Throwing Atlanta darts

jtester
jtester

5:53 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #1

Thought I'd give atlatl's a try.  I built one of my own and purchased another.  I have nearly zero success throwing darts.  They usually go about 15' and nose dive into the ground.  I've watched a number of You Tube videos but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Any suggestions on technique would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Chippintuff
Chippintuff

9:16 PM - Mar 13, 2018 #2

Are the darts too heavy? I think most people like something light like cane.

WA

ww
ww

4:55 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #3

Jtester

hard to comment on throwing technique with out being able to see, but if your darts are too flexible, or the head too heavy, they will nose dive. try throwing very easy or remove point weight and see if you can make them fly different. how hard you throw and dart spine are definitely dependent on each other. even with a well tuned dart, you have to be consistent with your throw.

jtester
jtester

5:52 AM - Mar 14, 2018 #4

Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I bought them from a reputable, I believe, source.  They came from Thunderbird Atlatl.  I think they're ash.  I'll fletch one without a point and try that.  I was watching a video by one of our members, Ryan Gill, and he was hitting a can at about 10 yards.  Mine won't even fly 10 yards.  He took a hog with one, in my case the poor pig would have to be laying on the ground at 5 yards to be in any danger. Even then he'd only suffer a minor pin prick.  I am doing a knapping demo in a couple weeks at a festival that also features primitive archery and atlatl throwing.  I'll watch those guys.  Thanks again for the responses.
Jim

ndoghouse
ndoghouse

3:15 AM - Mar 28, 2018 #5

Avoid using an arching motion to cast them. Imagine you are inside a parking garage with a six foot ceiling and you gotta throw without hitting the tip of your atlatl on the ceiling. Keep the dart level while loading it up. Its ok if it flexes but concentrate on keeping the hook moving in a horizontal direction forward. Watch the tip of your dart as you step into it but keep it level. Thunderbird knows atlatls so id forget about the equipment tuning for now. Keep it level, watch the tip and follow through with your swing.

jtester
jtester

1:55 PM - Mar 28, 2018 #6

ndoghouse wrote:Avoid using an arching motion to cast them. Imagine you are inside a parking garage with a six foot ceiling and you gotta throw without hitting the tip of your atlatl on the ceiling. Keep the dart level while loading it up. Its ok if it flexes but concentrate on keeping the hook moving in a horizontal direction forward. Watch the tip of your dart as you step into it but keep it level. Thunderbird knows atlatls so id forget about the equipment tuning for now. Keep it level, watch the tip and follow through with your swing.

ndoghouse
Thanks for the reply.  It sounds a bit like casting a fly rod.  I have been practicing lately and found if I point the dart upward about 30 degrees it flies fine.  That is totally different than the YouTube videos show.  I'll try your method.
Jim

ndoghouse
ndoghouse

6:44 PM - Mar 28, 2018 #7

jtester wrote:
ndoghouse wrote:Avoid using an arching motion to cast them. Imagine you are inside a parking garage with a six foot ceiling and you gotta throw without hitting the tip of your atlatl on the ceiling. Keep the dart level while loading it up. Its ok if it flexes but concentrate on keeping the hook moving in a horizontal direction forward. Watch the tip of your dart as you step into it but keep it level. Thunderbird knows atlatls so id forget about the equipment tuning for now. Keep it level, watch the tip and follow through with your swing.

ndoghouse
Thanks for the reply.  It sounds a bit like casting a fly rod.  I have been practicing lately and found if I point the dart upward about 30 degrees it flies fine.  That is totally different than the YouTube videos show.  I'll try your method.
Jim
Jim,
Yes. Hadnt thought about that but I do fly fish and thats exactly what I mean. I find I do have to estimate a trajectory like you say with some windage as well of course. Y-tube vids are hit and miss. Some folks will do a video describing what your supposed to do but dont do it like they just explained. When you build your own darts you can adjust and play with lots of elements like length, weight, spine, front of center%, tip weight etc. Once you get everything under some control number your darts and take lots of notes. I built a dozen or so darts and what really helped was data collection. I could then eliminate several darts and eventually narrow down to three to five of my favorite darts and build accordingly. If your doing some distance then obviously they will be different than for short distance accuracy etc. At first I used duct tape for fletching and would write the specs on the fletching with a sharpie. Good luck to ya Jim. Its a heck of a lot of fun.