nogie1717
nogie1717

July 11th, 2018, 12:40 pm #981

I’m in a notching slump (mostly humidity on my tools), so I pulled out a cast of an Agate Basin I have and working in that direction. I’m happy with my results, but the balance on the cast is so good that I just can’t get there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 11th, 2018, 12:53 pm #982

Nice work nogie they look great. Making a point symmetrical is the hardest part for me. I'll work on something till I think it looks good then take a picture of it,and sometimes I laugh and sometimes I cry!

Stacy

hixton
hixton

July 11th, 2018, 2:03 pm #983

nogie1717 wrote:I’m in a notching slump (mostly humidity on my tools), so I pulled out a cast of an Agate Basin I have and working in that direction. I’m happy with my results, but the balance on the cast is so good that I just can’t get there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steady as she goes. I have been busy with summer activities myself. A nice handful of points. I strive to do it more like freeze. He turns out points that are balanced all around, I think I know technically what I need to do, but I'm still not there in later stages! Thanks for sharing your work.

Hixton

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cnyle
cnyle

July 11th, 2018, 10:49 pm #984

Great looking work everyone. I guess I kinda ended up with a crude interpretation of a Hopewell point but this wasn’t the intended finished point. I was going for a Beacon Island but the notches wanted to be Hopewell lol.

Charles
Charles

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 12th, 2018, 1:51 pm #985

cnyle wrote: Great looking work everyone. I guess I kinda ended up with a crude interpretation of a Hopewell point but this wasn’t the intended finished point. I was going for a Beacon Island but the notches wanted to be Hopewell lol.

Charles
the vast majority of knappers would have found that rock challenging.  it's tough but doesn't have great edge/platform quality. going from notched to stemmed is a very reasonable decision when that's what the rock wants to be.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 12th, 2018, 2:35 pm #986

lost in the fog regarding how to notch into some degree of thickness? well, the best answer is to thin sufficiently to make notching a sure thing, but i can run notches into 5-6mm thick decent material without a problem using pressure with steel in techniques i've shown in videos. there are a *bunch* of ways to notch, and many will work ok under optimal conditions, but most won't work well trying to notch into much thickness without opening up the notches wide.

there were a bunch of seams and crystals in this rock, but there was also a point in there, and it needed to come out.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

boletus
boletus

July 12th, 2018, 3:44 pm #987

freeze.. Those 2 points are phenomenal. Id like to be a little more "descriptive", but I gotta keep it pg in here.
-Jason

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

July 12th, 2018, 4:15 pm #988

Freeze, one day i honestly hope to be as good as you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time,

nogie1717
nogie1717

July 12th, 2018, 4:38 pm #989

Thanks for the comments and those are some nice points cnyle and freeze.

I would like to expound a bit more on balance.  I'll try to pull some photos of the cast, but on a side view along the blades edge, the thickness of the point doesn't vary more than a mm (if not less) outside of the taper at the tip and the base.  When peering down from the proximal or distal end, the lenticular contour is incredibly smooth and almost perfectly "balanced".  I've heard that the best of the Edens (with their diamond cross section) will balance on the median ridge of that diamond.  

I don't have an artists eye, so thank goodness my wife can help me out if I really want a point to look symmetrical, but the balance, to me, is far more intriguing and in my humble, uneducated opinion is what made the difference between a Havalon and Buck Knife to those who relied on them.  

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 12th, 2018, 5:05 pm #990

I have not posted any points for a while, so I thought I would post the last three I have been able to finish. I broke two others.  Been crazy hot and humid here so  my knappin time is early mornings on weekends and late evening after work.

The serrated point was going to be a agate basin but during the first pass of pressure a huge chunk on the lower third on left broke out so I decided to practice serrations on it.
It and the Dickinson are Burlington and the adena is buffalo river.

Stacy
20180712_123145.jpg
20180712_123409.jpg
20180712_123438.jpg

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 12th, 2018, 5:32 pm #991

nogie1717 wrote: Thanks for the comments and those are some nice points cnyle and freeze.

I would like to expound a bit more on balance.  I'll try to pull some photos of the cast, but on a side view along the blades edge, the thickness of the point doesn't vary more than a mm (if not less) outside of the taper at the tip and the base.  When peering down from the proximal or distal end, the lenticular contour is incredibly smooth and almost perfectly "balanced".  I've heard that the best of the Edens (with their diamond cross section) will balance on the median ridge of that diamond.  

