Prickly pear wine

railgun
railgun

April 10th, 2018, 10:44 am #1

Last two years i made prickly pear wine/ The question is am I doing everything all right with it...? I'not sure about that.
first year i have used blender to prepare fruits for fermenting, then I've added water around 100%, and juice was still thick and very dense.
sugar content was about 23% of all the juice ( i 've assumed that fruits contain about 15% of sugar)
first open stage of fermenting was about 5 days, and i kept the product under the water lock about 25 days.
I got 60l around 15 gallons of very dense thick wine/ the color was dark red-dark (it was a bit bushy and viscous more viscous than i expect) violet.Taste was good:) Then İ add 30ml of alcohol to every 1000ml(is that ok,and is that a good solution?)
for preservation and to stop future fermenting(more for preservation)
Now i got only 5 l of this wine left ,it is more than 1 year old, and the color turned from dark red to amber cognac color. it is still a bit thick but not very viscous. I mean it is not sticky))) 
This year i did almost the same, but I've kept fruits frozen for about two weeks. Then I used this press (black&white picture because my mess in the kitchen looks more better on black & white picture))) then again 100% of water was added, sugar content brought to 23-25%. and i've added smashed fruits and raisins for better fermenting. 25 days of secondary fermenting and again 30ml of alcohol was added for any 1000ml of fresh wine.
density is great and  taste is great too. unfortunately i don't have any tools to measure density alcohol content acidity and other stuff. But it is primitive wine making isn't it?))) Thanks for reading all this(text on my poor English):)))
your opinion never mind positive or negative is Welcome!:)
DSCF24651.jpg
DSCF24651.jpg

DuxDawg
DuxDawg

April 10th, 2018, 2:38 pm #2

Awesome! 

Brian T
Brian T

April 10th, 2018, 4:56 pm #3

Frozen fruit should have a better juice yield than fresh because all the cells are split and damaged.
You really should buy a hydrometer to begin with a specific gravity of 1.095
Yeast nutrient, tannin and acid blend will help make a better finished product.

In a past life I used 20 x 36lb cases of California Zinfandel grapes to make 100 gal (450 liters) of good red.

You wine is changing color because some of the colored molecules (carotenoids, xanthophylls and anthocyanins) are not stable 
in light or air.  Not a health issue at all.

Has the protein haze settled out?  Clear fruit wines usually have a wonderful visual "polish" to them in the glass.

BillOregon
BillOregon

April 11th, 2018, 1:27 pm #4

Well, I'm sure impressed. I'll be seeing all those prickly pear fruits here in southern New Mexico with a fresh eye ...

Brian T
Brian T

April 11th, 2018, 3:03 pm #5

Save yourself the trouble and don't mash the fruit pulp.  Cut into maybe quarters is lots.
Lots of grapes went through my crusher and looked perfect.  A single little tiny hole
was lots to let the yeast inside.  They were no more than balloons of yeast phart-gas 
when they went into the press.

I approve of anything made with prickly pears.  Including fresh eating.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

April 13th, 2018, 6:18 pm #6

Hmmmm I gathered some fruits a few years back...remind me of watermelon rind taste. I did not care for the taste. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

railgun
railgun

April 16th, 2018, 10:10 am #7

BillOregon wrote: Well, I'm sure impressed. I'll be seeing all those prickly pear fruits here in southern New Mexico with a fresh eye ...
yes, Bill, they really worth attention! thx for your comment!

railgun
railgun

April 16th, 2018, 10:12 am #8

Robson Valley wrote: Save yourself the trouble and don't mash the fruit pulp.  Cut into maybe quarters is lots.
Lots of grapes went through my crusher and looked perfect.  A single little tiny hole
was lots to let the yeast inside.  They were no more than balloons of yeast phart-gas 
when they went into the press.

I approve of anything made with prickly pears.  Including fresh eating.
Thx a lot Robson Valley! cut into quarters good idea!

railgun
railgun

April 16th, 2018, 10:20 am #9

Quillsnkiko wrote: Hmmmm I gathered some fruits a few years back...remind me of watermelon rind taste. I did not care for the taste. Quills
thx Quills! Our ones somehow remind me of mulberry and they have the same color as mulberry. Yess then i deal with them i always got thorns in my arms, face etc))  Yesterday i processed last 30 kilos of them and got several thorns even into my tong:)))))))) the process is disturbing in some way. but the taste was great

railgun
railgun

April 16th, 2018, 10:26 am #10

Robson Valley wrote: Frozen fruit should have a better juice yield than fresh because all the cells are split and damaged.
You really should buy a hydrometer to begin with a specific gravity of 1.095
Yeast nutrient, tannin and acid blend will help make a better finished product.

