High Quality Dacite, Obsidian, Pedernales chert, Novaculite and more for sale (over 7000lbs)

Paleoknapperjim
Paleoknapperjim

5:30 PM - Apr 01, 2018 #1

I have 70 mild crates full of high quality stone for flint knapping. This was the result of 35 years of flintknapping and traveling all over the US collecting rock for my addictive hobby! I made many trips to Fredericksburg Texas, Glass Buttes Oregon, Davis Creek California, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Wyoming,  and other states and each time brought back a ton of rock. Most of the milk crates are sorted by rock type (Dacite, Pedernales, Novaculite, Obsidian, Jasper,  etc) and a few are mixed. I have some elbow and back issues now am not knapping much these days so all of this rock needs to go. All 70 crates are stored in my garage and each milk crate weighs 100 lbs each.  I am selling each Milk crate for $90 each. That includes the crate, full crates only, your choice of which crates/rock type you want, same price regardless. No shipping, pick up only. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you are planning a trip to Las vegas or passing through the state I welcome you to come to my house and pick the crates you wish to purchase and haul home. If you are interested send me an email at Paleomanjim@yahoo.com and let me know when you plan on being out here. I will reply with my phone number and address for further planning if needed. I live 10 miles west of the strip and only 1/4 mile from the 215 freeway.  Thanks much, Jim Winn

Here is a link to a video of one of my Texas flint collecting trips
S7380005.JPG
S7380004.JPG
S7380003.JPG
S7380002.JPG
S7380001.JPG
S7380005.JPG S7380004.JPG S7380003.JPG S7380002.JPG S7380001.JPG

swataramike
swataramike

1:06 AM - Apr 02, 2018 #2

wow..wish i lived closer....man i was wondering if you were still knapping...you are great ...i think you should keep the rock and start posting more videos on your youtube channel..hope you heal well and get back to it..

catfishwilly
catfishwilly

8:36 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #3

Hey Jim, thanks for all your time and effort putting your videos out there. They sure have been a real big help to me getting started in this addictive hobby. Wish I was closer. I would take a lot of that off your hands. Thanks again.

Paleoknapperjim
Paleoknapperjim

9:34 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #4

Thanks guys, appreciate that. I really had a lot of fun over the years doing the videos and passing things on. A couple guys are coming over to pick up rock the next couple weeks but there will be plenty left for anyone else who makes it out here.  Happy chipping! 

swataramike
swataramike

12:38 AM - Apr 08, 2018 #5

one of the best knappers ever....

PaleoSoul
PaleoSoul

3:03 PM - Apr 12, 2018 #6

I am beat!! I just got back from my rock run... Sisters, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada. 26 hrs round trip in two days. My personal record and well worth the trip. About 350lbs of quality Texas flint/chert and Novaculite, also some mix of Keokuk and Jasper. Jim had so much great material I didn't even look at all the crates. If you have the urge to get rock and you dont live far, I definitely recommend making the trip. I am planning another as long as the rock is still available.

Thanks again for EVERYTHING Jim. Especially the coffee

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

hixton
hixton

4:02 PM - Apr 12, 2018 #7

Paleoknapperjim wrote:I have 70 mild crates full of high quality stone for flint knapping. This was the result of 35 years of flintknapping and traveling all over the US collecting rock for my addictive hobby! I made many trips to Fredericksburg Texas, Glass Buttes Oregon, Davis Creek California, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Wyoming,  and other states and each time brought back a ton of rock. Most of the milk crates are sorted by rock type (Dacite, Pedernales, Novaculite, Obsidian, Jasper,  etc) and a few are mixed. I have some elbow and back issues now am not knapping much these days so all of this rock needs to go. All 70 crates are stored in my garage and each milk crate weighs 100 lbs each.  I am selling each Milk crate for $90 each. That includes the crate, full crates only, your choice of which crates/rock type you want, same price regardless. No shipping, pick up only. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you are planning a trip to Las vegas or passing through the state I welcome you to come to my house and pick the crates you wish to purchase and haul home. If you are interested send me an email at Paleomanjim@yahoo.com and let me know when you plan on being out here. I will reply with my phone number and address for further planning if needed. I live 10 miles west of the strip and only 1/4 mile from the 215 freeway.  Thanks much, Jim Winn

Here is a link to a video of one of my Texas flint collecting trips
Hi. Wow, what a lot of nice rock. I'm up in Wisconsin, so again it would be a long drive to your place. Please keep posting here while you still have rock. I might not be able to get there right away, but it may fit later on. If you change your mind and decide to mail some out I'm interested!

