hixton
hixton

1:02 PM - May 14, 2018 #741

WillmcUtah wrote:Knife for my wife.
Nice knife. The leather grip adds some extra detail.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stacyharmon
Stacyharmon

1:07 PM - May 14, 2018 #742

VirginiaKnapper wrote: Here is what I have made lately, an eccentric point and some greenstone tools, a celt, a flaked and hafted celt, and a handaxe. The point was made by some direct antler percussion and antler pressure, and the notch with steel pressure, not yet a horseshoe nail. I am not sure if this is rubbish, but the larger the contact area, the broader the resulting flake, I have got many more years to finally be sure. The first celt was pecked and ground using the round end of a ball peen hammer and ground with a kind of concrete, which performed very well, and polished with a cobble of quartzite river jack. The edge was refined with a smooth, fine, and gritty rock from around here. I could use some advice on peckers because I do not feel comfortable or like using modern tools, but it works. The flaked celt was made using a quartzite hammerstone and Boxwood percussion (the handle was made a year or two ago), and the handaxe was made the exact same way; both came from the same piece of greenstone, which split in half amidst the percussion process, forgot if it was hammerstome or wood billet. It felt like it was kind of soft, still disturbingly hard, and another attribute that make greenstone, in my opinion, among the hardest to knap, is that there can be a step, on a step, on a step, basically steps on a step!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Nice job on the celt. I have about a half dozen rocks iv been moving around in my garage for years that I have saved for pecking and grinding celts and axes. I read or watched a video where they pecked with a nodule of flint, where they chipped it to have a pointed end. There is a YouTube video of a man making a celt or axe I can't remember which.  I think his YouTube handle is rocksinhead very good video shows how he ground it on sandstone in a creek.

That glass point looks like a hollow base point from Europe. DC Waldorf shows one in his dagger video.

Stacy

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

4:00 PM - May 14, 2018 #743

Thanks both Hummingbird Point and StacyHarmon. Larry Kinsella noted in an article of his in one of the S.P.T.'s books that chert made for great peckers, but I have not been able to experiment because I have none that would be able to serve that purpose. I am going to check out the hollow base points, they sound really interesting. I will also try to find that video, it also sounds like it will yield some great knowledge. For making celts and axes, I would highly suggest reading the articles in Primitive Technology: a Book of Earth Skills pertaining to the subject. They have served me most of what I know about making them (celts and axes). I hope what I write does not sound too long.

"It's about what you learn, not what you make" - Erret Callahan
"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

Hummingbird Point
Hummingbird Point

8:51 PM - May 14, 2018 #744

VirginiaKnapper wrote: Thanks both Hummingbird Point and StacyHarmon. Larry Kinsella noted in an article of his in one of the S.P.T.'s books that chert made for great peckers, but I have not been able to experiment because I have none that would be able to serve that purpose. I am going to check out the hollow base points, they sound really interesting. I will also try to find that video, it also sounds like it will yield some great knowledge. For making celts and axes, I would highly suggest reading the articles in Primitive Technology: a Book of Earth Skills pertaining to the subject. They have served me most of what I know about making them (celts and axes). I hope what I write does not sound too long.

Use gnarly pieces of quartz or quartzite to peck with.  

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

12:19 AM - May 15, 2018 #745

Thanks again Hummingbird Point!

"Nothing like busting out a Savannah River out of some gnarly shit." - Robert Godshall, 1st annual ThunderRidge knap in.

Troy Harkey
Troy Harkey

1:12 AM - May 15, 2018 #746

Finished this up tonight, still not the best work but improving, got good and flat on one side and a little fat on the other side, was originally going for a Lost Lake but my notches bottomed out ended up looking like a Bell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

1:14 AM - May 15, 2018 #747

Here is a small point i just made. I love the colors!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time,

freeze cracked
freeze cracked

3:43 PM - May 16, 2018 #748

a couple of half-hearted pieces made from small georgetown nodules. physical infirmities and probably the worst air in the country yesterday kind of cramped my style. think the ozone was 208. not sure about the particulates. 

mainly posted to comment about the reduction strategy on the butted knife. i could tell from the cortex that there might be unhealed seams in the rock. the visible seam is fairly long and for part of its length is completely unhealed and goes all the way through the rock. that in itself was reason enough to not attempt to make a regular point from the nodule, but also it was an additional reason to want to not lose any more width than necessary in reducing the rock, which was already small and narrow. 

