What's your favorite tools?

Thimosabv
Thimosabv

January 11th, 2006, 4:51 am #1

I included a pic of the tools I use presently. Hope to be able to afford a band saw one of these days, but for now i'm totally content.

aussie yeoman
aussie yeoman

January 11th, 2006, 5:27 am #2

In no particular order,

Hatchet
Billhook
Spokeshaves
Rasp
File
Stanley surform
scraper
chisel
power planer

I hope to get a table saw and bandsaw as well.

Dave in oz
Articles to help the new bowyer, with Australian bowyers particularly in mind:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

franztek73
franztek73

January 11th, 2006, 5:31 am #3

My favorite tool is my draw knife I use it for almost everything. First I turn the stave on its edge and use the draw knife to shape the bows front view profile then I use it to reduce the thickness of the stave and rough tiller and finally I hold the draw knife perpendicular to the stave and use it as a scraper to finish tiller it. I also use a saw, chisel, a couple different rasps and an X-Acto knife for various things.

Frank

bookworm
bookworm

January 11th, 2006, 6:19 am #4

I use the following:

tomahawk
farrier rasp
nicholson rasp
bow scraper
cabinet scrapers
draw knife
pocket knife
my brain

The last one seems to be always dull, but it's the only one I've got. I agree with you on the bandsaw; it would be rather nice to have one. Lately,though, I find myself wanting to go the other way and see if I could build a working bow with just stone tools, but it's hard enough to find the time to make anything with the steel ones!

Doug
"I was glad I could answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain, from Life on the Mississippi.

Thimosabv
Thimosabv

January 11th, 2006, 6:23 am #5

Amen on the time, and the desire to try stone Bookworm

Richard Saffold
Richard Saffold

January 11th, 2006, 6:49 am #6

Chainsaw..I'm lazy..not worried bout getting two pieces in a split. Just want the good one ,

bandsaw..next step almost to bending

bench sander..saves my elbows and wrists for the important stuff

scraper, and half round rasp..for what matters ...Tillering..if this goes wrong the rest is chalked up to experience..got lots of scrapers, and files...

I get to spend my two hour lunches in a state of the art wood shop...so I'm spoiled and not quitting my job
GoodlandArchery.com

Thimosabv
Thimosabv

January 11th, 2006, 7:49 pm #7

I need to add. My hands. Fingers. I try my best to practice saftey over manic-inspiration.

DrJag2
DrJag2

January 11th, 2006, 8:04 pm #8

Jackplane
Nicholson 4-in-1 rasp
Finer rasp than the preceding (don't know what # it is)
Nock file
Scraper
Stanley measuring tape
Pocket knife
Sandpaper
t-square

That's it .... until my father-in-law brings me his old bandsaw in March.

PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts

January 11th, 2006, 11:43 pm #9

Pruning saw -felling
Hatchet/wedges -splitting and rough reduction
Bayonet -stripping bark, underbark, and scraping; used like a draw knife
Drawknife/spokeshave -reduction
Fine file -sharpening drawknife and spokeshave
Circular saw -occasional use for rough reduction of hard woods
Rasp -around knots
Belt sander -rough to fine reduction. Can even tiller with it if not too many knots. Huge work saver.
Sanding blocks
Small round file -nocks
Dremel -handle shaping
Hot plate and stove pipe -steam bending full staves
Heat gun -dry heat bending

Time tourist
Time tourist

January 12th, 2006, 12:45 am #10

I bought a bandsaw, for all the rasping caused an annoying form of 'repetitive strain injury'. But in practise I still use the hand tools. Not wise, but more fun, I think. Especially when I'm frustrated for some reason, and large amounts of wood have to be removed. For removing wood fast I use the stanley surform, and later a file and a scraper.

When I worked with yew and osage, I found the draw knife the best tool, but with other woods I found the draw knife not accurate enough.

George Tsoukalas
George Tsoukalas

January 12th, 2006, 1:14 am #11

I have to go with the drawlknife. Jawgehttp://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni

IowaJosh
IowaJosh

January 12th, 2006, 5:33 am #12

Thimos, I think you would appreciate a better rasp. I think I have had most of those at one point or another. Like franz I use a draw knife a lot. I alternate with a big rasp to keep things flat when I want them flat. It helps keep out lumps and the washboarding effect.

I got some new measuring devices from the fancy wood working store here. They can be helpful at times.

Cabinet scrapers are new to me but they don't seem hard to get used to. I can see how they could make your bows look a lot better in a hurry.

I would like a nice nock file that isn't a stupid chain saw file. I have done rash things when cutting nocks before. Enlighten me.

NorthShorelongbow
NorthShorelongbow

January 12th, 2006, 7:48 am #13

My favorite tool is the cabinet scraper.

I love the almost meditating state, (working with the scraper) puts me in !!

Manny

Marc St Louis
Marc St Louis

January 13th, 2006, 12:02 am #14

My favorite changes everytime I work on a bow, it happens to be the one I'm using at the time. This particular tool that I made several years ago serves me well most of the time.

Marc

Greenchile1
Greenchile1

January 13th, 2006, 1:45 am #15

Marc made something similar but haven't had much luck with it. Can you give me a few details on how the blade is sharpened and adjusted.

Thx Greg

Thimosabv
Thimosabv

January 13th, 2006, 2:06 am #16

Marc. I would be interested in knowing the same. Is it a modification of a spoke stave?

Marc St Louis
Marc St Louis

January 13th, 2006, 11:47 am #17

This tool is a scraper. I used an old planer blade cut in half. Frankly I hardly ever sharpen it. It just keep on cutting . It's very good steel. The 2 screws are what adjust the blade. The handle is a piece of Elm. It works well on flat or reflexed wood but when the bow is braced it's not so good, I'd have to re-adjust the blade deeper for that. I have the blade set at about 1/16" down from the base. The only problem with it is that it gets plugged up with shavingsMarc

Thimosabv
Thimosabv

January 13th, 2006, 6:54 pm #18

The shavings I have a problem with on all scrapers, except when using a drawknife or pocket knife on edge of course. I've been wanting to make some different types as well. Yours gives me a pretty good idea. Thanks.

James Carmichael
James Carmichael

January 13th, 2006, 9:03 pm #19

Well, I dunno if I qualify due to inexperience, but I have used/tried:

Bandsaw
router
block plane
gunstock scraper, aka scrapershave, same thing Marc made (I despise spokeshaves)
drawknife
Nicholson 4-in-hand
Nicholson #50
Microplane rasp (surform)

Also a 2 3/8" stanley plane iron, reground to 45-degrees and a hook turned on with a carbide router bit (plane iron is harder than spring steel of a scraper).

The gunstock scraper and converted plane iron are my favorites for tillering (I like the later because it holds it's hook longer.) I'd like to find or make a Ram's horn scraper, those things will really scrape out wood fast, may do so using the plane iron.

I find rasps best for spot removal of high spots. Since they must be worked cross-grain, I think they're unsuitable for removing wood the full-length of a limb.

Hartung
Hartung

January 14th, 2006, 12:43 am #20

Hi friends,

First of all, this is a great thread!

Alors.... my most favourite tool is my draw knife.

One day I use it for thinning out staves ...another day I take it into the woods to cut fir bark for bark tanning hides. Then I use it for fleshing hides.....for membraning hides ... for de-hairing hides.

But I would also like to second Thimosabv. Hands and fingers are extremely important as well .. I just realised it this evening.

And then ... I really love my scraper (see Marcs commentary) ... could almost make a bow just with the scraper ... thats a very effective tool indeed.

I dont have a band saw but Im sure that it would be a most favourite tool as well.