z splice/reflex ??????

danceswithtrout
danceswithtrout

November 13th, 2005, 12:31 am #1

Hi Everyone

I'm about to make my first bow with a z splice in the handle. I have a massaranduba core with hickory backing. I was wondering what would the performance differences be with these 3 scenarios.

I could glue up the 2 pieces with some reflex.
I could glue up the core flat and then when I add the hickory backing I could induce the reflex at that point.
Lastly I could do some of both.

Can you please tell me what kind of differences I could expect from each of the above.

With the massaranduba being so heavy and dense I think I should make a deep bow rather than a flat bow style,,, does that seem right?

If I were to glue it up with the reflex at the time of the z splice, I would have some air gaps on the backing side at the tips of the z. Can/should I just fill that with Urac when I glue the backing?

By the way this will have a stiff/nonworking handle/riser addes befor the tillering process!

Please explane your answers

Thanks

Ryan

Richard Saffold
Richard Saffold

November 13th, 2005, 1:12 am #2

Since its your first bow and you are asking. I think you should glue it up straight, floor tiller the belly, and then glue the hickory backing on..

Its easier , and you are more likely to end up with a better bow.

Is the generic term "bulletwood"?

Rich-been there
GoodlandArchery.com

IowaJosh
IowaJosh

November 13th, 2005, 1:13 am #3

glue the blank straight and reflex when you glue the backing on. It theoretically can add a little stiffness. Same mass just a hint more stiffness for it. I don't think it will end up "deep cored" unless you make it 5/8" wide. Heavy wood and boo (i assume hickory is relatively close) are very stiff. I just read somewhere 1 1/8" wide and straight taper to tips is a good profile for that combo for 50#ish.

danceswithtrout
danceswithtrout

November 13th, 2005, 1:38 am #4

I think buy am not sure its bulletwood.
It's my first spliced bow but I have made about 20 others. I was shooting for a 70# bow.

Thanks
Ryan

brian melton
brian melton

November 13th, 2005, 2:14 am #5

Richard,

This is one time I will disagree with you.... I would introduce reflex into each billet at the time of adding your hickory backing.....then splice. I my opinion this will be MUCH easier.

Brian
vinemaplebows.com

November 13th, 2005, 1:55 pm #6

a little reflex in the splice and a little more when gluing up the back that way all the tension is not in the glue line. If you are gonna make a round belly bow you do not want a lot of reflex any way