Quartzite cobbles "on spec"

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

July 22nd, 2018, 6:31 pm #1

I don't usually bring home quartzite cobbles untested, or "on spec" but grabbed a few while out for a walk:

The one in the center I call a "pancake cobble" and they are usually best.  An edge view:

The spalling went so-so.  The 3 along the top row are good, the rest a bit iffy:

The "cores" have been thinned down enough to probably also be worked into points:

I worked the spall top right and got this.  Yes, yes I did throw a tantrum like a 3 old that just found out he can't have popsicles for dinner!

Forager
Forager

July 22nd, 2018, 11:03 pm #2

Those cobbles strike me as wonderful.  The 'pancake' cobble looks like it was packaged specifically for knapping, is that a sample of your Keswick?  Beautiful fine-grained material, and very nice reduction.

And yes it can provoke a dour moment to suffer catastrophic fracture when so far along.  As a professed admirer of your uni-polar mode of entry into such rounded forms, I wonder how a bipolar approach would work toward a complete bisection.  With a cobble of that size, the hammer would need to be considerably heavier and it would likely entail a tandem effort with a partner. 

Very pleased to see you back in the game Keith.

Forager
Forager

July 23rd, 2018, 11:53 am #3

And, as I'm again soaking in Holmes I will admit to some envy of the fine bowlders of quality you can pick up during a walk.

Woodland Roamer
Woodland Roamer

July 24th, 2018, 12:20 pm #4

Nice work Keith. I'm still struggling to enter the quartzite game. I've tried to get into some river cobbles but without much luck.

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

July 24th, 2018, 10:14 pm #5

Forager wrote: And, as I'm again soaking in Holmes I will admit to some envy of the fine bowlders of quality you can pick up during a walk.
Yes there is some very good cobble material here.  There is also a whole lot more that isn't so great once you start digging into it.  Lots of messed up material inside.  If I'm lucky its like this and I know not to even try, but more often it is "micro" instead of "macro" and bites you in the butt late in the process. This chunk is the bottom half of the spall pictured above bottom right:

After blowing the good spall I decided to just work some of the lesser material.  They worked out in that I got them thinned down properly, but looking at them in side view shows what a mess the material is.

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

July 30th, 2018, 1:43 am #6

Still incredible!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Win some, lose some, and sometimes ran out" - Kenny Roberts

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

July 30th, 2018, 1:45 am #7

I would love to see a demonstration of how you split those cobbles in half. How does the definition of bipolar differ than that of unipolar?

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

July 30th, 2018, 5:22 pm #8

VirginiaKnapper wrote: I would love to see a demonstration of how you split those cobbles in half. How does the definition of bipolar differ than that of unipolar?

Gather up some flattish cobbles and we can get together to see how they come apart.

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

July 30th, 2018, 8:49 pm #9

Sounds awesome!

dixieshedhunter
dixieshedhunter

August 12th, 2018, 1:37 am #10

You old bug snatcher. I envy your pancake production.

PD