Lady with a fan (3d sketch for woodcarving)

Carving, Sculpture, Lapidary & much more.

Lady with a fan (3d sketch for woodcarving)

railgun
railgun

19 Dec 2017, 12:33 #1

I've recently made a 3d sketch for my new woodcarving/ sketch is ready. that's how it looks. Now i'm trying to find good wood for this project. I don't know about color scheme yet.
natural wood color (one or two) оr acrylic paint. all comments are welcome(positive or negative):)))
DSCF2485_3.jpg DSCF2485_1.jpg

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

19 Dec 2017, 22:52 #2

I like it.  I've been wood carving for quite a while.  I see very little detail so you ought to be able to work in clear,
straight-grained conifer wood.  I like your model.  I can see that you've already had the chance to think out some of the 3D challenges.

You asked for 2 colors. 
a)  I say use pine or yellow cedar for the pale wood.
It cuts easily and carves easily.  Splits easily so don't push detail you don't need.
b) I say use western red cedar or eastern red cedar for the dark wood.  Ditto details.
= = =
Take a 6" ruler with you when you go looking for wood.
Obviously clear/knot free and straight grained will be easier to work than burl.
Maybe you find pieces with knots that you can work into your design = make 2 of them.

What you must do is measure the ring count per inch.  Big deal in conifer carving wood.
You're looking for 15-30 rings per inch.  Less is crushing punky.  More than 40 is kind of boney but carvable.
I have seen some fabulous western red cedar fence boards but 10 rings/inch.  Keep walking.
I've been known to carve a fence post or two.
= = =
Assembly:  those drywall screws just gotta go!!!
Dowel pegs are all fairly fat.  I use pieces of round bamboo BBQ skewers of different diameters.
Right up to cheap chop sticks.

Looking forward to the result.

Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

22 Dec 2017, 16:12 #3

I like it, too. Looks very modern and at the same time some of the shapes remind me of paleolithic venus figurines (not sure if that was intentional?).
Personally, I would go with natural wood colors rather than use acrylic paints, or stain the wood with natural pigments.

Quillsnkiko
Quillsnkiko

23 Dec 2017, 05:04 #4

LOL!~! I'll let the guys imaginations rule here. Quills😇
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

railgun
railgun

12 Jan 2018, 13:44 #5

Robson Valley wrote: I like it.  I've been wood carving for quite a while.  I see very little detail so you ought to be able to work in clear,
straight-grained conifer wood.  I like your model.  I can see that you've already had the chance to think out some of the 3D challenges.

You asked for 2 colors. 
a)  I say use pine or yellow cedar for the pale wood.
It cuts easily and carves easily.  Splits easily so don't push detail you don't need.
b) I say use western red cedar or eastern red cedar for the dark wood.  Ditto details.
= = =
Take a 6" ruler with you when you go looking for wood.
Obviously clear/knot free and straight grained will be easier to work than burl.
Maybe you find pieces with knots that you can work into your design = make 2 of them.

What you must do is measure the ring count per inch.  Big deal in conifer carving wood.
You're looking for 15-30 rings per inch.  Less is crushing punky.  More than 40 is kind of boney but carvable.
I have seen some fabulous western red cedar fence boards but 10 rings/inch.  Keep walking.
I've been known to carve a fence post or two.
= = =
Assembly:  those drywall screws just gotta go!!!
Dowel pegs are all fairly fat.  I use pieces of round bamboo BBQ skewers of different diameters.
Right up to cheap chop sticks.

Looking forward to the result.
thx a lot Robson Valley
yes I'll definitely remove screws! Great idea about bamboo BBQ skewers!
I'll show how it will look!

railgun
railgun

12 Jan 2018, 13:46 #6

Quillsnkiko wrote: LOL!~! I'll let the guys imaginations rule here. Quills😇
:))) I'll try to be good!

railgun
railgun

13 Feb 2018, 09:27 #7

Michael Bootz wrote: I like it, too. Looks very modern and at the same time some of the shapes remind me of paleolithic venus figurines (not sure if that was intentional?).
Personally, I would go with natural wood colors rather than use acrylic paints, or stain the wood with natural pigments.
Really Michael, it reminds paleolithic Venuses , no i didn't have any intention for it. May be it was just my subconscious:)
yes i didn't paint it so far. thx again for your comment!

ateyo
ateyo

13 Feb 2018, 21:11 #8

railgun wrote:I've recently made a 3d sketch for my new woodcarving/ sketch is ready. that's how it looks. Now i'm trying to find good wood for this project. I don't know about color scheme yet.
natural wood color (one or two) оr acrylic paint. all comments are welcome(positive or negative):)))
DSCF2485_3.jpgDSCF2485_1.jpg
Wooden dowels please! And yes, use natural wood colors or stains. I think she is marvelous!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

railgun
railgun

19 Feb 2018, 12:02 #9

ateyo wrote:Thx a lot, Ateyo!
railgun wrote:I've recently made a 3d sketch for my new woodcarving/ sketch is ready. that's how it looks. Now i'm trying to find good wood for this project. I don't know about color scheme yet.
DSCF2485_3.jpgDSCF2485_1.jpg
Wooden dowels please!  And yes, use natural wood colors or stains.  I think she is marvelous!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk