Milkweed

Primitive fire making techniques to include hand drills, bow drills, fire pistons, and how to create and use them.

Milkweed

Firstwhitefalcon
Firstwhitefalcon

July 11th, 2018, 6:23 pm #1

Time to pick the pods for fire starters and wind indicators.

DuxDawg
DuxDawg

July 12th, 2018, 12:21 am #2

Have you tried the ovum or fluff as an uncharred tinder with Flint (the rock) and (high carbon) Steel? Several of us here on PP have had success with them.

Have you mixed the fluff with other good tinders for use with ferro or flame? Tinders such as grass, pine needles, etc? I have found that a 1/3 other tinders to 2/3 fluff yields consistent success for me.

Cheers!

Firstwhitefalcon
Firstwhitefalcon

July 12th, 2018, 12:03 pm #3

Yes I have.

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

July 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm #4

Do you have to fine pound, shred or otherwise reduce the seed pod fluff to get it to catch a spark as a NUT (natural untreated tinder)?

DuxDawg
DuxDawg

July 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm #5

Howdy BH,

No need to pound or otherwise process MW (Common Milkweed aka Asclepias syriaca) fluff. Just roll the MW fluff between your palms like making a ball of clay. (Only do it longer and more firmly.) Looking to achieve a cotton ball (aka CB) like consistency. (Which is when it will hold itself together in a dense ball, very similar to a CB.)

Dense as possible is best with all of the fluffs.

Fluffs that are NUTs include, but are not limited to:
MW, Bull & Canada thistle, Dogbane, etc. (Think Milk thistle worked too, but not positive off hand.) Sycamore fluff comes already dense enough. Merely break its seed ball in half and use as is.  

We discussed this back in 2013 in this thread:
milk-weed-f-s-no-char-t58071.html

Especially note Steve1's opening post in his thread. I use the MW "CB" on top of the rock more often than under it as he shows.

Big thanks to Steve1!! I had intermittent success with MW fluff as a NUT until his idea of using it in as dense of a "cotton ball" as it will make. Consistent success ever since.

Cheers!

beardedhorse
beardedhorse

Yesterday, 1:40 am #6

Boy I wish I had save some of the 1000 dog bane seed pops.  They opened up in the locker and made a mess.   I read someone may have tried using milk weed fluff for the Rudigger roll fuel without success.  Has anyone tried it again.  Saw someone on line a fella getting a coal with two flat stones and a tinder processed on site rather than a factory made cotton ball using the Ruddiger method.  .