372 Plexi

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

372 Plexi

padronanniversario
Paneristi

March 29th, 2012, 8:34 pm #1

So, I recently acquired a 372 and am loving it. It was a nice addition to my little collection (292 and 329). I love the look of the plexi but have been worried about it getting scratched so I find I am extra careful when wearing this piece. Has anyone had any major issues with the plexi? Has anyone had to swap out the original plexi for the replacement shipped with the watch? Thanks risti!

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

March 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm #2

And if that doesn't work, there's vodka.

nxpham
Paneristi
nxpham
Paneristi

March 29th, 2012, 11:44 pm #3

So, I recently acquired a 372 and am loving it. It was a nice addition to my little collection (292 and 329). I love the look of the plexi but have been worried about it getting scratched so I find I am extra careful when wearing this piece. Has anyone had any major issues with the plexi? Has anyone had to swap out the original plexi for the replacement shipped with the watch? Thanks risti!
plexi sux. plexi is not sexy. especially when you have swirls all over your watch masking the face of the watch.

372's face is awesome. 372's case is awesome. but the plexi suck azz.

that's why the new 2012 releases 422 and 423 with the same case has sapphire crystal instead.

i guess panerai listens and says screw trying to be vintage. we can look vintage and still have modern technology in the watch. hence, the 422 and 423 with the vintage looks and modern tech ( movement, crystal instead of fugly plexi).

good luck trying to keep the ugly swirls scratches off of your plexi glass.

sapphire crystals rules.....

you don't see rolex putting plexiglass on their new releases in the name of vintage. then again you don't see rolex go bankrupt and get bought out by richemont either like panerai did back in the last decade or so.

372 looks great. best release in my opinion in a long while. just wish they stuck a sapphire crystal on it instead. maybe now that the 422 and 423 with the exact same case has the sapphire crystal they might make some new 372's for 2012 or on with sapphire crystal instead. if you like the plexi then you can pay a premium for the older ones with the wear and tear. haha

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 12:17 am #4

LOL

I 100% disagree with everything you say except that the 372 is the best release Panerai has made in a long time. And it's precisely BECAUSE of the plexi that I feel that way. If the 372 had a sapphire cyrstal I'd still like it, but only about 80% as much as I do now. If it had a sapphire crystal it would be just another modern Panerai with some vintage flair. But with the plexi crystal, it's a true vintage hommage.

Anyways, if you're all about sapphire, there's about a trillion watches out there with sapphire, buy one. But in the mean time, how about letting those of us who prefer things that are a bit different and more interesting have a watch or two as well, huh?

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 12:22 am #5

Contrary to the nay-sayers, plexi is way tougher than you think. I wear my 372 pretty much 24/7 and I do not baby it, so far I don't even really have any swirlies, let alone real scratches.

The fact is, I've owned many watches with sapphire and quite a few with plexi and so far I've had 3 watches that had issues with the sapphire, two of which required service to fix those issues. The plexi watches are going strong and have required not a second thought. People get all wound up about what they THINK will happen, but usually the people with the most to say on the topic have spent the least amount of time actually wearing watches with plexi crystals

johnnychum
Paneristi
johnnychum
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 12:29 am #6

plexi sux. plexi is not sexy. especially when you have swirls all over your watch masking the face of the watch.

that's why the new 2012 releases 422 and 423 with the same case has sapphire crystal instead.

i guess panerai listens and says screw trying to be vintage. we can look vintage and still have modern technology in the watch. hence, the 422 and 423 with the vintage looks and modern tech ( movement, crystal instead of fugly plexi).

you don't see rolex putting plexiglass on their new releases in the name of vintage. then again you don't see rolex go bankrupt and get bought out by richemont either like panerai did back in the last decade or so.

372 looks great. best release in my opinion in a long while. just wish they stuck a sapphire crystal on it instead. maybe now that the 422 and 423 with the exact same case has the sapphire crystal they might make some new 372's for 2012 or on with sapphire crystal instead. if you like the plexi then you can pay a premium for the older ones with the wear and tear. haha
What do you want to accomplish with such stupidity?!

Johnnychum
Montreal, Quebec.

dukerules
Paneristi
dukerules
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 12:34 am #7

LOL

I 100% disagree with everything you say except that the 372 is the best release Panerai has made in a long time. And it's precisely BECAUSE of the plexi that I feel that way. If the 372 had a sapphire cyrstal I'd still like it, but only about 80% as much as I do now. If it had a sapphire crystal it would be just another modern Panerai with some vintage flair. But with the plexi crystal, it's a true vintage hommage.

Anyways, if you're all about sapphire, there's about a trillion watches out there with sapphire, buy one. But in the mean time, how about letting those of us who prefer things that are a bit different and more interesting have a watch or two as well, huh?
Really, the plexi makes the 372. I wouldn't have sapphire over plexi on mine in a million years. I can't get enough of the warmth of plexi, and I just love the look of a big domed plexi crystal. If Rolex started making modern subs/dwellers with plexi crystals, I'd be all over them. If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Chapel Hill, NC

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 12:58 am #8

It's been... shoot... 6? 7? 8 years since the last Rolex I bought?

But if they came out with a vintage homage red sub or SD, complete with plexi crystal... oh man I'd be ALL over that!

Plus... hope you don't mind... you just gave me my new signature

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

craniotes
Paneristi
craniotes
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:01 am #9

...that if Rolex were ever to issue a contemporary piece with a plexiglas/acrylic crystal that the line would be around the block and down the street, right?

