The Sudden and Unannounced Move From Yuku to Tapatalk

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction

The Sudden and Unannounced Move From Yuku to Tapatalk

toxophileken

04 Sep 2017, 21:44 #1

From my post on the General Primitive Skills Discussion forum:

It came as quite a surprise to me (and doubtless you as well) that PaleoPlanet has been suddenly and without warning moved from Yuku to Tapatalk.  As you can see, we lost all our formatting (page layout, backgrounds, banner images, etc.).  The forum looks different all of a sudden!

I don't know why there was no warning about this, whatsoever.  I talked to Tom Mills, the forum founder.  Tom has planned to cede ownership of PaleoPlanet to me since he had me take over some years ago, but we hadn't finalized it.  We had plans to make the ownership change when we moved PaleoPlanet to a different place (a voluntary and planned migration away from Yuku).  Tom hasn't been able to spend much time at all dealing with PaleoPlanet since then, but he didn't receive a warning, either.  This move was unilateral, not our decision or choice, and coming on the heels of the disastrous Photobucket debacle, quite a blow.

But the fact is, your admin team, and specifically our two German admins, Michael Bootz and Raphael (Gekitsu), have been working (in those gentlemen's case, very hard) to correct the broken photo links problem; and a main part of those solutions has been finding a different host for PaleoPlanet than Yuku (one where photos would be hosted by the site itself, along with other improvements).So, hopefully this will just be a temporary diversion from the eventual goal of moving our forum to a more congenial host platform.

We were always going to have to start over with our forum layout, including backgrounds, forum order, photos, etc.  It would have been nice to have been able to get it close to ready as possible before unveiling it, but doubtless there would have been things to get used to.

I'm sorry this is the way it happened, and I'm sorry for all the confusion and concern.  The fact is, from our perspective, it was unavoidable.  Had we known, we would have looked for recourse, and we would have warned you!

Thank you for patience in this difficult time, and I hope you will be able to stay with us as we navigate these waters.

Ken Villars

toxophileken

04 Sep 2017, 21:44 #2

Check in on that discussion if you have questions, or ask them here.

Ken

Got Flutes

05 Sep 2017, 14:25 #3

toxophileken wrote: Check in on that discussion if you have questions, or ask them here.

Ken
I'm happy I can post pics now for sure, the format is funky, but if you can make it better soon or over time great! The photo thing is what kept me from posting. T

Got Flutes

05 Sep 2017, 14:35 #4

What does arrowheadology use? That is an easy side to use. I don't know how complicated it is to move things? T

Garrison

05 Sep 2017, 17:25 #5

I posted my comments on the "tapatalk" discussion thread here on the "flintknapping/general discussion" forum.

Neil

medicine maker

05 Sep 2017, 17:39 #6

Thanks again for all your work. Hopefully this can be resolved soon. 

toxophileken

05 Sep 2017, 19:14 #7

Thank you, guys.  

It looks like some of the features of Tapatalk are still being added, which makes sense on a move this big.  Quills, one of our admins (and a long time member) found some information regarding additional features that cost extra that we may want to explore (though we will probably wait to see how long we think we're going to be here).

The admin team is researching formats and host sites, and already talking about recoding all the work Michael lost due to this (unless we can access a back up).  I'm really grateful for all their hard work, especially considering I have almost no time to spend on this at the moment, as I am in the middle of installing a bunch of skylights (myself) and having our roof redone (by a contractor, when I get done).  I hope my personal mess at home will be resolved in the next few weeks, and in the meantime, we are discussing a lot of things.  Your input is appreciated and encouraged.

Here is just a partial list of things we are considering for the new site:

Permanence - site should not be subject to the whims of various companies not under our control (present case explains why)

Ease of photo hosting (from desktop and mobile devices)

Photos stored on site, remain with site, permanent

Ease of general posting and editing for members

Ease of site layout and management by admins

Cost, including "one time" fees and monthly bills.  We want to remain ad free if possible.

Ok, back up on the roof for me.  Thanks again for all your encouragement and any constructive suggestions you may have.

Ken

medicine maker

05 Sep 2017, 19:57 #8

Gracias for the update.

boletus

08 Sep 2017, 15:52 #9

How about a "donate" button on the new site? 

toxophileken

08 Sep 2017, 17:00 #10

Thanks, Boletus, for the suggestion.

That also brings up something the admin team is talking about, which is the potential costs for what we want to do.  We need to come up with a reasonable budget, hopefully one easily supported by member donations.

I don't think anybody who has been around here very long can not know how generous PP members are in general, and how they have supported the forum and came up with money in special cases when needed...  So it's not so much a worry as a responsibility/budget type thought.

Ken

Iktomi

09 Sep 2017, 15:04 #11

toxophileken wrote: Thanks, Boletus, for the suggestion.

That also brings up something the admin team is talking about, which is the potential costs for what we want to do.  We need to come up with a reasonable budget, hopefully one easily supported by member donations.

I don't think anybody who has been around here very long can not know how generous PP members are in general, and how they have supported the forum and came up with money in special cases when needed...  So it's not so much a worry as a responsibility/budget type thought.

Ken
 Let me know if there is a way I can be of help.

Michael Bootz

12 Oct 2017, 17:40 #12

Just an info:

It seems that there is now a way to access your old PMs and images stored in the Yuku galleries (I found out about this by chance through a google search).
Unfortunatley Tapatalk set up a separate forum for this, so there is no way to transfer them here.

Go to this link: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/yukuarchive/

The site looks like any other Tapatalk board. Log in with your old Yuku user name and password. The username must be in the format
<user name>.<board name>
  • Everyone with a local Yuku account on PaleoPlanet must add .paleoplanet69529 after the user name,
    e.g. Michael Bootz.paleoplanet69529
  • Everyone who had a global Yuku account must add .u after the user name,
    e.g. toxophileken.u
  • Everyone who originally created a local account on a different board must add that board name after his user name,
    e.g. Tyrannocaster.monsterkidclassichorrorforum
Once logged in, click on the envelope to access your old PMs:
PM01.jpg

There might be some glitches. In my case, there are all PMs I ever had - even the ones I had deleted.

To access the images in your Yuku galleries click on your user name on the upper right and select "User Control Panel" from the drop-down menu:
Images01.jpg

When in the User Control Panel, select "Manage Attachments":
Images02.jpg

Next select one of your albums from the drop-down list:
Images03.jpg

Now you should see a list of all images in the selected album:
Images04.jpg

Clicking on an image will display it in it's original size:
Images05.jpg

Now the image can be downloaded by right-clicking and selecting "Save Image As".

Again, there might be glitches. For example, most of my images seem to be broken. In the list it will show the image name and size, but when clicking on it I get an error message.

Quillsnkiko

13 Oct 2017, 03:12 #13

That's interesting Michael...I will have to check that out. I got a message the other day explaining the gold points ....which you see on the home page of tapatalk. They said that many more changes are coming soon. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Flntknpr

18 Oct 2017, 01:28 #14

I haven't seen any new posts on here since switching over, what happened?

nogie1717

18 Oct 2017, 20:42 #15

My thought is that the new look has thrown a lot of people off.  It is unfortunate as PP has been such a valuable resource for me as a beginning knapper.  Hopefully people will migrate back.

Quillsnkiko

18 Oct 2017, 22:07 #16

It is my understanding that a couple of tech savy fellows who are Administrators are working on getting Paleo Planet fixed better sometime soon. Michael Bootz is one of the tech savy guys. Ive got my fingers crosses.  Ive been holding my breath to....Hope it happens sometime soon. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."