Decidedly off topic

Quest for fire

11 Oct 2017, 14:21 #361

Tracker had left over breaded haddock for his meat treat today.
Yesterday it was most of an open faced hamburger.
Both were gleefully inhaled. 😉

Quest for Fire

Quest for fire

12 Oct 2017, 00:10 #362

Here is a small Buck knife.
The model is a Lite something or other.
It is meant for backpackers concerned about weighing themselves down.
It is a high carbon stainless steel made evident by the light pitting.
I bought this model as it is made in North America and innocuous looking.

The reason it got taken out was to touch up the edge.
I am glad to have taken it out so the rust can be nipped in the bud.

The stone in the last pic' is a medium grit.
Almost perfect for touching up an edge by the trailside.

Excuse me about the shadows.
My camera has no flash and very little in the way of settings.
Tomorrow I will try and scare up some spec's.

Quest for Fire 
20171012_045129.jpg
20171012_045245.jpg
20171012_045303.jpg

Quillsnkiko

12 Oct 2017, 01:55 #363

Is the handle grey? I lost one just like that 14 years ago in Wisconsin when I was working for a goat dairy. Cut open and big oblong bale of hay and it popped..knocking the knife out of my grip.I hated loosing that knife....I looked and looked but could not find the durn thing.  They are a nice knife because of being so light weight..and they take a very sharp edge. Quills
" You can't stop the waves .... but, you can learn to surf."

Quest for fire

12 Oct 2017, 10:17 #364

Quillsnkiko wrote: Is the handle grey? I lost one just like that 14 years ago in Wisconsin when I was working for a goat dairy. Cut open and big oblong bale of hay and it popped..knocking the knife out of my grip.I hated loosing that knife....I looked and looked but could not find the durn thing.  They are a nice knife because of being so light weight..and they take a very sharp edge. Quills
Quills,as far as I can tell the scales come in a few colors.
The info' available on the Web states that it also came in a nondescript color.
One that could be taken for grey or green. Yes doesn't it take a nice edge?
Since posting I found out it is called the Bucklite and has been around for a while.
Give me a while.  Google image may have a few pic's of the available colors.

Edited to add

Apparently Bucklite isn't just a model but a line of knives.
Even the different models had a few options particular to themselves.
Below are a couple of pic's and I may even be able to scare up another.
The black and orange one is a bit garish but would be good to carve a hallow'een pumpkin. 😉

Quest for Fire
maxresdefault-3.jpg
images.jpg
s-l225-1.jpg

Quillsnkiko

12 Oct 2017, 15:55 #365

Yes the black & orange might have helped me find the knife ..but I don't care for the looks of that one..... at all. I am hard on knives...I either loose them or injure the blades....I carry a cheap one most of the time.I sometimes use it to cut weeds or grass or cut out weeds inthe crack of my old sidewalk sometimes. Soil is a little sandy to  and hitting the cement does not do the edge any good. I do have several pocket knives...I do NOT use for digging out weeds etc..though. More dedicated to skinning and cleaning fish.I was talking about the one I usually have in my pocket. I even dropped it by the car and ran over it breaking the plastic on the handle where a rivet goes thru.I thought I had lost it..but found it mowing because the handle was red. Cheap thing from China but takes a very good edge easily. If I wreck it ...no big loss. Quills

Robson Valley

12 Oct 2017, 18:18 #366

Locking folder?  Illegal in Britain.  Believe it.
My Mom bought me a Kershaw folder, decades ago when they were still American made (offshore now?)
I keep it in my day pack, can't be bothered to put it on my belt.

How much are the BuckLites?  (Buick Lights are about $35.00)

Quillsnkiko

12 Oct 2017, 18:47 #367

Really locking folder illegal in UK.. WOW!~!Now I know why my ancestors fought the British. Most americans are more independent than that.  Some switch blades I can see being illegal..but quite frankley I want a locking knife..Ive worked with some older ones that were not locking..and you can cut off a finger  depending on what your doing. Skinning a deer or cutting thru bone joints and the handle is slippery. Ive really never done it myself but know a few folks who have. I came close when I was younger a couple times...skinning goats.  I think the Buck lite I had was about 20-25 bucks 's but that was over 17 years ago.Now I am not sure. the red handled one I have from china is not a buck lite....it was less than 5 bucks on sale.Ive loved that little cheap knife. I must have about 10 pocket knives...and some sheath knives..Ive got 2 Damascus knives to. a Gerber Multi tool. and a Gerber bird hunter... Quills   My oldest brother collects knives...damascus mostly.

Robson Valley

12 Oct 2017, 18:59 #368

I have a bunch of mostly cheap little locking folders, scattered through my bird hunting kit.
Relax and look around!  You will probably find one or two!  Might be the crusts of apple juice and cheese
but that's just food, not dirt.  Pretty funny, that knife was the only one willing to be found on last Sunday's outing.

The Brits in BCUK told me that the legal argument was an extension of straight hafted blades,
that a locking folder "becomes" one of those in use.  A 3" folder, like a small Swiss Army Knife, is OK
for an every-day-carry in your pocket.  There's steady push to ban knife carry, altogether.

Trades people have a legitimate exemption.

Quest for fire

12 Oct 2017, 19:22 #369

Random thoughts on an Autumn walk.
Two less Tim Horton's coffees per month means Tracker can have
a lot more cookies from the Bulk Barn. Once the bicycle gets put away
it may mean three of Tim's finest as shopping will have to get done closer to home.

Occasionally one of the neighborhood dogs gets a corner of a cookie as befits her diminuitive size.
She is thirteen years old and at the start of her dotage.
She sniffs at the cookie then takes it daintily.

I know folks like to sweep up the leaves on the sidewalks. I like them there.
They carpet the cement from tree to tree as if to hide the emprisoning rock beneath a golden carpet.

You can hear people walking better when leaves are about.
Their false revery of gazing inwards at a Smart phone doesn't make for
an alert person. They look up suddenly as if Tracker magically appeared.
They don't know if he is dangerous. Tracker doesn't care if they are loons or not.
He lunges forward expecting his due of petting and proper reverence.

Tonite I may make a new tab out of goat skin if there is time.
Tuesday I set up the paper tuner to help a buddy test arrow flight.
He has a good entry level olympic style recurve. The previous owner
had cut into the riser to set in the arrow rest. I thought it was because
the bow didn't have centershot but my tests prove otherwise.
The new owner's arrows fly atrociously making a four inch slash in the paper at ten yards.
But I think the issue is with the arrows being too stiff. They are the original owner's arrows.
I think his theories on proper arrow spine need practice.
Next time my buddy comes to the range I may bring my spine tester.

A nice cup of herbal tea and then an hours rest before getting ready for tonite.

Will I see you there?

Quest for Fire
Last edited by Quest for fire on 12 Oct 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Robson Valley

12 Oct 2017, 20:00 #370

No, Quest, I can't make it.  Cheese-making school starts tonight at 6:30PM.
Also, I'm buying a seat for a kid who could not afford it.  Keep that under your hat.