sagitarius boemorum

1:52 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #41

Hm I sold abou 15 bows during the summer only to women.
There was this weekend on nice lassie in my bowmaking class.

There is a true that with all that men unfit to work with simpliest tools, she was listening and following instructions without any stupid pride and she was one of first to hev a bow made and not very bad one for her first...

Too bad such a pretty lass has a boyfriend...

Jaroslav
32 down on the Robert McKenzie

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

2:45 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #42

I didn't get to see Fayme's post. Hope I didn't offend you Fayme. If so, it was unintentional on my part! I was just being immature. I'm really not a sexist pig like these other guys (snicker, snicker - which means, relax fellas, I'm just joking).

I'm firmly in touch with my feminine side! I try to keep things balanced though....after working on basketry or making scented soaps or contemplating learning to spin fiber and knit and or crochet, I chip a stone point, or make a steel knife and say Arrrggaaaahhhh - just to keep the testosterone flowing.

Seriously though, I love ya like a sister, and hate the thought of you being mad at me. Be mad at the other guys instead! They're tougher can take it! I'd just shrivel up in my clogs and die....

Peace

Tom

Rod
Rod

7:38 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #43

Right Jaroslav,
An oversize ego and muscle between the ears is more of a male trait.
Rod.
It's meant to be simple, not easy.

sagitarius boemorum

8:54 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #44

Exactly mine observation too. She was really attentive, thing I cant say about half of mine male customers.
Pitty that I dont have more girls in classes, but there have been bunch of ladies buing my bows lately.

btw. I got 100th person in my bowmaking courses this weekend.

Jaroslav
32 down on the Robert McKenzie

Fundin
Fundin

9:49 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #45

Well, I have just been contacted by 8 girls that want to make bows.... so I guess that is an indication that it might be a cultural thing...

Klandaght
Klandaght

11:08 PM - Oct 24, 2005 #46

Tim,
I think one of the common roles for woman in all primitive or pre modern cultures could be defined as child rearing. The result of this responsiblity is as obvious as the breast feeding need. Physical demands are less a consideration than the Dominant-Submissive relationship that is present whether from religious or some type of evolved social custom. Today with a very different cultural and social standard, roles are intermixed (stay at home Dads,etc.).
Could be a long buried instinct that draws one to it and another could care less. Why else would a lifelong urban dweller be drawn to a primitive weapon.

By the way, if you want more women to make bows, it is pretty simple. Just tell them they can't!

Seriously, are men more interested in getting in touch with their past and maybe women are more interested in the present?

Ibex
Ibex

12:26 AM - Oct 25, 2005 #47

My wife thinks we men are all pigs. Especially since we don't like changing diapers!

Simo Hankaniemi
Simo Hankaniemi

9:30 AM - Oct 25, 2005 #48

I have seen the same thing Fundin mentioned, women follow instructions better. When teaching bow making usually about every third pupil has been a female. And nearly every time some woman is the first one to get her bow ready. And the nicest looking bows in almost every pupil group are made by females.

I especially remember one 15 years old girl who made a very nicely finished hunting weight ash flatbow. And she had hardly ever worked with a knife and such tools before. Her secret was careful following of orders and superb patience. Men usually think they already know a lot and they are more or less lazy. Some male pupils dont ask any questions at all and I have had a hard time trying to prevent them spoiling wood.

About the lack of black bowyers (outside of Africa), perhaps they have some difficulty in identifying with archery. Perhaps they would feel funny playing Robin Hood or Geronimo. And traditional African archery is somehow removed from the modern mainstream of traditional archery. It looks all right for a white to make American Indian bows, but I dont know anyone making African style archery tackle.

But I have once arranged a small competition in our club meeting, where everyone had to use the same original Eastern African bow and arrows. Perhaps this was the only African style archery competition ever arranged in Europe.

Archer of the north
Archer of the north

10:01 PM - Feb 25, 2006 #49

u said u dont know anyone under 14 that hasent made a bow on their own or un aided i have and im 12

img107.imageshack.us/my.p...0623hw.jpg