Thanks Hixton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

boletus
boletus

2:22 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #8

A chance to meet a legendary flintknapper and pick through the horde of material? I may have to make my way out there sometime.. Im sad to hear youre hanging up your hat. You are the #1 reason I am where Im at today in this hobby. Your work will be missed.
-Jason

Paleoknapperjim
Paleoknapperjim

3:33 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #9

Thanks for the kind words. Flintknapping has been a great hobby for me over the years and I really enjoyed doing the videos and passing things along. 
   Three knappers have made it out here so far but I still have 48 milk crates remaining so plenty to choose from. Hope you can make it out here, thanks, Jim

toxophileken
toxophileken

5:38 AM - Jun 13, 2018 #10

Wish we could have stopped by when we were out in late March!  

If there's any rock left, we'll stop by next spring when we're out for the Valley of Fire...

I agree, thanks for the videos, and great meeting and knapping with you!

Ken

toxophileken
toxophileken

11:37 PM - Jun 20, 2018 #11

We are planning a trip out there, Jim.  I sent you an email.  

I don't think I can access my PM system on PaleoPlanet while traveling, so I'll be looking for your email reply or text.

Thanks!

Ken

toxophileken
toxophileken

2:43 AM - Jun 27, 2018 #12

My family got to stop by and pick up some rock on the way home from a trip to the Grand Canyon.  The rock is great, but the best part was getting to visit with Jim and his wife again.  

I highly recommend you make the trip if you at all can.  

I am usually the kind of guy who would take out every rock in every crate to help me decide which crates to get...  That wouldn't be kind to Jim or my family, so I took the tack of going much faster this time, pleasantly surprising my wife!  Hard to find a bad crate of rock there...  The selection is actually boggling...  I just picked ones along the lines of rock I wanted to try, and I'm very grateful and excited.

I got a couple photos of Jim with a big basalt blade and a very nice macuahuitl that he made with the excellent blades from when he was experimenting with that technology (blade/core).  If I get permission, I'll post the photos here later.

Thanks again, Jim, for the rock, the hospitality, and your generosity!  I hope we get to see you again next time through, rock or no rock.

Ken

Paleoknapperjim
Paleoknapperjim

10:28 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #13

Thanks for the kind words Ken. Great to see you and your family again. Feel free to post any photos, no problem. Dave came buy last week, you might know him, lives in south Orange county also, picked up 3 milk crates. I still have 39 milk crates remaining with a lot of rock I forgot to mention, including knife river flint, green river chert, keokuk chert, burlington chert, imperial jasper, lavic jasper, battle mountain chert, hundreds of pounds of Pedernales, georgetown and other flints from the Texas Hill country.  Thanks, Jim

knapperzack
knapperzack

6:24 AM - Jul 17, 2018 #14

Pm sent

Paleoknapperjim
Paleoknapperjim

8:22 PM - Jul 18, 2018 #15

Update: Down to 34 crates remaining as of today, so still have nearly half of them and plenty of good rock to choose from. Took some pics of some of the remaining crates this morning before re-stacking them.  Many others are still stacked along the opposite wall so we can uncover those for the next knapper who shows up. I'll continue to post pics of the remaining crates until they are too sold. Thanks. 
S7740011.JPG
S7740010.JPG
S7740009.JPG
S7740008.JPG
S7740007.JPG

toxophileken
toxophileken

7:09 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #16

Here's some photos I took of Jim when we were out there picking up rock. In the photos, he is holding a large stone point and a macuahuitl he made.  I hope to be able to pick up some more rock in the spring when we are out there for the Valley of Fire atlatl event.

It was great getting to visit with Jim again, and to see just some of the many cool points, blades, and other things he's made.

Ken
IMG_8944.jpg
IMG_8916.jpg