December 28 - Pasadena Photos

For discussion related to primitive bows.
tim.meehan
tim.meehan

March 28th, 2018, 8:02 pm #41

Can anyone help me get in touch with Ken?

Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

March 29th, 2018, 10:23 am #42

tim.meehan wrote: Can anyone help me get in touch with Ken?
I'm assuming you mean toxophileken?
Simply send him a PM. Go to his profile page and then click on the "Message" button:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1195199

tim.meehan
tim.meehan

March 29th, 2018, 4:16 pm #43

Thanks.

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

April 8th, 2018, 5:30 am #44

The good old days. How can we get the Pasadena meet cranked up again?

Tim

George Tsoukalas
George Tsoukalas

April 12th, 2018, 6:23 pm #45

Wow! Looks like such a good time. I know I enjoyed it when I went.  Many years ago .
That is a wild looking Yumi . Jawge          

billyp
billyp

April 19th, 2018, 5:56 pm #46

I would be interested in restarting the Pasadena meet.....anybody else???

Bill
Aim Small - Hit Small  - Repeat

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

May 17th, 2018, 1:26 am #47

Maybe we need to revive our monthly gatherings in 2018! I miss them. Tom

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

May 17th, 2018, 1:28 am #48

Let’s just set a date. Sunday the 27th of May anyone?

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

May 17th, 2018, 1:56 am #49

Tom:

Ok, Sunday the 27th. I'll bring the chronograph, bow-making bench, staves, scale and string-making gear. Maybe we can get Ken to bring his tillering tree.

March 2006
DSC05434.JPG

toxophileken
toxophileken

May 17th, 2018, 3:57 am #50

That is the weekend of the California State Broadhead Championship, so I will likely miss the bowyers' meet.

I would love to have these meets again.  My main problem was affording the gas.  I also felt like it moved away from being a place to get together and make bows and practice primitive skills with my friends, and became a place people came to to have us help them make free bows...  The last several times we got together there, all the experienced guys were so busy helping first timers make bows, we didn't get to hang out with each other at all.

If we are going to get together as a group of friends, I will definitely do my best to attend when I can.  I'm happy to help people make a bow now and then in between working on my projects there, but not at the expense of social interaction with my friends. 

Ken

toxophileken
toxophileken

May 17th, 2018, 7:08 pm #51

Forgot to say, I'm so glad David's photos are still up, and thanks to Tim for posting more!

Ken

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

May 17th, 2018, 11:12 pm #52

All:

Since a different meet has been scheduled for the 27th I guess we should set our Pasadena meet for the Sunday after. Opinions?

Half the fun for me was showing new guys how to make bows, so I'm up for that.

Ken:

Yes, glad Dave's photos are still alive when so many are gone now. I've got tons of them here, so maybe I'll post some occasionally. Like this one of some movie star strong man who wandered into the meet.
DSC06716 10 .jpg

toxophileken
toxophileken

May 18th, 2018, 4:21 am #53

Tim, I don't think the guys who come to the Pasadena meets go to the State Broadhead shoot, so I may be the only one affected; but thanks for the thought!  Would love to see you at the meets again!

Yep, I don't mind helping people make bows either, but it got to where that was pretty much all we were doing down there...  It's tough for me to pay to go help people make bows, when I've been trying to work things out the opposite...  Ha ha.

Thanks for that photo!  So long ago I remember the bow but barely remember the shoes...  Belt, sunglasses and keeper and pants are long worn out now, too.  Might still have the shirt, but probably not.  Back when my tiller tree base still had paint on it...  

I see Guy and Alex and Michael and I think Jon and Aimee and maybe Phil and Tom, too...

Sorry if I sounded discouraging!  Just letting you know why some of us haven't been coming anymore...  I'm sure we could get it back going again, and it would be fun.

Ken

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

May 20th, 2018, 3:28 pm #54

As it turns out, I won’t be able to make it this month. I’m up for a gathering at the end of June though! Tom

Tim Baker
Tim Baker

May 21st, 2018, 7:26 am #55

Okay, let's aim for the end of June, unless there's a spontaneous call by others for a sooner one. PP is gradually getting more active, so it will take some time to get the word out about reviving the Pasadena meets. Maybe by the end of June a few more will be aboard, and after, when reports that an actual meet has happened, with others to follow, the meets should begin to populate again.

January 2008 
DSC07818.JPG
DSC07819.JPG

Stalker
Stalker

May 21st, 2018, 9:48 am #56

This is so cool, too bad we don't have this in Europe, Balkans especially.
Filip

gekitsu
gekitsu

May 21st, 2018, 10:59 pm #57

i agree, filip. i’d love to be able to meet the gang in person.
but i do live vicariously through the stories and photos you guys are going to share afterwards.

raphael
“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I’ve watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those … moments will be lost in time, like tears … in rain.”
—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

French Crow
French Crow

May 23rd, 2018, 8:32 am #58

Stalker wrote: This is so cool, too bad we don't have this in Europe, Balkans especially.
One thing we do have in Europe is the prehistoric throwing weapons championship (atlatl and bow). Great fun! And no doubt that some bowyery would be welcome - see that with local organizers... You guys from Balkans might try some of the italian rounds.
The 2018 championship map.

Always in a friendly and comforting atmosphere:  😜

Bruno