In a past life I used 20 x 36lb cases of California Zinfandel grapes to make 100 gal (450 liters) of good red.

You wine is changing color because some of the colored molecules (carotenoids, xanthophylls and anthocyanins) are not stable 
in light or air.  Not a health issue at all.

Has the protein haze settled out?  Clear fruit wines usually have a wonderful visual "polish" to them in the glass.
Yes, Robson Valley i 've started last wine in October and now it looks very clear i guess everything is settled out. Agree with you i got to order all equipment and
yeasts,  campden tablets etc.

Brian T
Brian T

April 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm #11

One other thing that I found very useful was a "log book".  
Nothing fancy, but one single place to write notes about every batch of wine that I ever made.
Even the formulas for estimating tannin, yeast nutrient, etc  for fruit wines.

I'd like to pick and eat Prickly Pear.  On my bucket list.  A fruit that me and my kids bought to eat by the dozens.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

April 17th, 2018, 2:45 am #12

railgun wrote:
Quillsnkiko wrote: Hmmmm I gathered some fruits a few years back...remind me of watermelon rind taste. I did not care for the taste. Quills
thx Quills! Our ones somehow remind me of mulberry and they have the same color as mulberry. Yess then i deal with them i always got thorns in my arms, face etc))  Yesterday i processed last 30 kilos of them and got several thorns even into my tong:)))))))) the process is disturbing in some way. but the taste was great
Its very possible the fruit on the ones around you are different than the ones around here in sandy places. I saw no resemblance to the taste of Mulberry in the ones around here...and they were much more reddish...Mulberry's here are blackish when ripe..red when unripe.

Have you ever eaten the  green pads?

Right now I don't know how I dealt with the darn thorns...they were very fine...I think I used a torch to singe them off. I did get several in my fingers...Not a gentle fruit to work with.

I guess a lot of people eat the pads down in the southwestern US,  down towards Mexico. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Brian T
Brian T

April 17th, 2018, 3:22 am #13

Flip/flop the pads in an open fire and the prickles are gone in no time.  Same with the fruits.
You can't cook them as fast so burning off the prickles is easy but tedious.
The pads taste like the fruit but so mild, I don't care.  Rather have fruit.

Yes, I live at 53N in the snowy, cold Rockies.  A little taste of Arizona never hurt me and my kids..

railgun
railgun

April 17th, 2018, 5:44 am #14

Robson Valley wrote: Flip/flop the pads in an open fire and the prickles are gone in no time.  Same with the fruits.
You can't cook them as fast so burning off the prickles is easy but tedious.
The pads taste like the fruit but so mild, I don't care.  Rather have fruit.

Yes, I live at 53N in the snowy, cold Rockies.  A little taste of Arizona never hurt me and my kids..

"Taste of Arizona" that was a good one!
yes last time i've burnt the prickles off, but this time i was really busy, I just picked the fruits and put them in the fridge That was in December i guess. What is very interesting, the fruits appeared in October and i still have some on growing paddles, and they are well preserved, and in good condition right now. I found this amazing, pomegranates, olives usually spoiled in two months or less if i leave them on trees. Prickly pears are Champions!) I tried paddles they are good! but now they seem very old, couldn't find new fresh paddles last time. I think I have to read about wine making more.

railgun
railgun

April 18th, 2018, 5:15 am #15

Quillsnkiko wrote:
railgun wrote:
Its very possible the fruit on the ones around you are different than the ones around here in sandy places. I saw no resemblance to the taste of Mulberry in the ones around here...and they were much more reddish...Mulberry's here are blackish when ripe..red when unripe.

Have you ever eaten the  green pads?

Right now I don't know how I dealt with the darn thorns...they were very fine...I think I used a torch to singe them off. I did get several in my fingers...Not a gentle fruit to work with.

I guess a lot of people eat the pads down in the southwestern US,  down towards Mexico. Quills

Quills, I eat green pads sometimes, cook them on grill or boil&fry them with tomatos onion and pepper. but this sunday i couldn't find fresh ones I'll try next time may be.