paleoarts
paleoarts

February 11th, 2013, 4:33 pm #21

thanks, man

here are the latest projects. first, i rehafted the original head (was unhappy with the first handle). second, the battle axe gets a handle. lastly is what i'm calling my 'Fertile Crescent' axe.

check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

End of the Trail
End of the Trail

February 11th, 2013, 11:00 pm #22

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen an axe quite like that third one. You must be enjoying this copper stuff, maybe an experiment with bronze is in order? Or is copper where you draw the line? Also, are the moulds reusable, or do you have to break them?

Drew

paleoarts
paleoarts

February 14th, 2013, 12:49 am #23

thanks, Drew. to answer your questions, some of the simple molds are reusable. the ones without holes or too much detail, but fire brick is cheap and super simple to carve so it isn't really an issue. no, i do draw the line at copper. like i've said before i'm pretty much a 'stoneage' kinda guy but wanted to try my hand at this just for the experience. yeah, that last axe is an original design of mine but i feel it catches the essance of some of the early Egyptian and Mesapotamian pieces i've seen.

Chris
check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

Knifesmith
Knifesmith

February 14th, 2013, 8:35 am #24

Ooooollllldddddd pennies...... Coooooooin braaaaasssssss.... It even looks like copper...

(it's calling you Chris!)

[some ribbing from an avowed metalhead]

--------------
Eric Dobratz
Scarab Forge

Don Abbott
Don Abbott

February 14th, 2013, 1:45 pm #25

Not to hijack this thread, and I've already mentioned this to Chris, but I am putting this box of pure copper scrap over on the Trade Blanket in case anyone is interested...

spring38
spring38

January 26th, 2014, 9:08 pm #26

Ireally liked your second pour axe and was wondering if you could make a pipe axe that way?

MacGyver1980
MacGyver1980

March 19th, 2014, 3:50 pm #27

Cool very nice work! would look very nice on the wall ! true artist Sir! congrats,

BillOregon
BillOregon

August 24th, 2014, 7:38 pm #28

Chris, I just stumbled on this thread. You've accomplished what I plan to. I've been saving scrap copper and wire for several years now, with the aim of pouring a couple of Oetzi axe heads. I also have tin on hand to make some bronze. I think I can get it up to temp in my propane forge, but need a crucible, tongs and protective materials. Good to know about the fire brick for mold patterns. I had heard that with some materials, the mold has to get heated first in order to get a solid, clean pour, but this does not seem to be an issue with fire brick.
Very, very nice pieces!

Knifesmith
Knifesmith

August 24th, 2014, 11:18 pm #29

One note that I've got for copper melters, is that bubbling is a pretty common problem as copper sucks oxygen out of the air at an unbelievable rate at temp. You can counter this by melting with a thick layer of flux or glass over the top, or do the japanese trick of putting charcoal in your crucible as a sacrificial material.

--------------
Eric Dobratz
Scarab Forge

Tetsuoh
Tetsuoh

September 19th, 2014, 4:22 pm #30

not to hijack but as bronze and brass are copper alloys do they bubble as much as normal copper? gonna be doing some casting if I can ever get out and get my forge built and was hoping to start working copper and copper alloys - so this was a VERY informative thread for me, thank you Guys! Especially you Paleo!

Knifesmith
Knifesmith

September 19th, 2014, 9:08 pm #31

Not really no. I regularly cast small brass ingots in brass and coin bronze. They bubble if you massively overheat them, but pure copper sucks O2 like nobody's business.

Be careful if you're using recycled brass/bronze. Some alloys can have somewhat unexpected things in them like lead added for increased machineability, and of course the zinc can cause problems if you burn it off by overheating (respiratory problems) etc...

--------------
Eric Dobratz
Scarab Forge

medicine maker
medicine maker

April 10th, 2017, 6:11 pm #32

This still inspires me years after ive seen it.

medicine maker
medicine maker

February 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm #33

This really needs some restored images.

Robson Valley
Robson Valley

February 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm #34

I forged a few copper knife blades from 1/4" copper rod.  Could hardly skin a carrot with any of them.
Knowing how poor my striking accuracy is and having a poor heat source, I found a black smith to 
forge some adze blades.  I hafted those in the manner of a D-adze, a popular wood carving tool
Here in the Pacific Northwest.  Here, you can see many examples of both the crooked knives and the various adzes.

http://www.kestreltool.com/

Of course, these are all steel.  I have and use the adzes and many similar carving knives.