Let's see your tool kit -Copper, Abo, Otherwise-

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction

Let's see your tool kit -Copper, Abo, Otherwise-

King

06 Dec 2017, 16:46 #1

What are your core tools, in other words, just your primary/daily drivers. I ask for just the primary/beating-heart of your toolkit, in order to keep the thread clean, and the posts straight forward. Share in a picture, preferably just one, with the tools all in the frame.

I thought this might be an interesting post if we can get many of the members onboard. Although not inherently helpful on its own, it might spark useful conversations, and of course, I think we'd all find it interesting. So share and ask questions!

*NOTICE TO BEGINNERS* ---> No one tool set/ tool is better then the other, they all have their trade offs. There is no secret or tool to learning to flintknap easier or faster. For example, Like they say about abo vs copper - the easiest one for you, will be the one you choose to learn with. Likewise, many of us have developed our own techniques to using our own unique combo of tools, and in time you will with your own tools too! If I had to give one piece of advice, to both copper and abo knappers, it would be to make direct percussion using billets/hammerstones etc, the focus of your learning process. Pressure/indirect simply can't stand on their own without direct percussion. You'll thank me later, I know from experience it will save you time and frustration! That's a matter of the order in which you learn, rather then the tool itself.

I'll start. Although I didn't feature them in the picture, a leather pad for percussion on leg, safety glasses and a left handed glove are part of my daily tools. To beginners - you can beat a point out with just hammer stones you found outside if you want, but if there are two tools you NEED, it's safety glasses and gloves!!! Id have lost both my eyes a long time ago. Even had a close call once while wearing safety glasses, so there you go.

IMG_20171205_202506.jpg
Last edited by King on 07 Dec 2017, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ghosts in the Stone

flintknappers.com/gallery/ghostsinthestone

LithicKing@gmail.com

Matt Moore

07 Dec 2017, 00:37 #2

I’m playing. Just kind of rushed through set up, but the only label left out would be the sheep hide I use on my bench to sit on. Lots of other boppers and such , but this is my everyday tools. The three boppers are heavier than normal ( so some have said). I have a press and dies for pressing out my copper caps, so when the head goes bad I melt the lead in the old cap and pour into the new. Keeps the weight always the same.

Matt Moore

King

07 Dec 2017, 07:24 #3

Nice Matt! Great sharing. Didnt add my large tool file, but i cant believe i forgot my leg pad. would have added that. It hangs on the underside of my chair, i guess unless im knapping-outa site, outa mind. haha. 
Ghosts in the Stone

flintknappers.com/gallery/ghostsinthestone

LithicKing@gmail.com

Matt Moore

07 Dec 2017, 20:05 #4

Yip, I know what ya mean. If you notice my odd item ( bandaids) is not for when I cut myself, but rather preventative maintenance. I cut myself in the same places on two fingers when doing heavy reduction so the bandaids are more of a isolated glove.

Matt Moore