Fall Nibletts Bluff, LA Knap In

Manufacture of stone tools, knives and arrowheads by lithic reduction
ndoghouse

17 Sep 2017, 04:04 #21

Thanks for the update wyo knapper!  Was kinda expecting that. Too bad tho.  That was such a nice spot and a great Knap-in. Maybe back to Ragley? 

wyo knapper

17 Sep 2017, 14:59 #22

ndoghouse wrote: Thanks for the update wyo knapper!  Was kinda expecting that. Too bad tho.  That was such a nice spot and a great Knap-in. Maybe back to Ragley? 
I received an email from Lou Holloway this morning as follows:

GOOD MORNING ROBERT.  MAN IT IS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU.  WE PLANNED ON CHECKING WITH THE NIBLETTS BLUF PARK NEXT WEEK AND IF THEY SAY NO THEY WONT BE ABLE TO  HOST US, WE WILL GO BACK TO RAGLEY CAMP GROUNDS.  SO THE KNAPIN IS ON.  IF ANOTHER STORM DONT HIT ON THOSE DAYS. THAT WILL BE THE LONE PINE CAMP GROUNDS RAGLEY LA. AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW ONE PLACE OR THE OTHER.  {TEX} - LOU.

So the knap-in is still on and I will be making plans to attend.  Will start looking for a place to park my fifth wheel today.  Looking forward to seeing my fellow knappers next month.

ndoghouse

18 Sep 2017, 02:42 #23

Back to Ragley it is then! Cant wait! Thx Robert!

wyo knapper

18 Sep 2017, 14:57 #24

ndoghouse wrote: Back to Ragley it is then! Cant wait! Thx Robert!
Do you know if the Lone Pine Campground in Ragley can accommodate a large fifth wheel trailer?  From what I can tell, they don't have a "developed" RV campground and that's OK, we can "dry" camp, but need to know if there will be a someplace to park it - on the grass, in the pasture, etc.?  I have tried to call and one number has been disconnected and the other number rolls over to voice mail.  Thanks! 

ndoghouse

19 Sep 2017, 00:48 #25

wyo knapper wrote:
ndoghouse wrote: Back to Ragley it is then! Cant wait! Thx Robert!
Do you know if the Lone Pine Campground in Ragley can accommodate a large fifth wheel trailer?  From what I can tell, they don't have a "developed" RV campground and that's OK, we can "dry" camp, but need to know if there will be a someplace to park it - on the grass, in the pasture, etc.?  I have tried to call and one number has been disconnected and the other number rolls over to voice mail.  Thanks! 
Tex an Lou park their behemoth there. Im not sure how many can be parked there but last time I went there was plenty of room for another.  Theres a wide open space in the middle of the area you could park it but i couldnt tell you about the connections. The park was apparently built over an asphalt parking lot so the ground surface is very stable. Makes for a heck of a time putting tent stakes down tho:) Most people tent camp around the outsides near the woods. RV,s and Teepees tend to the middle. Thats just what I've seen. The fall knapins arent usually as crowded as the spring ones but I couldnt tell you for sure what kinda crowd they will have.  Wish I could tell you something concrete and hopefully someone else will chime in here. 

wyo knapper

20 Sep 2017, 15:09 #26

I just received an email from Tex/Lou Holloway in regards to the upcoming Niblett's Bluff knap-in this coming October.  They talked with Darrell Shell, President of the park, yesterday and Mr. Shell advised that Niblett's Bluff Park WILL BE able to host the knap-in October 26-29.  He further advised that the park would be open for business on October 1st - so that is good news for us knappers.  We probably won't be able to make phone calls to the park until it reopens on October 1.  Please pass this along.  I apologize for creating any confusion in this regard - my wife keeps telling me that I am impatient, but I don't listen (she tells me that too). 

ndoghouse

21 Sep 2017, 01:55 #27

wyo knapper wrote: I just received an email from Tex/Lou Holloway in regards to the upcoming Niblett's Bluff knap-in this coming October.  They talked with Darrell Shell, President of the park, yesterday and Mr. Shell advised that Niblett's Bluff Park WILL BE able to host the knap-in October 26-29.  He further advised that the park would be open for business on October 1st - so that is good news for us knappers.  We probably won't be able to make phone calls to the park until it reopens on October 1.  Please pass this along.  I apologize for creating any confusion in this regard - my wife keeps telling me that I am impatient, but I don't listen (she tells me that too). 
Thank you Wyo! Thats awesome news!

