blancoh0
blancoh0

February 14th, 2018, 3:51 am #21

I have searched Amazon & Ebay, Tandy too. No one seems to have any Buffalo Thimbles like yours. Plenty of Nickel Conchose too. Any leads to where they are sold would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lazy Stitch
Lazy Stitch

February 15th, 2018, 4:45 am #22

Oops- forgot to reply about the thimbles.  Those were super cool and were a lucky find on ebay, and I've never been able to find any more of them.  No maker's mark, and I have looked far and wide for them.  If I could find 100 of them, I would buy every last one of them! 

blancoh0
blancoh0

February 15th, 2018, 6:25 pm #23

Really ? They may have come from china in someone's suitcase long ago !

ateyo
ateyo

February 16th, 2018, 12:13 am #24

Thanks for the crib sheeting idea and canvas frames. The thread I was thinking of was FireWire. Which is like fine fishing line, but too stiff. I have been using nymo since then because it threads so easily through the tiny eyeholes of the English shorts. Those needles make all the difference. I tried to use embroidery needles but most have eyeholes too big. But I need to dig up my sewing thread because I eran out of black Nymo.
I have had surprisingly good results from Tandy leather deerhide remnants and even their imitation deerhide, which is like German Tanned. I work with small pieces and have not stretched them to work, but I think that I must. I will have to rig up a small frame.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Lazy Stitch
Lazy Stitch

February 17th, 2018, 9:38 pm #25

If I have a choice between crib sheeting and canvas vs. commercially-tanned leather, I'll use the sheeting or canvas every time. It's just so much easier to get the needle through, and quality control is far better.

Have you tried the Glover's Sharp's needles?  You can get them in size 12, and they are the best needles going for any sort of beadwork or sewing on any type of leather.  It's the only type of needle that I use now. Several trading posts sell them, and I get mine here:   http://dancingbearindiantrader.com/needles.html

Everybody goes through the thread learning curve.  I learned to do beadwork with cotton and cotton/poly but then got seduced by Nymo and used it for many (many....) years before finally seeing the light and going back to natural fiber threads.  I still prefer Nymo for peyote stitch, especially for small beads, but that's about all.  It takes wax poorly and requires constant re-waxing, to boot.

ateyo
ateyo

February 18th, 2018, 3:53 pm #26

Lazy Stitch wrote:If I have a choice between crib sheeting and canvas vs. commercially-tanned leather, I'll use the sheeting or canvas every time. It's just so much easier to get the needle through, and quality control is far better.

Have you tried the Glover's Sharp's needles?  You can get them in size 12, and they are the best needles going for any sort of beadwork or sewing on any type of leather.  It's the only type of needle that I use now. Several trading posts sell them, and I get mine here:   http://dancingbearindiantrader.com/needles.html

Everybody goes through the thread learning curve.  I learned to do beadwork with cotton and cotton/poly but then got seduced by Nymo and used it for many (many....) years before finally seeing the light and going back to natural fiber threads.  I still prefer Nymo for peyote stitch, especially for small beads, but that's about all.  It takes wax poorly and requires constant re-waxing, to boot.
Thank you, Lazy Stitch! I will have to give glover's needles a try. Ella Legg would make tiny awls out of glover's needles to punch holes in the goat leather she used to make. I had no idea that they were made in tiny sizes appropriate for beading. Being that Ella's glovers were mounted in a wooden dowel, we used them as awls and never pulled a thread through them. When you do two-needle work do you poke all the way through the leather/sheeting or do you keep the thread embedded within the leather/sheeting? I guess that poking through the sheeting would not be an issue, being that the beadwork is then mounted to the leather work.

ateyo
ateyo

February 18th, 2018, 4:01 pm #27

Lazy Stitch wrote:If I have a choice between crib sheeting and canvas vs. commercially-tanned leather, I'll use the sheeting or canvas every time. It's just so much easier to get the needle through, and quality control is far better.

And yes, I have found that wax does not adhere well to Nymo. The threads which I have encountered for sewing are labeled as polyester. At one point I found a three strand linen which I loved working with.(separating the three strands was often tedious) There is a large Joann's fabric shop in El Paso. Perhaps I can find cotton or linen threads there. I will even check Hobby Lobby. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Lazy Stitch
Lazy Stitch

February 18th, 2018, 11:13 pm #28

The size 12 glover's Sharps started showing up several years ago, and it's the only needle I use now for lazy stitch or 2-needle applique.  They are amazing.  Expensive, but worth every dime.  Don't listen to the noise out there about how these needles (or any glover's needle) supposedly weaken the buckskin because glover's needles cut the material instead of just poking a hole.  That's just hooey. 

Joann's will have loads of threads to pick from.  My advice:  Look for Coats and Clark "Dual Duty" hand quilting cotton/poly thread.  It's a very good all purpose beadwork thread.  Also, look for Gutermann, which is a German thread made of cotton that works well for beadwork.

On your 2-needle applique technique question: Yes, the tacking stitches on vintage applique and Crow stitch typically go all the way through the leather.

Good luck!

ateyo
ateyo

February 19th, 2018, 2:20 pm #29

Lazy Stitch wrote:The size 12 glover's Sharps started showing up several years ago, and it's the only needle I use now for lazy stitch or 2-needle applique.  They are amazing.  Expensive, but worth every dime.  Don't listen to the noise out there about how these needles (or any glover's needle) supposedly weaken the buckskin because glover's needles cut the material instead of just poking a hole.  That's just hooey. 

