Been gone too Long

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 3rd, 2018, 5:24 pm #1

Some of you may remember me as Phoenix 1967... was out for several years... several surgeries and a couple of moves. Resettled now in Illinois, and starting to set up shop again... Need to get my junkpile built back up (wink)
anvil.jpg

wolfhawaii
wolfhawaii

July 8th, 2018, 5:42 am #2

Good to see you here again, Lawren! I was off for a fair while myself,; i moved to American Samoa 4 1/2 yrs ago...still trying to build in spite of some major obstacles.

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 8th, 2018, 7:25 pm #3

you take that amazing pole anvil with you?

wolfhawaii
wolfhawaii

July 9th, 2018, 9:30 pm #4

Ha! You still remember that?! Indeed, I have kept it with me on every move, though it seems to get heavier every time :) I plan on using it as the anvil for a power hammer currently in design phase in my head. I have another smaller one I am wanting to use for the tup. I went to the scrapyard over here, which I have full free access to (I just tip the loaders) and found some excavator frame channel and some i beam which may serve as the frame, as well as the platform from a metal scale that may serve as the base. Still thinking about air hammer vs. tire hammer or helve style.

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 11th, 2018, 10:53 pm #5

yeah I remember... I had post anvil envy  for a LONG time... that beast will make a great power hammer anvil

wolfhawaii
wolfhawaii

July 16th, 2018, 1:56 am #6

I measured it today; the calculator says in excess of 550 pounds 8)

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 18th, 2018, 10:55 pm #7

wow... That's big enough for a power hammer base anvil...

wolfhawaii
wolfhawaii

July 20th, 2018, 3:39 pm #8

Have you seen the other post about the new scrap anvil, Lawren? :)

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 23rd, 2018, 2:30 pm #9

wolfhawaii wrote: Have you seen the other post about the new scrap anvil, Lawren? :)
no, I haven't yet

Rainy Raven
Rainy Raven

July 23rd, 2018, 6:06 pm #10

Good to see you back, Lawren.  You came up in conversation this past weekend.  :)
The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 23rd, 2018, 9:28 pm #11

I saw you on the FIF episodes congrats brother... you have done quite well... I have enjoyed watching 7 or so of my friends, many of whom I've helped along the way on the show

Rainy Raven
Rainy Raven

July 26th, 2018, 5:06 am #12

It's fun getting to see people you know competing on the show.  I've gotten to meet more of them since competing myself.  We're kind of a fun little club.  :D
The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 26th, 2018, 2:35 pm #13

Rainy Raven wrote: It's fun getting to see people you know competing on the show.  I've gotten to meet more of them since competing myself.  We're kind of a fun little club.  :D
Trenton Tye, Sam Rutherford, and a few others have stayed in contact with me over the years... send me a FB link... that's how most have kept up with me

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

July 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm #14

You are in Texas right? I'm currently helping a maker down there named Earl Roach in the Houston area... if you get a chance, he's struggling a bit with forge welding... he knows the procedure... he just hasn't got the FEEL yet... Ex Army, he learns more by seeing

Mike H
Mike H

July 30th, 2018, 1:24 am #15

Lawren, where in Illinois are ya?
Atlatl hunting for whitetail: "So easy a child can do it!"

lawrenwimberly
lawrenwimberly

August 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm #16

Mike H wrote: Lawren, where in Illinois are ya?
Salem Illinois... south central... right off 57, about 20 miles north of where 64 cuts across the state

Archer46176
Archer46176

September 20th, 2018, 1:32 am #17

Lawren, good to see you back I have been gone from here for about the same amount of time or longer. We moved to Southern IN between Salem IN and Paoli IN a few miles North of a little place called Livonia. 41 years old now little girl is 6, son is 1 and another girl on the way. We have 23 acres now in the middle of Amish country and I have been setting up shop again as well but mostly been getting us set up to be totally self sufficient here and we are for the most part. Hoping I can stay caught up here now and post a bit once in awhile. 

wolfhawaii
wolfhawaii

September 20th, 2018, 4:57 pm #18

I hope some of you will post more and get some life breathed back into this site; it used to be more lively (hey, there's a pun) and it would be nice to see more posting.