Lately in South Dakota

nogie1717
nogie1717

4:49 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #1

I had a big write up that was witty and informative and I lost it.  So here's the short version.

I went to the Badlands and Black Hills.  Found some cool rocks, some I'm hoping to chip.  See video: 

Here's what I've been knapping with stone and bone in the past month or so:

#slabobsidian
IMG_4631.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG
Some Pierson Chert
IMG_4591pp.jpg
IMG_4590opp.jpg Some Knife River
IMG_4684pp.jpg

IMG_4682pp.jpg Some duck "hunting".  I put hunting in quotation marks because a guy can only be so serious with a 5 year old boy in tow.  But we did get some, which made him a better hunter than his 8 year old sister who watched me get skunked earlier in the weekend.  At least in his opinion.  And I don't look so odd in real life.  At least in my opinion.

IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

10:19 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #2

interesting post. the picture of you and the kiddo is kinda priceless. 
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

azmdted
azmdted

10:58 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #3

Nice work on everything, especially the kids.  I’ve been there with a write up full of wit and wisdom, only to lose it. It’s never the same writing it a second, or third, time. 

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

12:53 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #4

In particular when it takes you a difficult and lengthy time typing, especially on the phone.
"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

boletus
boletus

7:54 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #5

Thats a killer stash of rock.
-Jason

Forager
Forager

2:05 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

The video is cool; an interesting variety of toolstone, your sparse commentary provided interesting keynotes particular to specific stones.  I liked the casual tone, it was as though you were showing me the stuff in person, without a camera - thanks for the tour.

Your stone and bone work demonstrates the sort of impressive work a traditional toolkit can produce.  Although I'm glad to see it here, the Old Tools forum adherents would also certainly appreciate seeing your work (our knapping sub-forums are less than homogenous in mutual views), so you might consider posting there as well.  

And I'll stand with fc and azmdted - great to see the kid, I love the second shot with his jaunty snarl.  It contrasts beautifully with your own more seasoned expression.  Both shots of you together are excellent and I keep returning to look again... nothing odd here, I savor this rich portrait of frank reality and genuineness.  Thanks very much for this post nogie.  Its substance and character is such that I'm not even wondering how much better the evaporated first draft went - this is great and stands tall on its own.

nogie1717
nogie1717

3:29 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

Thanks, all.

Forager, I'll do my best to start posting over in the Old Tool section.  I appreciate your thoughtful response.  All the best.

Forager
Forager

3:35 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

nogie, just for clarity - not looking to pull you away from here, I just know that the guys in Old Tools would enjoy seeing your work there as well.

And, my wife loves both photos of your son and you.  The boy is loaded with charm.

nogie1717
nogie1717

3:49 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

Forager wrote: nogie, just for clarity - not looking to pull you away from here, I just know that the guys in Old Tools would enjoy seeing your work there as well.

And, my wife loves both photos of your son and you.  The boy is loaded with charm.
I get what you're saying.  It's just easier to go onto one and hope everyone sees, versus doing the same thing twice.  

Tell your wife thanks.  My son, Miles, is all personality.  Sometimes it's not pleasant, but I've got to admire his will.  I'm the kind of guy who will go along to get along.  He won't.  While it's frustrating as a parent, I've got to admire the independence of his spirit.  Guiding that will be the challenge!!