swataramike
Registered User
swataramike
Registered User
Joined: December 23rd, 2016, 4:01 am

February 13th, 2018, 9:49 pm #81

............
20180213_164119.jpg
Quote
Like
Share

BrewerMo
Registered User
BrewerMo
Registered User
Joined: September 26th, 2015, 3:35 am

February 14th, 2018, 3:24 am #82

That's a nice handful..
Quote
Like
Share

catfishwilly
Registered User
catfishwilly
Registered User
Joined: October 14th, 2017, 3:11 am

February 20th, 2018, 5:05 am #83

Went abo the other day. Buffalo river. 1519102118222143504955.jpg Really enjoyed the moose billet percussion. I missed having my copper flaker for platform prep and isolation but substituted nicely with small hard hammerstone and rough soft hammerstone. Crooked dull whitetail tine finished the point off while simultaneously making my hand sore. 
Quote
Like
Share

BrewerMo
Registered User
BrewerMo
Registered User
Joined: September 26th, 2015, 3:35 am

February 20th, 2018, 9:48 pm #84

Killer...
Quote
Like
Share

blancoh0
Registered User
blancoh0
Registered User
Joined: September 11th, 2011, 7:10 pm

February 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm #85

My feelings too. Going back in time when making primitive tools makes me feel so far away from today's dependency on our throw-away society. It makes me sad and upset to se all that people throw away . I am retired and make it my duty to take some of the cast offs and re-cycle or re-purpose them. I have saved  many bicycles from the landfill. My wife is getting upset that I bring one or two home every week. All most need is air in the tires . I fill the tires and put them on a pallet by my driveway entrance. Someone always takes them,  hopefully for kids ! Flat screen TVs are showing up now too. I have learned to fix them and I now have 3 big ones in my home. You tube has some great fix-it posts. I digress !  Back to my hobbies and re-purposing ! Mother Earth is calling  to me!
Quote
Like
Share

nogie1717
Registered User
nogie1717
Registered User
Joined: April 6th, 2016, 2:43 pm

February 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm #86

A piece of English flint I received from daver. For the first time, I churched it up by putting canola spray on it. Amazing how much it hides the little fingernail hinges.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

April 9th, 2018, 9:51 pm #87

This is a quartz point I knapped using Boxwood percussion and antler pressure. The original spall was made with a quartzite hammerstone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

river rat
Registered User
river rat
Registered User
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 3:24 pm

April 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm #88

some real nice points from you all . dont have any pics. but mostly a bunch of beer bottom side notched glass points as of late. to relax, i sit on the front porch, legs hanging over, dug a hole there under where i sit, knapp a bunch of beer bottle points, kick dirt in the hole when im done. once in a great while i find a piece of flint to work on. but mostly bottle bottoms
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

July 30th, 2018, 8:55 pm #89

Something I bashed out today, looks like a combination between a fishtail and a different stemmed point, I suppose, I'm working on authentic replications. It was also my first time using a vertical punch (the tine in front of the point).

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

nogie1717
Registered User
nogie1717
Registered User
Joined: April 6th, 2016, 2:43 pm

July 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm #90

My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

freeze cracked
Registered User
freeze cracked
Registered User
Joined: October 30th, 2012, 2:24 am

July 30th, 2018, 11:24 pm #91

nogie1717 wrote: My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
um, i'd kinda like to see the toe bone composite flaker. i've never seen one of those before.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Quote
Like
Share

blancoh0
Registered User
blancoh0
Registered User
Joined: September 11th, 2011, 7:10 pm

July 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm #92

Glass ?
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

July 31st, 2018, 12:29 am #93

Glass Buttes Obsidian.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

nogie1717
Registered User
nogie1717
Registered User
Joined: April 6th, 2016, 2:43 pm

July 31st, 2018, 12:47 pm #94

freeze cracked wrote:
nogie1717 wrote: My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
um, i'd kinda like to see the toe bone composite flaker. i've never seen one of those before.
It’s my understanding that this bone is above the dew claws on deer, perhaps most cloven hoofed beasts.

Jason was generous enough to not only make this gorgeous handle, but to send me some back up bones.

I don’t know how well it would hold up to a tough, raw chert, but is does well with obsidian.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote
Like
Share

blancoh0
Registered User
blancoh0
Registered User
Joined: September 11th, 2011, 7:10 pm

July 31st, 2018, 1:18 pm #95

what is it for ?
Quote
Like
Share

freeze cracked
Registered User
freeze cracked
Registered User
Joined: October 30th, 2012, 2:24 am

July 31st, 2018, 1:28 pm #96

nogie1717 wrote:
freeze cracked wrote:
nogie1717 wrote: My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
um, i'd kinda like to see the toe bone composite flaker. i've never seen one of those before.
It’s my understanding that this bone is above the dew claws on deer, perhaps most cloven hoofed beasts.

Jason was generous enough to not only make this gorgeous handle, but to send me some back up bones.

I don’t know how well it would hold up to a tough, raw chert, but is does well with obsidian.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok, thanks bunches and that's a cool tool. the bones are "splint" bones, vestigial metapodial bones that some of the species of ruminants have. really nice looking flaker.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

August 5th, 2018, 2:42 am #97

More Mattaponi.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

August 6th, 2018, 1:50 am #98

Sorry about that. More Mattaponi part 2:

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
VirginiaKnapper
Registered User
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

August 13th, 2018, 1:38 am #99

Here's something I finished today. The piece came with it's own set of unique difficulties that required a special kind of strategy. The material felt like a combination of sandstone and some kind of quartzite.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.
Quote
Like
Share

Forager
Registered User
Forager
Registered User
Joined: October 22nd, 2010, 11:42 pm

August 13th, 2018, 1:58 am #100

Nice.  Thanks for appropriating a stone which most wouldn't consider.  I like the overall form and the edge appears to be quite functional.  

Much may be learned in the dynamics and variables of our craft through experimenting with such stones of peripheral quality, they help to delineate the borders between acceptable toolstone and those which are less so.  The stakes of performance success are also lessened in such cases, and under such circumstances we tend to learn more about the applied dynamics of force and fracture, however coarse the stone... spared the mindset of producing a great final result - and yours is admirably well done.  All of this is of cumulative value which delivers over time in experience.

I hope that you will maintain this side line of lithic inquiry while your more mainstream efforts clearly continue to grow.  Always a pleasure to see your work and witness your ongoing development.
Quote
Like
Share