194 vs 285, which one will you go for? Need some input from ristis please.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

194 vs 285, which one will you go for? Need some input from ristis please.

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 1:26 pm #1

I always think that submersible does not look good, until I tried on a 305 (of course I won't resist a 382 if I have a chance to buy at retail). It looks good and wears very comfortably despite its thickness and size.

Recently during a GTG, I saw a Submersible 194 or 285 (not too sure as I didn't notice the indicators are lines or dots..), and I was really attracted by the actual watch! I love the bezel design very much and it makes me keep thinking of it ever since I saw it.

I know the 194G and 285K are SEs, but if I still have a chance to buy one of them (new and unworn), which one do you think I should go for?

Appreciate if all ristis can give me some input or share your thoughts about these 2 wonderful models. Please post some nice pics as well!

Thanks!

jmridgway
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 1:32 pm #2

primarily due to the much cleaner looking dial. Not only does the 285 have dots versus sticks, the 194 has individual minute indicators which clutter up the dial imho. Hopefully someone will post some helpful comparison pics.

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 1:35 pm #3

I always think that submersible does not look good, until I tried on a 305 (of course I won't resist a 382 if I have a chance to buy at retail). It looks good and wears very comfortably despite its thickness and size.

Recently during a GTG, I saw a Submersible 194 or 285 (not too sure as I didn't notice the indicators are lines or dots..), and I was really attracted by the actual watch! I love the bezel design very much and it makes me keep thinking of it ever since I saw it.

I know the 194G and 285K are SEs, but if I still have a chance to buy one of them (new and unworn), which one do you think I should go for?

Appreciate if all ristis can give me some input or share your thoughts about these 2 wonderful models. Please post some nice pics as well!

Thanks!
This photo was taken at the HK Boutique when I picked up my 285:

You can tell which way I decided to go, but there is no right or wrong answer here, you win either way!!!!!

Montreal, Canada

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 1:41 pm #4

Thanks!
i like 194 more coz the dial is nice

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 1:49 pm #5

Thanks!
Finally there are many differences between these two models ....

In first, do you want a dial with " patina " or not ? because the 285 will never have some , then imho the 285 have a " little Rolex look " with its dots

In this family you'd considere also the Destrozilla

Here are some pics ...

totorol
Paneristi
totorol
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:13 pm #6

Thanks!
I remembered I post a thread just like yours at the beginning of the year.
I got more feedback on the 194.
At last I went for 194.

There will be nothing wrong either way, you will love them!

geekee
Paneristi
geekee
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:52 pm #7

Thanks!

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm #8

This photo was taken at the HK Boutique when I picked up my 285:

You can tell which way I decided to go, but there is no right or wrong answer here, you win either way!!!!!

Montreal, Canada
The pics you posted are fantastic!!

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:00 pm #9

i like 194 more coz the dial is nice
And it was love at first sight!

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:03 pm #10

Finally there are many differences between these two models ....

In first, do you want a dial with " patina " or not ? because the 285 will never have some , then imho the 285 have a " little Rolex look " with its dots

In this family you'd considere also the Destrozilla

Here are some pics ...

And it will also develope patina over a period of time? BTW, what is that destro model in the pic?

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:03 pm #11

Thanks!

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:04 pm #12

I remembered I post a thread just like yours at the beginning of the year.
I got more feedback on the 194.
At last I went for 194.

There will be nothing wrong either way, you will love them!

osp800
Paneristi
osp800
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm #13

Kevin, I have the same feeling, but again really need sometimes to make a choice.

lceniza
Paneristi
lceniza
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm #14

Thanks!
I prefer the sticks vs dots...and more patina vs. less.

Cheers,
Lou - SoCal

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:24 pm #15

And it will also develope patina over a period of time? BTW, what is that destro model in the pic?
nt

Montreal, Canada

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:29 pm #16

it is not

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm #17

Montreal, Canada

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:58 pm #18

That don't want to say the dial is made of tritium the pearl on the bezel is enough for this writing ....

Does your 285 have devoloped some " patina " since you own it ??

benson39
Paneristi
benson39
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 4:22 pm #19

I like or more without white gold ring surrounding the index...

Gd luck in yr decision!

[/IMG]

Cheers:)
Ben

Officine Panerai~ more than a watch... it's fun to wear a war tools on wrist!!

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 4:41 pm #20

That don't want to say the dial is made of tritium the pearl on the bezel is enough for this writing ....

Does your 285 have devoloped some " patina " since you own it ??
nt

Montreal, Canada