Knappable Lithics in the Piedmont Region of Virginia

This is resource forum for flintknappers. It will list lithic resources, by State/Country/Provence, in a "field-guide" fashion. Please try to follow the format when adding rock sources and information. This is a work in progress....

Knappable Lithics in the Piedmont Region of Virginia

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

March 13th, 2018, 6:07 pm #1

Hello, My name is Frank Knott IV and I am new to this forum, I also know a couple of the people here. While I am still learning (in reality we never stop), I really enjoy working with the materials found in this state, such as variations of quartz and quartzite. I know that there are many people on here who may have a very good understanding of what's here and where to find it, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to find different types of knappable rocks in the Piedmont region (I reside in Amelia).
"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Win some, lose some, and sometimes ran out" - Kenny Roberts

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

March 15th, 2018, 7:00 pm #2

I'm in Chesterfield but have a little hunting property over by Jetersville.  I extensively knap the cobble quartzite common around Richmond, along with some cobble quartz.  Some of the seams/outcrops of  white quartz in Amelia/Buckingham/Cumberland are good, although you mostly get small stuff from it.  Virginia quartzite is its own animal and took me many years to learn.  It is best either closer to me, or going the other way up into the mountains where the Antietam quartzite outcrops.  See also the link below.  All of the central Virginia stuff is hard to learn on!

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/arch_DHR/Lithics/lsumm.html

Keith

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

March 15th, 2018, 9:40 pm #3

Wow, thanks! Yes indeed, the stuff here is among the toughest! I found it to be a great medium for learning hard hammer percussion, I don't know about others. My grandparents in Buckingham live on a known quartz outcrop, with the rock appearing on the side of a steep hill and littered on the opposite side of the road, upon which I have found extensive debitage; the only thing I found on their side was a pure white quartz core. I live in Amelia, and I find much cobble quartz in many forms but not in its white form. I plan to make a trip up to the Antietam outcrops this Summer. Do you know of any locations in Amelia, Buckingham, Cumberland, and Richmond/Chesterfield where there is cobble quartzite? In addition, do you know of any white quartz locations in Amelia?
"It's about what you learn, not what you make"

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

March 16th, 2018, 9:58 pm #4

I don't know of any sources in Amelia, but there must be some.  That source in Buckingham sounds good.  All along the James you can find cobble and gravel deposits from the fall line all the way up into the mountains.  For quartzite, from where you are I would head west.  Entire mountain tops are made from the stuff.  The guy to talk to about that is Pete Davis, a knapper in Rockbridge County.  He's knows all about it.  You can find him here under his name and I think he is on facebook.  If that doesn't work private message me through this site and I will put you in touch with him.

Keith

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

March 17th, 2018, 3:38 pm #5

Thanks so much Keith. I actually know him personally, he was the first to sit down with me and guide me about knapping. I first met him at the 2016 Indian Relic show, which is where he was able to help me, and last time at the House Mountain Knap in. I would really like it if you could reach out to him to get me in touch with him.

Frank