when do I know it's heat treated ??

NorthShorelongbow
NorthShorelongbow

9:08 PM - Nov 12, 2005 #1

I've being treating some bows, but I don't really know if I really heat treated them !!!

how do I know I have done enougth ????

mahalo

M

Win1885
Win1885

10:28 PM - Nov 12, 2005 #2

I'm not sure either but here's what I did.......I had an Ebay bow purchase that turned sour the minute I unwrapped it. It had 5 or 6 inches of set and the first time I strung it the handle popped off. I reglued the handle and set it in a corner not knowing what I was going to do about it. Then this heat treating thread came along. Today I clamped it with approximately 1" of reflex and took the heat gun to it. I toasted it until I got light charring on the belly from the fades to the tips and then left it clamped until it cooled. Guess what.....no more set. So I might be able to salvage this piece of hickory after all. Thanks to all the contributors to the heat treating thread.......
Tom I.

Marc St Louis
Marc St Louis

1:32 AM - Nov 13, 2005 #3

Besides the color change that you see on the belly you can also see a slight color change in the wood to nearly half way through the limb, you can see this on the edge of the limb. The surface wood gets tempered fairly quickly, it's the wood further into the limb that needs more time to temper. After a few bows you get the hang of it.Marc

NorthShorelongbow
NorthShorelongbow

2:28 AM - Nov 13, 2005 #4

Thanks Marc,

Is there a thread with step by step info, that I could check ????

M