Resources?

A site inclusive forum for encouragement and defeat of procrastination. Set your own project and deadline, and go for it!

Resources?

Araverus
Araverus

May 15th, 2018, 5:13 am #1

This is a long term project of mine, to write a very in depth survivalist's guide to living, including all opics from primitive skills to psychological health and philosophy. Basically the idea is, if for some reason you suddenly were stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere and suffered from amnesia, you could live well by this book. It may become a series, especially for identification of plant species by location and technical information (like measurements and encyclopedic data), but I intend for all subjects to be covered in depth. It's just a good idea, I think. I'm calling it A Way To Live: In Primal Harmony".

So anyways, for my question: if anyone has resources, big or small, detailed or general, obscure or common, easy to understand or esoteric and clandestine, layman's style or technical, anything and everything works - may you share it here? I mean this could be stickied if it becomes useful.

If there are already resources on the site, my bad for not reading. But I think including out-of-site info would be heresy on the site's resources thread. Lol.

Thank you for reading, and cheers!
f73576be2d62fd3fc170ed9a4b92cb17.png
My expression as of the moment.
f73576be2d62fd3fc170ed9a4b92cb17.png
My expression as of the moment.
Dreams are distant yew trees, and hope is a short osprey among them.

Araverus
Araverus

May 15th, 2018, 11:14 pm #2

Unga bunga.

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

May 16th, 2018, 7:08 am #3

Islands are a mind set.  You are too late (not even June/18) to prepare for the winter of 2018-2019.
I doubt that you have the food, the shelter or the winter clothing.  How will you cope with 15 feet of snow?

An encyclopedic knowledge of living comes from 12,000 - 15,000 years of experiences.
You can camp here in any wild place for 2 weeks then you must move on.  Over the hill, whatever, back and forth!

I can teach you how to kill ducks bare-handed.  Kill 100.  Are you ready to smoke-cure those and use all the feathers?

Araverus
Araverus

May 17th, 2018, 1:59 am #4

Oh, of course. I'm willing. I desire to compile this knowledge for perpetuation, the self, and the masses - which makes sense, as most people don't like to do much work on it. I'm very willing...

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

May 19th, 2018, 7:17 pm #5

Ellsworth Jaeger was a museum director with a focussed interest in all things First Nations in eastern North America.
You can buy a modern reprint of his book "Wildwood Wisdom" which was published originally in 1945.
Lavishly illustrated with line drawings, there are 474 pages of crafts to learn and practice.  Good a start as any.

Judging by their performances on modern TV shows, some bush whackers are pulling their script materials straight from his book.
They just demonstrate what has been done for millenia by people whose survivorship cannot be questioned..

Tomas
Tomas

May 20th, 2018, 10:12 am #6

Hello

Here is a place to start by Thomas Seton....

https://archive.org/stream/bookofwoodcr ... 8/mode/1up

Tomas