Tom's Got a Brand New Bandsaw!

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

November 11th, 2005, 10:03 pm #1

Man, I'm psyched. My old Craftsman bandsaw died a slow death not long ago. Went without for a few months. Didn't realize how spoiled I'd become.

My lovely wife just bought me a new Jet, 14", 1hp bandsaw. Just got done assembling the sucker, and put it to the test on a 3" thick plank of osage. It cut through like butter! It's been christened with the yellow dust!

yipee.

Will have roughed out red oak staves to give to newcomers at the next So. Cal bowyers gathering! Let us rejoice!

Tom

badger5149
badger5149

November 11th, 2005, 10:16 pm #2

Tom, I have guy near my house that makes up blades for me at $8.00 each, they seem to work as well as the expensive ones I used to buy. Steev

Win1885
Win1885

November 11th, 2005, 10:27 pm #3

Congrat's Tom! I know the feeling. About 6 mos ago I got a 14" Delta at an auction......Got it home, tuned it up, and it's cutting like a banshee! That's why I 've got my old Craftsman for sale on the Trade Blanket.......
Tom I.

Richard Saffold
Richard Saffold

November 12th, 2005, 2:12 am #4

you lucky Dog! I'll bet you were able to cross everything off that honeydew list to get a toy like that!

I will bring a 6" osage log the next time I visit you!(joke)
Rich-envious
GoodlandArchery.com

Ibex
Ibex

November 12th, 2005, 2:48 am #5

That old Craftsman was in it's golden years when you got it. I bet that new on is nice!

arquerogringo
arquerogringo

November 14th, 2005, 8:01 am #6

Congrats to you.
I finally got my grubbers on a 14 in. 1 hp too. finally.
After many, many bows, and 6 or so years of toiling away without a bandsaw I am ready in the process of taking it to my woodpile. Look out world, Damon has a bandsaw too.
Damon"The future will soon be a thing of the past" George Carlin
www.kentarchery.com
"The future will soon be a thing of the past" George Carlin, R.I.P.
"He was here just a minute ago" (epitaph)

alberto aleotti
alberto aleotti

November 14th, 2005, 4:12 pm #7

Tom, that's great... I love my bandsaw, it's a great tool for both roughing and also for ripping boards... be prepared to change blade or sharpen it quite often!
Alberto

James Carmichael
James Carmichael

November 14th, 2005, 5:25 pm #8

Congrats on your new toy. I find a bandsaw about the most useful tool in my "shop".

I have to wonder, with a name like "Paleo", is using a bandsaw cheating???

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

November 15th, 2005, 3:03 am #9

I used my old bandsaw for lots of things besides bowmaking. I've used it for some joinery while making cabinet doors for my wife, for roughing out green wood for turning bowls, for cutting up wood for knife handles, for roughing out atlatl blanks, and for other decorative woodworking uses.

When the old one died, I realized (painfully) how very useful these darn machines can be! Now I'm back in action with a vengence.

T