Hello ...... from the forest in Carpathian.

Identification, cultivation, harvesting, preparing, preserving, recipies, general ethnobotany... Disclaimer: Don't experiment with unknown plants, or rely on the information in this forum. Get your own information and use CAUTION!
Also,
A forum dedicated to sharing thought, ideas, methods and tools related to cooking and food preparation. Including, but not limited to discussion about cooking
vessels, mud/adobe ovens, fire pits and other methods of cooking. Also of interest would be archaeological and/or anthropological reference material pertaining
to our ancestors means and methods of food production and preparation.

Hello ...... from the forest in Carpathian.

Ibor
Ibor

11 Jan 2018, 21:53 #1

I am very happy that I found this Forum, because Neolith is my love, work, interest and way of life.
I live in Poland, in the Carpathians and for 17 years I have been dealing with experimental and reconstructive archeology.
For many years, I have been making tools, weapons, ornaments etc. with tools and techniques that could be used in a given era.
I go to various archaeological events and present a workshop from the Bronze Age or the Early Iron Age, and for a few years also a stonework workshop from Neolith.
The culture of battle axes is very close to me due to the ... BEAUTIFUL STONE AXES.
I do a lot of things from wild boar bones and deer antlers from later eras.
Regards to Users!
P.S
I apologize in advance for possible spelling mistakes ... I use an electronic translator.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

11 Jan 2018, 22:08 #2

Welcome to the Planet Ibor.

I am sure you will find a lot of interesting things in our site. Be sure to check out the Flintknapping Threads & Archaeology section. Feel free to post pictures of your craft work and knowledge.I am sure folks here would find them interesting. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

12 Jan 2018, 03:47 #3

Hello Ibor and welcome.
Is there any chances of pics of the beautiful stone axes?

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

12 Jan 2018, 04:19 #4

Hello and welcome from Texas, USA. I second that we would like to see your work. Seeing the work of others is one of the biggest incentives to use this site. Make suggestions or ask questions as you wish. We like that too.

WA

Ibor
Ibor

12 Jan 2018, 11:52 #5

Quest for fire,two black granite axes made by me four years ago to order.
Bigger ax, 150 mm long, 400 grams.
Smaller ax 155 mm long, 220 grams.
Hole 17 mm.
Unfortunately ....... I made them with the help of modern tools .....
d.jpg
c.jpg
b.jpg
a.jpg

Bill Skinner
Bill Skinner

14 Jan 2018, 17:18 #6

How is that unfortunate?  You just abraded faster than if you had done it by hand.  

Making and testing the ancient tools is a very interesting way to try to figure out some of the limits and capabilities of the older tools.  Plus, it doesn't hurt as bad when you break it because you don't have the same amount of time invested as the ancients did.

Instead of walking around in circles, kicking rocks and cursing for an hour like the ancients did, we only do it for 15-20 minutes...

DuxDawg
DuxDawg

14 Jan 2018, 21:13 #7

Very nice Ibor. Welcome and thank you for sharing. 

Right on Bill. Well said. 

Quest for fire
Quest for fire

14 Jan 2018, 21:55 #8

Ibor the first picture I saw made me think they were modern forged metal tools.
Lovely tools,well done,well done.

I make primitive arrows by both hand and with power tools.
Of course the ones I made by hand meant more but
using modern tools helped me to learn how.