I don't have an artists eye, so thank goodness my wife can help me out if I really want a point to look symmetrical, but the balance, to me, is far more intriguing and in my humble, uneducated opinion is what made the difference between a Havalon and Buck Knife to those who relied on them.  
balance and smoothness were incredibly important on high plains projectile points because those characteristics were primary ones in shielding the point from transverse/lateral failure. i have seen astonishing attention paid to those characteristics on some paleo points. but in a way it takes the same mastery of edge prep and contours as it does to achieve semi-perfect facial symmetry. one failed flake platform out of hundreds can ruin things. but the basic concept is to first attempt to totally master getting exactly the flake you want every single time you flake. and the second thing is that once you have that mad skill acquired, play 3d lithic chess with the rocks and be as many moves ahead as possible in your awareness, and consider the effect of every flake on the balance as much or more than on the facial symmetry. 

when you want to make a perfect eden, what you're wanting is to make a perfect equivalent of a ground preform, plus one set of pressure flakes. so you don't set the thing up to run the last set of flakes along existing ridges from the previous set. you selectively flake to remove all ridges, deltas, or traces of anything but smoothness and great contours from the faces and edges, and then you run your last set, locking in your grip and angle like a machine, and/or block supporting if you choose to try that route, and checking and redressing your flaker tip as often as needed to keep changes in that variable to a minimum too. 

but getting the edges prepped so well that every flake taken releases the same is semi-impossible, so even though you try, you have to have developed so much intuitive understanding of edges from all your previous work that you sense what very slight differences in pressure, angle, etc. might be needed to compensate for any edge irregularity or adjustment needed due to the previous flake taken. 

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 12th, 2018, 11:32 pm #992

i was careful from the first flake to the last, but didn't punt on anything. left a tiny sliver of patinated cortex on the bottom of the base for fun.  🙃

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 12th, 2018, 11:47 pm #993

That's a dandy Freeze, it looks as if it were made with diligence. love the flake scars. What is the material?

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 13th, 2018, 12:22 am #994

Stacyharmon wrote: That's a dandy Freeze, it looks as if it were made with diligence. love the flake scars. What is the material?
Rainy Butte silicified wood from North Dakota.  it’s very unusual but I understand it’s requirements.

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

July 13th, 2018, 1:04 am #995

freeze cracked wrote:
Stacyharmon wrote: That's a dandy Freeze, it looks as if it were made with diligence. love the flake scars. What is the material?
Rainy Butte silicified wood from North Dakota.  it’s very unusual but I understand it’s requirements.
I have only worked one piece of Rainy Butte and I obviously didn't understand its requirements, ended up with a nice little bird point from a fist size piece. Again beautiful work on a unique material.

Stacy

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

July 14th, 2018, 12:35 am #996

Okay y'all, I just finished this one and was thinking about using this as the handle but I'm not so sure what do you think I am open for any advice.
Thanks your friend,
Brandon

Thanks for your time,

Dan Rowlett
Dan Rowlett

July 14th, 2018, 3:30 am #997

ShootinFlakes6245 wrote:Okay y'all, I just finished this one and was thinking about using this as the handle but I'm not so sure what do you think I am open for any advice.
Thanks your friend,
Brandon

Looks are important. More important is how it feels in your hand. Hold it as if you were going to use the knife. If you're not sure about the look and if it doesnt feel right, then try something else.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm #998

ShootinFlakes6245 wrote: Okay y'all, I just finished this one and was thinking about using this as the handle but I'm not so sure what do you think I am open for any advice.
Thanks your friend,
     Brandon
what you should consider doing depends hugely on whether your work is art to be admired or tools to be used. if it's art to be admired, make it exactly however you please. if it's tools to be used, think about what will work the best.
two very different concepts, that need two very different approaches. the blade and handle arrangement you showed are attractive.

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

July 14th, 2018, 2:27 pm #999

"texas twister" is raw georgetown with opposite bevels "twisted" with oblique pressure flaking onto the percussioned blade and base. other two points were reductions of small blanked flint ridge material. you'll have some loss if you work that kind of stuff, since it's full of seams, crystals, etc., but when the seams are healed and you can work things out, the results can be a bit spectacular at times. roy miller has some images of his work with his material on his website showing the best of the best flint ridge ==> link

cornernotched
cornernotched

July 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm #1000

Thought I'd post a piece of rhyolite I've been beating on.
DSC02631.JPG