so what i do in that case is avoid turning the edge much and just work close to the centerline, which would normally prevent thinning effectively. what i do to achieve thinning from near the centerline is to get the platform fairly strong and then strike fairly strongly and use pressure on the face for every flake to make the flakes run much deeper than they normally would. and every major flake counts so i try to get the most out of each one. 
Last edited by freeze cracked on 7:26 PM - May 16, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
i dream of a better world in which chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Papaxfour
Papaxfour

6:08 PM - May 16, 2018 #749

freeze cracked wrote:

a couple of half-hearted pieces made from small georgetown nodules. physical infirmities and probably the worst air in the country yesterday kind of cramped my style. think the ozone was 208. not sure about the particulates. 

mainly posted to comment about the reduction strategy on the butted knife. i could tell from the cortex that there might be unhealed seams in the rock. the visible seam is fairly long and for part of its length is completely unhealed and goes all the way through the rock. that in itself was reason enough to not attempt to make a regular point from the nodule, but also it was an additional reason to want to not to lose any more width than necessary in reducing the rock, which was already small and narrow. 

so what i do in that case is avoid turning the edge much and just work close to the centerline, which would normally prevent thinning effectively. what i do to achieve thinning from near the centerline is to get the platform fairly strong and then strike fairly strongly and use pressure on the face for every flake to make the flakes run much deeper than they normally would. and every major flake counts so i try to get the most out of each one. 

Papaxfour
Papaxfour

6:15 PM - May 16, 2018 #750

Freeze cracked, nice point and Kerville knife. Just watched your video on Waldorf points and the publication of Chips. I think I have every issue. I think I got them from Dane Martin along time ago.

I still would like to own one of your fluted points.

willjo
willjo

1:13 AM - May 17, 2018 #751

Coral slab knapped
100_5944.JPG
A bad day hunting arrowheads is better than a good day at work anytime.

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

2:23 AM - May 17, 2018 #752

Thanks Jerry for the tip on thinning. I see VV Turner thinning from above the center line frequently, but there are some failures, and they are costly on width.

WA

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

10:52 PM - May 17, 2018 #753

My first time working a slab. , I was not so concerned about my flakes cars just focusing on not breaking it haha

Thanks for your time,

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

12:44 AM - May 18, 2018 #754

This is an eccentric I made out of TV glass, based on a design by Erret Callahan, whose was based of one by Don Crabtree. The methods used include antler percussion, both medium billet and small, sawed - off end of a larger antler crown, and antler pressure was used to set up thin pathways for the notches; nothing was done with a small steel nail. It took over two and a half hours to create.

WillmcUtah
WillmcUtah

1:40 AM - May 18, 2018 #755

Glass butte peach pit obsidian knife blade. Still have some edge work left but the lighting tonight was awesome.
C3B59689-4E29-42C1-8EBB-5F7EAA6DED0E.jpeg
A8167A7B-9A8B-442F-8B62-DC546656067B.jpeg

willjo
willjo

4:27 PM - May 19, 2018 #756

Georgetown today
100_5946.JPG
A bad day hunting arrowheads is better than a good day at work anytime.

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

10:00 PM - May 19, 2018 #757

WooHoo! Mail came today!! No more make shift boppers and a great book to learn more from.

Thanks for your time,

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

10:28 PM - May 19, 2018 #758

I would really like that book. I have Flintknapping: Making and Understanding Stone Tools and the S.P.T.'s books full of articles, but I hear that The Art of Flintknapping is the best.

ShootinFlakes6245
ShootinFlakes6245

10:32 PM - May 19, 2018 #759

I ordered it along with the tools from Flintknappingtools.com i order alot of stuff from them and it is normally only about 2 days of shipping. I think the book was $18 or $20.
VirginiaKnapper wrote:I would really like that book. I have Flintknapping: Making and Understanding Stone Tools and the S.P.T.'s books full of articles, but I hear that The Art of Flintknapping is the best.

Thanks for your time,

VirginiaKnapper
VirginiaKnapper

10:35 PM - May 19, 2018 #760

That doesn't sound too bad.