2018 Summer Solstice PITH

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction
nogie1717
nogie1717

June 30th, 2018, 11:55 pm #21

cletis_crawdad wrote:How are you guys getting in contact with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Private message. If you click on your partners name, it will give you a “send message” option. Let me know if you have any issues.

cletis_crawdad
cletis_crawdad

July 1st, 2018, 12:34 am #22

Ok, thanks

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

July 1st, 2018, 2:51 am #23

And......we're off and running!!! Stacy, PM sent.

WA

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 1st, 2018, 4:26 am #24

PM sent.

WA
[/quote]

Got it and replied

Stacy

WillmcUtah
WillmcUtah

July 1st, 2018, 8:10 pm #25

PM was sent. I’m excited to see everyone’s trade. 

catfishwilly
catfishwilly

July 2nd, 2018, 12:17 am #26

WillmcUtah wrote: PM was sent. I’m excited to see everyone’s trade. 
Pm returned

cnyle
cnyle

July 3rd, 2018, 1:11 pm #27

@Nogie1717 your package went out this morning and I sent you the tracking number in a PM. Thanks.

Charles
Charles

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 9th, 2018, 1:24 am #28

The chaos is finally dying down at work. I was doing some stuff after I got home on Friday and my wife says, “Did you order more rocks?” After a thorough mental inventory, I remembered that cnyle had sent me his PITH pack. I tore in and here is what I found -

There was a very nice corner notch out of Novaculite and a birdie that I think is of a Texas rock. He also sent me a slab of what I believe to be Hornstone, some Kinley rock & another piece of Texas, and some cool material that I don’t know if I’ve seen it before. Thank you for sharing your work and your generosity. I’ve got yours boxed up and plan to send it out tomorrow. Thanks!!

cletis_crawdad
cletis_crawdad

July 9th, 2018, 4:05 pm #29

boletus your package was sent out today, I sent you the tracking number thru the PM.

Ed

cnyle
cnyle

July 9th, 2018, 10:20 pm #30

Thanks Lucas, I’m glad that I got to participate in my first PITH. I’m also happy that you got some different material to try out be sure to post pictures of the results!

Charles
Charles

cnyle
cnyle

July 13th, 2018, 12:31 am #31

I received my package from Lucas today and I will start by saying that I am beyond grateful for all that he sent me. I’m very happy to be the new owner of three fantastic points. From the thinnest to the razor sharp edges and great notching, they are excellent examples of craftsmanship that I hope I can someday achieve!

I’m not exactly sure how to explain the amount of amazement at how much material was included in his package. I just hope that I can do the material some justice and be able to turn out something recognizable. He also included some really nice preforms, it will be great to be able to try and work a piece down without having to overcome some of my many mistakes in my own work.

Lastly but definitely not leastly (if that’s even a word) is the two hammerstones and a large piece of leather. My thigh will appreciate the thicker leather compared to what I have now and I’m looking forward to having the hammerstones to add to my tools. For this being my first PITH I am more than grateful to Lucas for his kindness and great generosity!

Charles
Charles

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 13th, 2018, 12:03 pm #32

Congrats Charles on a great trade and I'm still excited to be part of a place where the members are so giving of not only their material things, but also their knowledge.
    Stacy

boletus
boletus

July 13th, 2018, 7:44 pm #33

Those hammerstones look familiar!! :D
-Jason

cnyle
cnyle

July 14th, 2018, 1:31 am #34

@Stacyharmon, I have never met a more giving community as I have found in flint knapping and as you said, both in material and the willingness to help and eagerness to see you learn.

@boletus, I am ready to sit down and try the hammerstones out. I’ve taken a couple of hits with them without doing much preparation and I like the results. It’ll probably be tomorrow evening before I can try them out completely.
Thanks!

Charles
Charles

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 14th, 2018, 1:35 am #35

boletus wrote:Those hammerstones look familiar!! :D
From CA to KY via SD!! I still have a deep stash, but get used to a hammerstone and stick with it. They are the absolute best and I know a tool kit isn’t complete without a couple!

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 14th, 2018, 1:40 am #36

@cnyle

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your package. And I can promise that after you’ve been knapping a while, your pile of usable flakes and spalls will reach a point where you’ll have them to spare. I’m confident you’ll get some nice points out of what I sent, but the biggest thing is just to keep chipping. They are only rocks and a guy has to hit and hit and pressure flake and abrade and then some, learning with each knapping session. I’m excited to see your growth as a knapper. All the best.