Knappable rock locations in Colorado?

RandomGrin
RandomGrin

July 20th, 2013, 1:01 am #1

Heya,

Total beginning knapper here, who was something of a rockhound as a child.

Therefore....anyone know where I can find and gather any knappable stone in Colorado?

From my google research, I think that means Jasper and maaaayyyybbe chert, but I am having a hard time finding actual locations.

Any help?

Thanks,

RandomGrin

reefera4m
reefera4m

July 28th, 2013, 4:52 am #2

RandomGrin,

PM me with your email address and I've forward your search for knappable rock to our members in Colorado.  We, (the Puget Sound Knappers), have two members who currently reside in Colorado - they may be able to help.

Proud member of the Puget Sound Knappers Clan of the OogaBooga Tribe
OogaBooga Chief, PSK Clan
Editor and Publisher of SPALLS, the Newsletter of the PSK
Webmaster - Puget Sound Knappers 
'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Indian Guide
Indian Guide

July 31st, 2013, 7:43 pm #3

RandomGrin - I sent you a PM

impailed1
impailed1

May 25th, 2017, 7:53 pm #4

I'm here in The Colorado San Juan Mountains, Lake City to be exact and I too need to locate some local rock to work. Retired and on a fixed income, leaves little for buying rocks so to feed my passion, I must find local as possible rock.
I would prefer no obsidian because I need more difficult challenges to progress with my knapping skills. I am trying to find the local source quarry of a very nice and beautifully colored rock that was used in this area but no luck yet. If I find that quarry, I will have some kick-ass trading rock but meanwhile, I need rock!!!
I would very much appreciate any leads on knappable rock available in or near my area.

Cromagnum
Cromagnum

March 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm #5

Any update? I too am in the San Juan’s. I would love to help search. I found good chert in the black canyon of the gunni. Can’t collect there though cuz it’s federally protected. What colors/materials are you talking about?

impailed1
impailed1

July 12th, 2018, 8:24 am #6

Cromagnum,
I have found some quartzite that was used in this area. (I have found and seen artifacts made from this quartzite)  My problem is my cooker only goes to 450 deg. and that rock must go higher.  Years ago I also found a quarry of jasper while hiking in to a high mountain lake. I'm a little old to do any serious hiking but I may try to go up there just on the chance I could find it again.  I'll keep you posted.

thisiswhatisee
thisiswhatisee

August 6th, 2018, 2:27 am #7

Hey guys, I asked a knowledgeable someone about Colorado sources last year and they said, "Nothing unless you dig for it." Not true! My experience: check out the geologic maps and ID the zones that may have knappable materials, find some public land that isn't under some sort of protection and start walking. I found some great material wandering. Plenty of quartzite around but also some high quality cherts. I didn't find any areas that were very productive, no "sources" but pretty flippin pleased with my finds.  I only have a photo of this one piece taken wet, chocolatey brown with tan/brown lines in it. Good luck! 0922171543c[1].jpg

impailed1
impailed1

Yesterday, 4:22 am #8

This is what I want to find!!!  I have found pieces but the quarry eludes me still!
IMG_0256.JPG