Eastern Black Bear

Hide tanning, leather crafts, skinning, and all related topics

Eastern Black Bear

Buckskin Ken

07 Dec 2017, 03:48 #1

Heya.... it has been a busy summer. How has everybody been? 

A couple of buddies went bear hunting down east and both came back with a bear. Foolishly, they think I know how to process bear parts, just because I process deer and other furs. LOL  Any insights on any aspects of the processes would be appreciated. I have the claws off. My thoughts are to coat bone end with borax and dry them hanging in a mesh bag. That is how I dry deer hooves. The hides are in the freezer..... awaiting ideas on fleshing/ defatting..... I plan an alum taw/ brain softening/ smoking.  I will experiment with the hides from the paws before tackling the full hides.

HELP.......... I'm over my head here........ my buddies know that but still trust me to git-er-done.  

It was a great powwow season. I don't like cold weather.....

Quillsnkiko

08 Dec 2017, 03:22 #2

Borax on the bone ends..and just lay out individually on newspaper or cardboard...somewhere dry and safe from critters.

I've only fleshed one bear..fatty as a possum or coon.Hair roots seemed to go thru into the fat...I tanned it with some commercial stuff I had at the time. I should have used a de-greaser on the hide before I put the tanning stuff on it.It was not a prime hide...reminded me of a black German Shepard head. That is all I know ..which isn't much.But I use borax on feathers, claws and such. Works way better then salt.Keep bugs at bay to. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Quillsnkiko

08 Dec 2017, 03:23 #3

By the way..long time no see....welcome back!~! Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Buckskin Ken

08 Dec 2017, 05:42 #4

Quillsnkiko wrote: By the way..long time no see....welcome back!~! Quills
Yep..... when I logged in, I noticed my last post was in May.  LOL  Life has been hectic but not much paleo since then. I've tanned 5 coyotes this summer but mainly worked on deer rawhide. I guess I have traded about 300 sq ft to several hand drum makers and another 100 sq ft of grain off buckskin rejects that I had in one of my freezers, (small, holey, etc). One of my vender friends is using that stuff for grapevine circle wall hangings. It's like sheepshin or parchment..... makes a great canvas and she is an excellent and creative artist.

But mainly, why I haven't been around.... I've become addicted to Ancestry. My wife gave me a subscription and I've got almost 6000 names in my family tree.

Tomas

08 Dec 2017, 17:44 #5

Greetings Ken

Here is a thread from 2009 about tanning a bear hide.... the usual brain tanning procedures apply but as Quills (Hi Quills) pointed out effort to remove the grease is needed.

The extra effort to tan the bear might just be the bear spirit’s last laugh at the hunter ....;-).

a-beginner-with-a-bear-hide-t29421.html

All The Best

Tomas

Buckskin Ken

08 Dec 2017, 19:12 #6

Tomas, thanks for the link. Like someone suggested in the link, I will be working the paw hides (6 pieces about 1 sq ft each) before tackling the main hides. Also will be cleaning/ harvesting foot bones and skulls before hides.

We are getting an early snow right now. It started early this morning. If ground temp wasn't so high, we would already have several inches with no let-up until noon sat.

Nomad1

09 Dec 2017, 07:11 #7

OK this is great info I am getting a couple of bear skins from someone next spring I will add degreasing to the list of todo for the bear hides now.
I want to make a jacket out of them mainly for a test run and if that works I want to see about getting some buffalo hides for a jacket.
http://nomadsurvival.tk/forum/

Tomas

10 Dec 2017, 02:52 #8

Hello Folks

Here is an online vintage book about home tanning that has a chapter on ‘Indian Dressing ‘ the link will take you to the chapter on ‘heavy fur’ which includes bear skin advice.

https://archive.org/stream/homemanufact ... 0/mode/1up

All The Best

Tomas