20180213_164119.jpg

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

February 14th, 2018, 3:24 am #82

That's a nice handful..

catfishwilly
catfishwilly

February 20th, 2018, 5:05 am #83

Went abo the other day. Buffalo river. 1519102118222143504955.jpg Really enjoyed the moose billet percussion. I missed having my copper flaker for platform prep and isolation but substituted nicely with small hard hammerstone and rough soft hammerstone. Crooked dull whitetail tine finished the point off while simultaneously making my hand sore. 

BrewerMo
BrewerMo

February 20th, 2018, 9:48 pm #84

Killer...

blancoh0
blancoh0

February 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm #85

My feelings too. Going back in time when making primitive tools makes me feel so far away from today's dependency on our throw-away society. It makes me sad and upset to se all that people throw away . I am retired and make it my duty to take some of the cast offs and re-cycle or re-purpose them. I have saved  many bicycles from the landfill. My wife is getting upset that I bring one or two home every week. All most need is air in the tires . I fill the tires and put them on a pallet by my driveway entrance. Someone always takes them,  hopefully for kids ! Flat screen TVs are showing up now too. I have learned to fix them and I now have 3 big ones in my home. You tube has some great fix-it posts. I digress !  Back to my hobbies and re-purposing ! Mother Earth is calling  to me!

nogie1717
nogie1717

February 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm #86

A piece of English flint I received from daver. For the first time, I churched it up by putting canola spray on it. Amazing how much it hides the little fingernail hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

April 9th, 2018, 9:51 pm #87

This is a quartz point I knapped using Boxwood percussion and antler pressure. The original spall was made with a quartzite hammerstone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

river rat
river rat

April 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm #88

some real nice points from you all . dont have any pics. but mostly a bunch of beer bottom side notched glass points as of late. to relax, i sit on the front porch, legs hanging over, dug a hole there under where i sit, knapp a bunch of beer bottle points, kick dirt in the hole when im done. once in a great while i find a piece of flint to work on. but mostly bottle bottoms

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

July 30th, 2018, 8:55 pm #89

Something I bashed out today, looks like a combination between a fishtail and a different stemmed point, I suppose, I'm working on authentic replications. It was also my first time using a vertical punch (the tine in front of the point).

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm #90

My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 30th, 2018, 11:24 pm #91

nogie1717 wrote: My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.

um, i'd kinda like to see the toe bone composite flaker. i've never seen one of those before.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

blancoh0
blancoh0

July 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm #92

Glass ?

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

July 31st, 2018, 12:29 am #93

Glass Buttes Obsidian.

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 31st, 2018, 12:47 pm #94

freeze cracked wrote:
nogie1717 wrote: My uncle grabbed me some rock from Glass Buttes and have been working some of it lately. Note: it’s always good to have a flintknapper pick rocks. I love the guy, but he grabbed the most challenging pieces available. Fortunately, it’s been the fun kind of challenging. I notched these with a sweet little toe bone composite flaker that boletus sent me for my birthday.

um, i'd kinda like to see the toe bone composite flaker. i've never seen one of those before.
It’s my understanding that this bone is above the dew claws on deer, perhaps most cloven hoofed beasts.

Jason was generous enough to not only make this gorgeous handle, but to send me some back up bones.

I don’t know how well it would hold up to a tough, raw chert, but is does well with obsidian.

blancoh0
blancoh0

July 31st, 2018, 1:18 pm #95

what is it for ?

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 31st, 2018, 1:28 pm #96

nogie1717 wrote:
freeze cracked wrote:

It’s my understanding that this bone is above the dew claws on deer, perhaps most cloven hoofed beasts.

Jason was generous enough to not only make this gorgeous handle, but to send me some back up bones.

I don’t know how well it would hold up to a tough, raw chert, but is does well with obsidian.

ok, thanks bunches and that's a cool tool. the bones are "splint" bones, vestigial metapodial bones that some of the species of ruminants have. really nice looking flaker.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

August 5th, 2018, 2:42 am #97

More Mattaponi.

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

August 6th, 2018, 1:50 am #98

Sorry about that. More Mattaponi part 2:

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

August 13th, 2018, 1:38 am #99

Here's something I finished today. The piece came with it's own set of unique difficulties that required a special kind of strategy. The material felt like a combination of sandstone and some kind of quartzite.

Forager
Forager

August 13th, 2018, 1:58 am #100

Nice.  Thanks for appropriating a stone which most wouldn't consider.  I like the overall form and the edge appears to be quite functional.  

Much may be learned in the dynamics and variables of our craft through experimenting with such stones of peripheral quality, they help to delineate the borders between acceptable toolstone and those which are less so.  The stakes of performance success are also lessened in such cases, and under such circumstances we tend to learn more about the applied dynamics of force and fracture, however coarse the stone... spared the mindset of producing a great final result - and yours is admirably well done.  All of this is of cumulative value which delivers over time in experience.

I hope that you will maintain this side line of lithic inquiry while your more mainstream efforts clearly continue to grow.  Always a pleasure to see your work and witness your ongoing development.