Joann's will have loads of threads to pick from.  My advice:  Look for Coats and Clark "Dual Duty" hand quilting cotton/poly thread.  It's a very good all purpose beadwork thread.  Also, look for Gutermann, which is a German thread made of cotton that works well for beadwork.

On your 2-needle applique technique question: Yes, the tacking stitches on vintage applique and Crow stitch typically go all the way through the leather.

Good luck!
I have got to wait for an influx of do- re-me before I travel into town for supplies. Thank you for your works of encouragement and your advise. I am anxious to try these methods.

ateyo
ateyo

February 20th, 2018, 10:31 pm #30

ateyo wrote:
Lazy Stitch wrote:The size 12 glover's Sharps started showing up several years ago, and it's the only needle I use now for lazy stitch or 2-needle applique.  They are amazing.  Expensive, but worth every dime.  Don't listen to the noise out there about how these needles (or any glover's needle) supposedly weaken the buckskin because glover's needles cut the material instead of just poking a hole.  That's just hooey. 

Good luck!
I have got to wait for an influx of do- re-me before I travel into town for supplies. Thank you for your works of encouragement and your advise. I am anxious to try these methods.

I rummaged around in my old sewing kit and found a spool of Coates Dual Duty quilting thread. YAY! I didn't even know I had it!

ateyo
ateyo

March 9th, 2018, 3:10 am #31

Progress report on the thunderbolt buffalo. Could not find thread fine enough to fit through my needles' eyes. So now I am unraveling thread into three strands of fibers. ET VOILA! Little bit of beeswax and it works well. Seems to be sturdy enough. I think the fur line behind the hump is distracting, the way it cuts across the middle. I will eliminate it when I make another. I ran out of the wonderful frosted beads which I bought from Matoska Trade Store in Orange California. But they are centered and seem to give off a glow which is appropriate in depicting the Sacred White Buffalo.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

March 11th, 2018, 7:51 pm #32

Hmmm Ive never tried a no 12 Glover for Beading. I do use a no 12 short sharps or no 11.....and I still use Nymo pretty exclusively for Beading and for Quillwork as well. Ive got some linen thread I intend to try for Quillwork but not used it yet.

Your right about Nymo not taking beeswax very well...Ive helped that along by taking my beeswax ..melting it and adding a chunk of Toilet Bowl seal wax....makes the beeswax just a bit softer...and it adheres to the thread better. Nymo is notorious for tangling when doing 2 needle work so the wax has to be applied often.

I pretty much use 11 or 12 old style color beads..not sure a 12 Glover will fit the hole.

PS Ateyo...my opinion of the leather you have in that piece....is not the best leather to bead on...its to rough and shreddy like.

Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

ateyo
ateyo

March 11th, 2018, 9:26 pm #33

Quillsnkiko wrote:Hmmm Ive never tried a no 12 Glover for Beading. I do use a no 12 short sharps or no 11.....and I still use Nymo pretty exclusively for Beading and for Quillwork as well. Ive got some linen thread I intend to try for Quillwork but not used it yet.

Your right about Nymo not taking beeswax very well...Ive helped that along by taking my beeswax ..melting it and adding a chunk of Toilet Bowl seal wax....makes the beeswax just a bit softer...and it adheres to the thread better. Nymo is notorious for tangling when doing 2 needle work so the wax has to be applied often.

I pretty much use 11 or 12 old style color beads..not sure a 12 Glover will fit the hole.

PS Ateyo...my opinion of the leather you have in that piece....is not the best leather to bead on...its to rough and shreddy like.

Quills
Thanks Quills. I might try melting and adding the toilet bowl wax. I h ave been using the shorter sharps needles. Hobby Lobby only sells the long needles which are more appropriate for loom work. Aggravating!
The leather is a bit more shreddy than I prefer, but it is both soft and sturdy. I just make certain to push the needle past the shreddy stuff. ;)

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

March 11th, 2018, 9:46 pm #34

ateyo wrote:
Quillsnkiko wrote:Hmmm Ive never tried a no 12 Glover for Beading. I do use a no 12 short sharps or no 11.....and I still use Nymo pretty exclusively for Beading and for Quillwork as well. Ive got some linen thread I intend to try for Quillwork but not used it yet.

Quills
Thanks Quills.  I might try melting and adding the toilet bowl wax.  I h ave been using the shorter sharps needles.  Hobby Lobby only sells the long needles which are more appropriate for loom work.  Aggravating!
The leather is a bit more shreddy than I prefer, but it is both soft and sturdy.  I just make certain to push the needle past the shreddy stuff.   ;)

I did not add too much...maybe a little half the amount of Beeswax.

I had to put a new ring in a toilet years ago and discovered that....when I went and got a new ring...as I was installing it the light bulb when off in my mind ( I hated the harder beeswax)...so I went and got another new ring.

I hate those long needles...I don't do loom work...so really have no use for them.

A Crazy Crow or Noc Bay Trading post catalog has them ....they both have Web sites online. Both ate good places to deal with. Good places for beads to. Wandering Bull- is another source.  Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

ateyo
ateyo

March 12th, 2018, 4:30 am #35

Thanks never heard of Wandering Bull. I don't know why I didn't think of trading posts online last year when I was searching for needles and beads. Last week we traveled clear across the valley and found an artists' enclave that sells some stones and beads. But not a wide selection. Online trading posts are the best option. (and the catalogues are eye candy!) I love this Paleo site. It is a great place to pick brains and see others' creativity!