23 Oct 2017, 12:40 #28

I can't believe it's finally almost time for the Knap in.
Can't wait to get there either.
I aint been chipping much due to all the work going on around here, and I just am very excited about it.

freeze cracked

23 Oct 2017, 13:30 #29

the knapin is at lone pine rv park 4.5 miles east of ragley, NOT at nibletts bluff.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

23 Oct 2017, 19:51 #30

Thanks for the update.
Ida went to Niblets and been in shock that noone was there like I did at Ragley once. I drove over there weekend before the knap in and was shocked that noone was there. 

ndoghouse

25 Oct 2017, 05:41 #31

Im headed out shortly soon as I can get some sleep. Hope to see somebody there Wed. nite! I might be alone? Hope to see ya there Terry!

freeze cracked

25 Oct 2017, 12:18 #32

i should be there this afternoon. and i bet tyler will be there, and several other people. can't remember how many were there on weds before, but there's some. 

i'll also be at juniper point on lake eufaula in oklahoma nov 2-5 for the knapin and primitive skills event there
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

26 Oct 2017, 04:26 #33

I will be there Friday
Work is CRAZY round here.

26 Oct 2017, 23:22 #34

I bifaced a obsidian slab today at work thinking bout yall.
I be there sometime tomorrow.
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG

26 Oct 2017, 23:24 #35

Try again
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG

ndoghouse

01 Nov 2017, 05:21 #36

Got a little bit done at Ragley.

An almost finished Keokuk blade with a lightnin bolt through it and a knife blade im calling done other than hafting a piece of antler to it and a lil GT lopsided dovetail. Thats about it but I sure had lots of fun and ate a lot.

I got to throw some atlatl darts with my buds and even got me a new Osage bow with purple heart tips.

Now my wife can have my lighter one and Ill use the big'un. Ready for the next one!

02 Nov 2017, 03:41 #37

Those look good danny,
I finished up a preform I started at the knap in, and made the bigger blade since then.
Both from FCs rock.
Thanks for the rock FC
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG

freeze cracked

02 Nov 2017, 12:58 #38

ONG! that rock i brought was all supposed to be just for borders for your flower beds! but good job fighting the good fight with it! good job on your work too, Danny :)

always good to get to see ya'll again :) i went home for three days and now I'm up in mcalester, oklahoma to go to my last knapin of the year, but actually i think there might be a small one at a guy's house that i may attend.

knap on, my bruthas!

ndoghouse

07 Nov 2017, 06:06 #39

Awesome Andice Terry! Looks like some pretty tough stuff. Freeze was testin us with that pile of rock wasnt he?

I finally finished that piece of tortilla I got from Santonio Keith and Rhonda. I left it pretty simple. Its hafted with a piece of elk tine and glued with some pine pitch, bees wax, charcoal, and dog hair mix. The lanyard is a slice of buffalo hide off my knapping pad. Some day im going to have to stop chopping off my knapping pads or ill end up with nuthin. Enjoy!

She bit me pretty good while doing the final sharpening. Some day ill remember to tape up that knuckle because it seems to happen every time I sharpen a long blade. I put the lanyard on it so if using it I wouldnt cut my pointer finger on the back of the knife choil while thrusting (like I need to worry bout that)?
I was going to wrap some sinew around the ricasso area but it simply dont need it!

Im happy with it! I think im going to send it off to my friend and have some fancy leather pants made for it. Enjoy and thanks for lookin!
ndog

15 Nov 2017, 06:05 #40

that's a mighty fine knife Danny
be carefull with the ol knuckles.