111, 104 and 299 which to pick?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

111, 104 and 299 which to pick?

fundamental2
New User

February 8th, 2012, 5:30 pm #1

Hello All,

I am new to the world of Panerai and have not found any other watch with such classic design and pedigree. Ever since I started to appreciate these watches I have caught myself noticing these watches from TV shows, movies and random locals. Well, back to the issue, as I am about to embark in this foray of panerai. I would like some input on which watch would be the best. Currently, my research ({*¿*}) reveals that from the interested watches that I have from the 111, 104 and 299 I am not sure what watch would be the best. I plan to routinely swap out bands? Should I purchase the 299 for the ease of swapping bands? Or the 111 for a more economical price? I believe a 104 will require adaptors to accommodate a metal band. I probably wont use the metal band very often probably use it for formal shindigs only (lol). Also, I am not sure with what bands does the 111 and 104 come with. Are the 111 and 104 easy to remove the bands? It's my understanding that if the has a screw for the band within time you might run into stripping the head. Please excuse me for my lack of accurate terms. Please enlighten my plebeian mind? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Notes:

111:
manuel
sandwiched dial with seconds dial

104:
auto
no sandwich dial with seconds dial

299:
auto
metal bracelet and easy removal for alternate bands.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 5:46 pm #2

sometimes that's what helps in the final decision making process

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

fundamental2
New User

February 8th, 2012, 5:58 pm #3

Yes, I was able to try the 299 and 104. Again, do I really need to spend on the metal?

Thank you

subtribe
Paneristi
subtribe
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:02 pm #4

Hello All,

I am new to the world of Panerai and have not found any other watch with such classic design and pedigree. Ever since I started to appreciate these watches I have caught myself noticing these watches from TV shows, movies and random locals. Well, back to the issue, as I am about to embark in this foray of panerai. I would like some input on which watch would be the best. Currently, my research ({*¿*}) reveals that from the interested watches that I have from the 111, 104 and 299 I am not sure what watch would be the best. I plan to routinely swap out bands? Should I purchase the 299 for the ease of swapping bands? Or the 111 for a more economical price? I believe a 104 will require adaptors to accommodate a metal band. I probably wont use the metal band very often probably use it for formal shindigs only (lol). Also, I am not sure with what bands does the 111 and 104 come with. Are the 111 and 104 easy to remove the bands? It's my understanding that if the has a screw for the band within time you might run into stripping the head. Please excuse me for my lack of accurate terms. Please enlighten my plebeian mind? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
As you stated, since you won't have a need for the metal bracelet, then the 299 is out. The 299 and 104 is the same watch (except 104 is with a strap and the 299 is with a bracelet).

So it's down to the 111 or 104. As mentioned by a poster, have you tried any of these on. Reason being is the 299 does have a brushed case, whereas the 111 and 104 have a polished case. The polished finish may be a deal breaker or vice versa.

For me, I like the versatility of the 299, because I like the bracelet. But if I had to choose between the 100 and 104, I'd choose the 111, because I like the sandwich dial, and I wouldn't mind manually winding as I wind my 328 auto frequently anyway.

This is relative and you should check out all 2 watches firsthand is my recommendation.

Good Luck.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:03 pm #5

Yes, I was able to try the 299 and 104. Again, do I really need to spend on the metal?

Thank you
the bracelet is nice during the summer, but it also gives you some versatility, imo. the first one is always the toughest decision to make. enjoy your search, and when you make a decision, post up some pics

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:24 pm #6

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
I think the 111 is a best first PAM. Classic design, sandwich dial, very versatile and simply looks beautiful. 104 cyclops date not so nice to me.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:25 pm #7

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
111. That sandwich dial is awesome and careful strap-changing can be done whenever you want. Put a piece of scotch tape over the screw head to protect the metal around it and careful unscrew. Don't go at it like a bull.

Warning: Panerai can be habit forming!

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

khiroshima
Paneristi
khiroshima
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:29 pm #8

As you stated, since you won't have a need for the metal bracelet, then the 299 is out. The 299 and 104 is the same watch (except 104 is with a strap and the 299 is with a bracelet).

So it's down to the 111 or 104. As mentioned by a poster, have you tried any of these on. Reason being is the 299 does have a brushed case, whereas the 111 and 104 have a polished case. The polished finish may be a deal breaker or vice versa.

For me, I like the versatility of the 299, because I like the bracelet. But if I had to choose between the 100 and 104, I'd choose the 111, because I like the sandwich dial, and I wouldn't mind manually winding as I wind my 328 auto frequently anyway.

This is relative and you should check out all 2 watches firsthand is my recommendation.

Good Luck.
This is a priorities discussion . . . What's most important to you?

To me, the questions are, what's more important?

. . . the look (clean dial) or the date?
. . . sandwich or non-sandwich?
. . . auto winding function (daily wear advantage) or just another watch in the collection?

My personal preference would be the 111, but my preference doesn't matter, your does . . . KH

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:40 pm #9

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
My .02 cents:
Had a Pam 104, cool watch, just too busy of a dial for me.

299, Although I'm not a small guy, 6'1" 225 lbs, the 299's case felt uncomfortable on my wrist.

