 extra cases on accident and decided to make them into watches. Maybe they got info from AD's that there would be higher than expected demand, so they made more. There's a million reasons that make sense, but the idea that they decided to increase the number because this was going to be the only run... I don't see how those things are even connected?

2) 448 and 449 are SE's, announced as such. 372 is not an SE and was announced as regular production from the outset. So again... how are these things connected? It's like saying "Apple released a new Macbook.... then they changed the screen on the iMac, so the Macbook is going to be discontinued!" There's nothing about these things that are related except they're from the same company and are similar products.

3) I don't even know what this one means... This appears to be some dark math that is well beyond my ken.

4) I actually agree with the last half of this one... Releasing the 372 as regular production does seem to be contrary to how Panerai has done things in the past. Then again, there has been a virtually constant hum of discontent about the limited nature of the super-cool SE's, so perhaps it's just as simple as the fact that Panerai is responding to the rumblings and has released an awesome watch that everyone can get if they want it.

The bottom line is... I agree that it seems generally weird that Panerai released so many 372's and has indicated that they will continue to release more. Beyond the fact that it's a break from their normal way of doing things, it's hard to believe that a two-handed stainless steel watch that costs $10k will have much appeal beyond the risti community.

But regardless of the weirdness factor Panerai has stated that the watch is regular production and has offered nothing I can see in the way of changing that statement. No one has produced even a shred of actual viable evidence that the 372 will be discontinued after the first run, so until I see that evidence or the watch is actually discontinued after one run... I don't buy it.

It does appear after looking back at the original release there has been some confusion from day one about whether or not the 372 is "regular production" as in on going or "regular production" as in not an LE but only going to be one run.

But one thing seems to be pretty clear... it was never labeled as an SE or LE.

IMO if the 372 were going to be only one run they would have simply called it an LE. So for my money, the fact that they call it regular production and never referred to it as an LE or SE in any way indicates to me more than one run is planned.

SachinG
Paneristi
SachinG
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 2:15 am #15

I have always enjoyed reading your posts..... I enjoyed your response as well... You make great points!!
I think it's a fun topic to discuss and debate..... In actual reality nobody really knows what Panerai is going to do with the 372.... This is why this brand is so much fun!!!

I think from the beginning at least to me there has been confusion whether it was one run of 3000 over 2 years or continued production. It's now more confusing as they came out with 3500..... I do have to disagree about making 500 by accident ...lol nothing they do is by accident!!!

My weird math points to how special I think the 372 is!!! It seems the plexiglas models are the special edition models and although 372 is regular production there is something really special about it.... To me a 112 is a regular base production model the 372 is so much more!!!

I love my 372, worn it for 44 straight days!!!! Regular production, limited run...don't matter.... The debate will go on until we hear something from the mother ship!!!

Sachin

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 5:34 am #16

Cheers
Shawn
This was after the SIHH show. He answered very quickly that the 372 would end after 3,500 units.

I think we can expect more similar models using the same case, such as the 422 and 423.
In my opinion, Panerai called this model a "regular production" run because it was not presented as a "special edition."

Time will tell how this will play out, but one thing is certain; the 372 is a special watch, likely limited to 3,500 in its current form and you better get one while you can.

X2TIME
Paneristi
X2TIME
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 6:30 am #17

A quick review:

1) Panerai made a production adjustment, perhaps feedback from boutiques, perhaps a readjustment to account for new boutiques opening this year, perhaps an adjustment for the large Asian market, again this says nothing about the watch being ended at 3500 units.

2) Again a production number readjustment of SE announced watches having nothing to do with the 372.

3) The 372 is a special watch that incorporates a plexiglass crystal. The plexiglass is not special in and of itself. The P3000 is slated to be Panerai's in-house manual workhorse movement. Special? Probably not. No indication here that this will lead to the 372 ending at 3500 units.

4) A logical argument here so why announce it as regular production and list it as such on the Panerai website?

5) Yeah, a 372 isn't a 112 that's why it costs twice as much. But can it be compared to the worldwide popularity of the 312 or 359 that are up to runs of 4000, I believe, I think yes.

Yes, the 372 is special. I guess most can't believe that it's actually here. It's a modern Vintage reproduction and it's gorgeous. So it's unfathomable that it's NOT a Special Edition. But maybe Panerai produced one like this for everyone to have a chance at acquiring (it's still $10400, you know). Just maybe...

The single run over two (or more) years also doesn't make much sense. Why list it as regular production and then produce it into another production year? People are confusing this with the 127 run which was an SE and as the first major 47mm watch for Panerai was spread over a few years. And it even had price increases, I believe. I think the market today is ready for some 47mm vintage looking PAMs, what do you say?

Yeah, until it is actually stopped at 3500, I don't buy it either....

X2TIME
Paneristi
X2TIME
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 6:41 am #18

This was after the SIHH show. He answered very quickly that the 372 would end after 3,500 units.

I think we can expect more similar models using the same case, such as the 422 and 423.
In my opinion, Panerai called this model a "regular production" run because it was not presented as a "special edition."

Time will tell how this will play out, but one thing is certain; the 372 is a special watch, likely limited to 3,500 in its current form and you better get one while you can.
...why didn't they release it as an SE of 3500 units and put it in a large SE display case with a scroll from the beginning? What's the point of confirming it as regular production, listing it with the Contemporary watches and then only doing one series?

X2TIME
Paneristi
X2TIME
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 6:47 am #19

Excuse me, listing it with Historic pieces...

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

February 29th, 2012, 7:21 am #20

...why didn't they release it as an SE of 3500 units and put it in a large SE display case with a scroll from the beginning? What's the point of confirming it as regular production, listing it with the Contemporary watches and then only doing one series?
...as regular production, but in somewhat small quantities per year? They could have called it regular production, produced 700 per year for 5 years and still only produced 3,500. I guess they are striking while the iron is hot.