And like Micah, my 372 still looks pretty much brand new, in spite of its status as a daily-wear piece (same goes for my JLC Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm, which is almost a year old). That said, a few hairlines reinforce the vintage vibe, though as has already been pointed out, if that ain't your bag, Polywatch has your back.

Otherwise get a 422. Horses for courses, as they say...

Regards,
Adam

padronanniversario
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:01 am #10

Wow! Talk about trying to make a guy feel bad about a big purchase! I would never swap my 372 for a 422! If there is one thing I have appreciated in collecting Panerai watches and straps, it's the ability to own something unique. As some of the other risti have said, the 372's plexi is one of the major factors that makes it so unique. I knew when I bought the 372 that the plexi wouldn't be as strong as sapphire. I was just wondering how careful I really needed to be with it. No buyer's remorse here. Long live the 372

dukerules
Paneristi
dukerules
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:04 am #11

But if they came out with a vintage homage red sub or SD, complete with plexi crystal... oh man I'd be ALL over that!

Chapel Hill, NC

aproster
Paneristi
aproster
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:24 am #12

Really, the plexi makes the 372. I wouldn't have sapphire over plexi on mine in a million years. I can't get enough of the warmth of plexi, and I just love the look of a big domed plexi crystal. If Rolex started making modern subs/dwellers with plexi crystals, I'd be all over them. If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Chapel Hill, NC
"If plexi is wrong I don't want to be right"

The 372 case alone is a home run, but add the plexi, she's a grand slam...

Studio City, CA

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:28 am #13

Wow! Talk about trying to make a guy feel bad about a big purchase! I would never swap my 372 for a 422! If there is one thing I have appreciated in collecting Panerai watches and straps, it's the ability to own something unique. As some of the other risti have said, the 372's plexi is one of the major factors that makes it so unique. I knew when I bought the 372 that the plexi wouldn't be as strong as sapphire. I was just wondering how careful I really needed to be with it. No buyer's remorse here. Long live the 372
For instance, if you bash a sapphire crystal good and hard, or even not very hard but at the right angle on something sharp... it will shatter.

Bash a plexi crystal in a similar way and the worst that happens is it cracks. Yeah, it's broken, but at least you don't get shards of sapphire on your dial or possibly in your movement!

So to my way of thinking, you could say that plexi is stronger.

Also, if you hit the edge of a sapphire crystal wrong it will chip. Been there, done that.

Plexi crystals usually don't have sharp corners, so less fear of chipping IMO.

As for scratches, I've banged some plexi crystals pretty darn hard into door handles etc. with virtually no damage done, and what little was done can be buffed out. With a sapphire crystal, if you scratch it (yes it happens, it happened to me) fuggedaboudit, replace the crystal is your only option. Again, IMO... plexi > sapphire.

Sapphire is the "new technology" relatively speaking and in terms of perception and marketing yes, it beats plexi. And in real-world serious deep diving sapphire is probably better.

But for daily use plexi stands up to and in some cases beats sapphire IMO. I think a lot of "sapphire is better" arguments are more about believing that because something is newer and higher tech it's automatically superior.. a perception that isn't always true

epweber3
Paneristi
epweber3
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 1:37 am #14

hard and direct on the crystal. The mark looked like a crack. small dab of toothpaste and a few seconds later it was new. The plexi is tough. 372's is my favorite watch.

mikefarha
Paneristi
mikefarha
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 2:03 am #15

before I bought the 372, all the blah blah about plexi made step back. I understand all the concerns and I agree with people's right to not prefer it, but brother are you right Plexi is sexy and doesn't resemble the fears. You can damage sapphire and then you have replace the entire crystal or live with the chips and cracks. Finally, when people are so concerned the easy answer is to vote with their feet. But you've been right from the beginning this os the one, and if Plexi is wrong I don't want to be right.

Best.

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 5:58 am #16

I'm not lucky enough to own the 372 but there is no need to bash the watch! IMHO the watch is so hot and a lot of the attraction is the plexi, if you get a scratch and poly watch doesn't quite do it a minute on a jewelers buffing wheel will have it looking like new! Buy what you like but there is no need to bash on these good guys that spent hard earned coin on the best watch to come out of Panerai of late! You guys rock those 372's like the straight ballers you all are!!!

shella10
Paneristi
shella10
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 7:01 am #17

372 with plexi is sexyyyyy!!!

Shella

Skyworker
Paneristi
Skyworker
Paneristi

March 30th, 2012, 2:07 pm #18

A scratch on a Panerai is like a beauty mark. I would never intentionally cause one, but to me, they give the watch a certain gravitas.

March 30th, 2012, 3:33 pm #19

LOL

The 372 although an attractive watch still suffers from a bit of an identity crisis. Vintage hommage with the plexy crystal, I get it but then what is the deal with the display back? That isn't vintage, why did they do that? There is nothing particularly special or attractive about the movement either. Plexy does look cool on vintage pieces though. Mentioned elsewhere in this thread is the hypothetical modern Rolex with a plexy crystal... I hope they never do this. Rolex thus far has a rich tradition of steadily improving their product. They don't go backwards. Parachrom hairsprings, ceramic bezels, glidelock clasps, kaizen is the name of the game. To each his own though...

HAGWE!

Scott

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

April 2nd, 2012, 2:46 pm #20

hard and direct on the crystal. The mark looked like a crack. small dab of toothpaste and a few seconds later it was new. The plexi is tough. 372's is my favorite watch.
Light smack on a very smooth door handle and no mark at all.

I already have some plexi paste standing by should I need it, and I'm sure I will at some point. I'll wait for several marks though.

-Craig F