A forum dedicated to sharing thought, ideas, methods and tools related to cooking and food preparation. Including, but not limited to discussion about cooking
vessels, mud/adobe ovens, fire pits and other methods of cooking. Also of interest would be archaeological and/or anthropological reference material pertaining
to our ancestors means and methods of food production and preparation.

Your Thoughts on Forum Re-organization Requested

toxophileken
toxophileken

September 9th, 2013, 5:44 am #1

Right now, PaleoPlanet is organized very well, with lots of categories in an easy to read and understand format.  However, we are thinking about experimenting with a forum re-organization, mainly to make the site a bit more friendly to new visitors.  We have a bit less traffic and business than we have in recent years, and some of the less frequented forums could see a person post a thread and not get a reply for several days or even weeks.

We've archived two of the archery forums (Historical Replication and Scientific/Theory), and asked members to post threads under those headings in the main bow forum.  We are looking at doing something similar in the Smithing forums (combining the smaller forums so that there will be two forums, other than tutorials and reference, covering blades in one forum, and everything else (forges, anvils, tools, blacksmithing, casting, etc.) into the other.  We're also looking at combining Art and Photography.

For you folks who frequent this forum, we are thinking about combining the Primitive Cooking Forum with the Edible Plant forum.  

Understand that we will archive any forums that we combine, change, or eliminate, so that the organization of the old threads won't be lost.

We'd love your thoughts on this subject.  We can always change back when traffic picks up, or if it is too inconvenient.  

Here is a link to the thread Eric started in Edible Plants, if you want to see what folks there think, too.

LinkClickHere

Thanks!

Ken

toxophileken
toxophileken

September 28th, 2013, 8:08 am #2

We'll probably go through with this soon, as there have been no objections in Edible Plants, and no comments here at all.

Ken

freenarative
freenarative

November 4th, 2013, 2:19 am #3

Just a thought, There are some threads with 5, 10, 20 or even more pages. Would it not be worth "stickying" them together, or maybe even starting a "popular" sub thread where any post that ends up with, say, 5+ pages gets sent? E.g. Prehistoric skills > camp and shelter > POPULAR > what size tipi, wigwams, floor covers Etc. Etc. Et.c.

It would stop people posting something new when there is probably a LOOOOOONG thread already that has just slipped down the pages. And this populas thread has only slipped because other people have posted new posts when they could have added to a popular,,,,,,,you get the idea  

caveman2533
caveman2533

October 20th, 2014, 2:41 pm #4

This is still being considered and if there are no major objections will be done soon.
Steve Nissly

toxophileken
toxophileken

October 21st, 2014, 6:38 pm #5

Yep, this is going forward soon. We will be copying and saving the current forums as read only archives, and then combining the more current posts from the two forums into one.

Ken

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

October 21st, 2014, 11:15 pm #6

One annoying thing I've noticed is when I try to look up old threads .....about a subject I know was talked about ....it comes up as not found .

This site works pretty seamlessly except in the search factor in my opinion .Perhaps though its just me and not the site?? Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

toxophileken
toxophileken

October 22nd, 2014, 2:20 am #7

Quills, I've had much the same trouble. A couple things that help are making sure you are searching all appropriate forums (the thread may have been moved since you last saw it), and also the search feature doesn't have any imagination at all (unlike predictive text on your phone or computer, for example). Try a couple different spellings and titles… It's some times taken me quite some time to find a thread I recall the title of fairly well (but not perfectly).

If you can recall original poster, that helps, too. Again, you have to spell the member's name exactly, I think including upper and lower case. One helpful tip is to find a thread that person has posted in, click "more" under their avatar, and look up "my recent posts". Sometimes the thread you want will be there, often a few pages back.

Ken