312 winding issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

312 winding issue.

glimmer89
Paneristi
glimmer89
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 4:19 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I don't mean to open a can of worms if this has been an oft repeated discussion in the past, however I just acquired a 312 after having had a 111 for a year and noticed quite some resistance when winding the watch this morning. The resistance feels intermittent, like there is some kind of grinding action happening though I can't be totally sure about this.

My 111 definitely felt different when winding, it was really smooth.

The watch does not have any problems in terms of timekeeping insofar as I have had it for the last six days.

Any thoughts on this? I've read quite a few threads on some forums about the same issue I am encountering but have not seen any definitive solution.

Any kind of advice/suggestion will be appreciated. I love this watch and think it is a keeper, God forbid that there is something drastically wrong with it.

Best regards
glimmer

dirk78
Paneristi
dirk78
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 6:08 pm #2

I had a 112 and bought a 312 next to it. I noticed the same thing when winding both. The hand winding movement is much smoother. At work tried winding my colleages 321 and this watch had the same thing.

Apparantly it's normal, but I know your feeling. It just doesn't feel right when winding it!

Hope this helpen you a bit!

Dirk

glimmer89
Paneristi
glimmer89
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 6:19 pm #3

Hi Dirk, thanks for the reply, I appreciate your thoughts. I am thinking though it may be normal, there might be an explanation from a "movement" or technical point of view...I keep feeling that I might be damaging something while winding it.

Best,
Clarence

caniray
Paneristi
caniray
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 2:41 am #4

Hi everyone,

I don't mean to open a can of worms if this has been an oft repeated discussion in the past, however I just acquired a 312 after having had a 111 for a year and noticed quite some resistance when winding the watch this morning. The resistance feels intermittent, like there is some kind of grinding action happening though I can't be totally sure about this.

The watch does not have any problems in terms of timekeeping insofar as I have had it for the last six days.

Any thoughts on this? I've read quite a few threads on some forums about the same issue I am encountering but have not seen any definitive solution.

Any kind of advice/suggestion will be appreciated. I love this watch and think it is a keeper, God forbid that there is something drastically wrong with it.

Best regards
glimmer
My 312 sounds more squeaky than grinding, like if the stem/axle or the crown were rubbing on the inside of the rubber/silicone seal that keeps it water tight?

While my 114 just winds and has nice crisp clicks, but these are diffrent movements so can't really compare...

glimmer89
Paneristi
glimmer89
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 3:06 am #5

Thanks for the response...do you also feel some kind of resistance?

ZiggyR
Paneristi
ZiggyR
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 7:37 am #6

My 312 sounds more squeaky than grinding, like if the stem/axle or the crown were rubbing on the inside of the rubber/silicone seal that keeps it water tight?

While my 114 just winds and has nice crisp clicks, but these are diffrent movements so can't really compare...
it's a slightly squeaky, not particularly satisfying sound. It's my only PAM (so far ) so I can't compare it against other models. But I did try on a 369 about 2 weeks ago and don't remember hearing the same sound on winding it.

weasel642001
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm #7

Hi everyone,

Best regards
glimmer
I had a similar problem with my 312. It was very tight to hand wind, would loosen up every 2nd turn or so. I sent it for warranty service. They did a complete service an it came back with th exact same problem. I sent it back again after consulting with my local watchmaker. He said it was probably the winding wheel. The second time it came back, it wound very smooth and has been great ever since.

Hope this helps

Doug

glimmer89
Paneristi
glimmer89
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm #8

Thanks, I appreciate the responses so far, at least I know it might not be uncommon for this to happen. As long as the watch is running good insofar as timekeeping is concerned, I'm less inclined to bring it in, unless it would coincide with service.