Pam 111, I just think that the Pam 111 is an all around great watch, looks great with an ammo strap, black strap, croc strap, lizard strap, etc. Works with jeans and t-shirt or a suit.

Like I've read a hundred times before on this forum, buy whatever you like. I did a lot of research on here before I bought anything. The 111 works for me in so many ways: my wallet, my occupation, it's a great watch from a great brand.

Spend some time and read some of the posts on here from guy's that have been involved with this site for a long time.(Way longer than most of us).
Read some of the things that guy's like Hammer, Eddie Sanchez, Paddy, Nacho, Nad, Eng, Stephen Dumperth, the mods etc. These guy's know what they're talking about and although I don't know them other than what they post here, they seem like great people with a passion for this brand. But more than the watch, they seem like guy's that if you were in a jam, they would help you out, and what connects everybody here is the watches.

Good luck in your search and post a picture when you finally get your piece.

Kevin Schmieder

My Grails.

Avi: "Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?"
Bullet Tooth Tony: "You can call me Susan if it makes you happy." Snatch

Kevin Schmieder

Pam 111 N Series
Pam 005 N Series
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610
G Shock G2300 LOL!

Pam-tuned
Paneristi
Pam-tuned
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 6:53 pm #10

I think the 111 is a best first PAM. Classic design, sandwich dial, very versatile and simply looks beautiful. 104 cyclops date not so nice to me.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM
You can't go wrong with 111 IMHO

Pam-tuned
Paneristi
Pam-tuned
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 7:15 pm #11

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
I couldn't agree with other gentlemen who posted. I have a 111 and my friend has a 299 (never tried 104 before). Personally, I'd take 111 cause I love sandwich dial, non-date, polished case, see-through backcase, handwound, and the price. I was a metal bracelet only guy and I never liked any kind of straps on these high-end watches but PAM changed my preference cause it just looks so nice on straps!! Although 111 doesn't have the new quick release mechanism but it still pretty easy to swap the straps as often as you wish, you just have to be extra careful and take your time with it (perhaps some folks here prefers the "scars").

ucdvwchan
Paneristi
ucdvwchan
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm #12

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
Out of the 3 chooses you mentioned, I would rank them in the following order: 299, 111, 104.

The choice is easy for me because I knew what I want in my 1st nice watch, which has to be on a bracelet, date, seconds dial, and automatic. At the time I bought my first Pam, the 299 fits all of my criteria as well as my budget. I never regret getting the 299 even though the bracelet hasn't been worn extensively after the purchase due to the straps addiction. It actually works out for me because of the quick strap change mechanism available that allows me to go between various straps and bracelet in a breeze.

My point is you have to know what you want in your next watch. The features you want will very much dictate on the model you'll eventually purchase without regret.

Pam-tuned
Paneristi
Pam-tuned
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 7:25 pm #13

I couldn't agree with other gentlemen who posted. I have a 111 and my friend has a 299 (never tried 104 before). Personally, I'd take 111 cause I love sandwich dial, non-date, polished case, see-through backcase, handwound, and the price. I was a metal bracelet only guy and I never liked any kind of straps on these high-end watches but PAM changed my preference cause it just looks so nice on straps!! Although 111 doesn't have the new quick release mechanism but it still pretty easy to swap the straps as often as you wish, you just have to be extra careful and take your time with it (perhaps some folks here prefers the "scars").
I couldn't agree MORE with other gentlemen who posted

ucdvwchan
Paneristi
ucdvwchan
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 7:36 pm #14

First of, congrats boss on your 111 and welcome to this addiction!

It is definitely important to identify the features that suits you best, and in your case, the 111 is a classic that you can NOT pass on.

machtigetokus
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 8:48 pm #15

Cheers, Joris

***Lo, comandante del tempo***
PAM 111, 233, 339 & 382

Pam-tuned
Paneristi
Pam-tuned
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 9:43 pm #16

First of, congrats boss on your 111 and welcome to this addiction!

It is definitely important to identify the features that suits you best, and in your case, the 111 is a classic that you can NOT pass on.

Thanks boss! I didn't know you are on the forum since I just joined not too long ago. How do you know it was me?! cause I mentioned I have a friend who owns a 299? lol

Yeah finally pull the trigger and got myself into the Panerai addiction. How is it going? Long time no talk..

auto104
Paneristi
auto104
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 10:43 pm #17

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
Manual winds are a pain in the ass!

JohnDoe77
Paneristi
JohnDoe77
Paneristi

February 8th, 2012, 11:23 pm #18

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
I would go with the 111! I bought my first Pam 1 month ago and was looking for a sandwich dial (unique en original DNA feature) and a luminor. I ended up at the 320 because I like the 1950 case and in house movement, but the sadwich is really nice!

Let us know how you get on?!

JD

asj_allan
Paneristi
asj_allan
Paneristi

February 9th, 2012, 1:10 am #19

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto
I have both and like them both. But 104 really sings to me more, so my 111 usually is on my wife's wrist. I prefer the painted than the sandwich dial. The only setback will be the cyclops...

tc1881
Paneristi
tc1881
Paneristi

February 9th, 2012, 2:16 am #20

Hello All,

Notes:

111:
manuel

104:
auto

299:
auto