A humble request

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction

A humble request

nogie1717

22 Aug 2017, 14:44 #1

I'm going to be putting on a flintknapping demonstration at our church's Sunday School Kickoff in a couple weeks and am hoping to get a couple of the youngsters involved in making a point.  Here is my dilemma - being a knapper that uses traditional tools, I am in need of some copper tipped pressure flakers.  I think it would just be a bit easier and more enjoyable.  The kids will be in that 10-14 age range.

If you have an old flaker that you don't use anymore and wouldn't mind donating, I'm more than happy to pay shipping and/or some sort of trade.  I'm thinking that I will only need 4-5.  My hope is to let the kid take it with them when they are done.  Anything else that you think I might need, please don't hold back with your thoughts.  Thanks!

jj from Fort Worth

22 Aug 2017, 15:12 #2

Be sure to require some type of eye protection.

boletus

22 Aug 2017, 15:20 #3

I hate to say it, but maybe liability waivers as well? Its unfortunate we have to think that way. Worst case, you can get some grounding wire for a couple bucks and just pound a piece into a dowel to make a disposable flaker. If a kid becomes interested, a good flaker is only about 8-10 bucks and mama might be able to help out with that.

Garrison

22 Aug 2017, 19:37 #4

Nogie --

I, too, am an "abo" knapper.

I do not use copper........but.......I do have some extra youth knapping tools/supplies that I would be willing to donate to your efforts.

Let's continue this discussion "off-line"........i.e., I will send you a PM ("personal message")........and......you can supply me with your mailing addy via our "off-line" communications.....

P.S. I do have some of the youth-sized safety glasses that J.J. mentioned......and.....again......I am willing to donate them to you.

Neil Garrison
(Yukon, OK)

nogie1717

22 Aug 2017, 21:15 #5

Thanks, all. Neil, I sent an email. You rock!! lol

BrewerMo

22 Aug 2017, 23:40 #6

Nogie, I did one for my daughter's girl scout meeting. They were 8 year olds and we stuck to percussion via hammerstones. I also had several small points and let each girl choose one to keep... remember to try to keep your answers and explanations simple and easy to understand.....lol. My wife had to step in a few times to help me explain stuff.....😄

Forager

23 Aug 2017, 00:39 #7

BrewerMo wrote:
 I also had several small points and let each girl choose one to keep... 
Kids just seem to love them.  I've done demos for Nature Centers, during organized field trips, and for the Scouts and I like to conclude by giving a point to every kid.  It reinforces the connection, provides a meaningful reference point and is consistent with good will.  We know what points were originally used for, this is a way for chipped stone to possibly become a seed.

Another detail from Brewer's good advice was to keep it simple; just think back to how challenging this craft was when you were first picking it up.

Nice going nogie and a tip of the hat to Garrison for stepping forward with the materials support!  Please let us know how it goes.  

nogie1717

12 Sep 2017, 18:07 #8

So I had my demonstration this past weekend and have to admit it could not have gone any better.  Sadly, I knap in a vacuum.  Aside from Lake Benton the past two summers, it's just me and the internet.  So to see so many people chip their first point, and their subsequent pride and enthusiasm, well, it was moving.  

To be honest, I didn't get too far into the specifics.  I handed them a flake and an antler and, as we all know, they just went into a zone and started chipping.  And a HUGE THANK YOU to Neil.  I couldn't have done it without your help.  The flakes, the antler, the safety gear, etc., that you sent went to great use.  You should have seen the excitement from the kids when I told them they could keep the antler, gloves, knapping pad and take as many flakes home with them as they wanted.  Just pumped.

This young guy was enthusiastic.  I had to break the bad news that we don't have much by way of knappable lithics, but he said he was going to look anyway.
IMG_1637.JPG

Like a lot of us when we started, holding the stone in our left hand and creating a vise with our legs was a challenging concept.  It was neat to see the varied ways of chipping the kids employed.
IMG_1640.JPG

Here we have the master of the class.  She produced two points and a shark tooth.  Each of which would cut with ease.
IMG_1643.JPG
Last edited by nogie1717 on 12 Sep 2017, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

nogie1717

12 Sep 2017, 18:19 #9

While only a couple of the adults decided to try their hand, this gentleman took to it like a fish in water.  I was texting his wife last night to see if I could get a picture of his point and she said that he was talking about buying some tools!
IMG_1651.JPG

That's me on the tarp and my daughter.  She felt pretty cool knowing a bit more about flintknapping than the others.
UCC3.jpg

One of the neatest things about the event was answering peoples' questions.  Not surprisingly, there was a lot of curiosity and not a lot of background knowledge.  Interestingly enough, there was a guy there who was asking questions about heat treating and other advanced subjects in flintknapping.  He'd never tried it, but was more learned on the matter than any non-knapper I've met.

In this picture, I think I am demonstrating my dance moves or talking about the depth of the quarry pits at Spanish Diggings.  
UCC5.jpg

In my short time as a flintknapper, this was absolutely one of the best experiences I had and I hardly did any chipping.  I will definitely do something like this again.  There was talk about arrow making (which would be neat to show how to make pine pitch glue and using sinew), atlatl making and throwing, etc.  Anyway, thanks for looking and THANK YOU, NEIL!!

Indian Guide

13 Sep 2017, 14:11 #10

Love this post. You are setting up the next generation of knappers, kudos to you. I know you know this but, for the next one, make sure they all have a pair of safety glasses. You can get them cheap from places like Harbor Freight. Thanks for sharing this, good job! Tim