Thinning epoxy glue

Fundin
Fundin

January 18th, 2006, 6:33 pm #1

I am about to fix a bow, and the best glue I have is epoxy, and I want it to go all the way into a crack. Can you make the epoxy thinner? and if so, mix it with what?

January 18th, 2006, 6:55 pm #2

mix with acetone

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

January 18th, 2006, 8:03 pm #3

Or just heat it up with a heatgun or blowdryer. It will flow nicely when heated.

Tom

January 18th, 2006, 8:10 pm #4

Most use the acetone that Glenn mentioned but I perfer lacquer thinner myself. Either one would work for thinning. Of course you have to have to right kind of epoxy first. But you don't have to thin this two-ton Devcon epoxy like I use. Heat your wood first, squeeze in the epoxy and heat until thin. This stuff runs easily when hot and will also work into the wood's pours better. If you need to really work the epoxy in deap then mound it up somewhat over your crack and cover with wide tape. Here you create a bubble which you can press on to drive the epoxy deap into the crack.-ART B

Fundin
Fundin

January 18th, 2006, 9:09 pm #5

Thanks

January 18th, 2006, 11:15 pm #6

Isopropyl alcohol also works well.

jignfrog
jignfrog

January 19th, 2006, 12:54 am #7

I happen to work in a glue factory ( 3M ). We make all kinds epoxy glue. As well as solvent based, latex and acrylic glues.The best way to make it thin is to heat it up. I would personally not add anything to it. ( Even though it will probably work ) It could make the glue weaker than if you just heated it up. If you can get it to be thin enough by heating it up that would be your best bet.

Jignfrog

PS
I am sure everyones advice is good. And It probably will work well. ( don't want to ruffle feathers )

Infrablue
Infrablue

March 18th, 2006, 2:24 am #8

Ethyl alcohol. Ethanol. C2H5OH.

Apply when mixing the epoxy. This makes for the most intimate mix of the resin and hardener.

At an engineer's intro course, I made 2' glass-felt-covered styrofoam windmill wings with this stuff. Brand: Super-Epoxy.

Araldite wouldn't thin with Eth.

Ours took the hardest beating in the wind tunnel (they shut it down, fearing hub failure (Aluminum)).

Just be aware that it shrinks, when diluted with Eth.

Even Abo's can learn hi-tech!

Infy

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

March 21st, 2006, 5:53 pm #9

Test