Tim Baker
Tim Baker

November 12th, 2005, 9:15 am #21

How many countries are represented on Paleo Planet? Tim

ragiwarmbear
ragiwarmbear

November 12th, 2005, 4:27 pm #22

Heya, well I bounced the idea across the sca archery mailing list and they came up with some interesting ideas..

St Sebastien is the christian patron saint of archers and he has a day on 20th of January.

Not sure if it qualifies as a diety but certainly mythological - Chiron, the Centaur who was said to had become the constellation Sagittarius, the Archer. But, like most pre medieval figures doesn't have an identifiable date association.

as well, Diana (or Artemis), Goddess of the Hunt, always depicted with bow and arrows.

She was worshipped at a festival on August 13.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(goddess)

Hurn the hunter, Apollo and of course Cupid were mentioned as possible ideas as well.

Throughout history man kind has venerated and celebrated the bow and the figures who used them. maybe one of these figures can help us find a day to celebrate this on?
Live long, Drop dead.

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

November 13th, 2005, 1:54 am #23

13 or 14 countries, at my last reconning.

There is a discussion area set up for folks to identify where they are from. After the great hacking, we losts some entries, but the folks are still here.

U.S.
Canada
Mexico
England
Scotland
Australia
New Zealand
France
Italy
Spain
Germany
Czech Republic
Austria
Sweden
Finland
Belgium

I may be missing some.

Not all are on the archery forum. Some are atlatlists and other prim tech enthusiasts.

albertl86323
albertl86323

November 13th, 2005, 5:59 pm #24

Love the topic bread a bow uh uh...no way I have too much trouble making them being new to this...flaming arrows dangerous around here in Arizona...no rain and all..But I love the pic of the cresent moon, hope u don't mind but I did snag a copy....a shape to follow for my next bow...

badger5149
badger5149

November 13th, 2005, 6:43 pm #25

Albert, give yourself a vote of confidence, take your very best bow and break it in half and just say to yourself " no problem, I am a bowyer, I will just make another" Steve

albertl86323
albertl86323

November 13th, 2005, 8:46 pm #26

Steve;

If I showed pics of the 4 bows I made, I don't count the fiberglas kit bow..., I would probalby be banned from here...The last one was a 55# ash bow I stressed to far to fast and now it has 3and1/2 inches of set ...but it does shoot......

Simo Hankaniemi
Simo Hankaniemi

November 14th, 2005, 12:42 am #27

I think the idea of the ceremony is good. According to what I know of the Old Folks their New Year started in spring. Winter was a difficult time at best and when it was over they felt like New Year starting.

Fire arrows would be also a good way to celebrate this thing.

I understand those who are worried, but perhaps you should be a little crazy at least one night every year. Some Pueblo Indians have Bow Priests, and we are not that far yet. People need rituals, so why not.

Rod
Rod

November 14th, 2005, 1:19 am #28

Right Steve,
I'll just break my best bow and spend the next ten years trying to find a yew stave of something approaching the same quality. I don't think so...
It's meant to be simple, not easy.

badger5149
badger5149

November 14th, 2005, 2:26 am #29

Albert, I was kidding, but I would gladly take a retired bow such as the one I got the record with last year and shoot it till she broke, then bury it, but break it over my knee, know way! Steve

PaleoAleo
PaleoAleo

November 14th, 2005, 4:04 pm #30

No need to celebrate in the same fashion (in other words, no requirement to break a bow!) - the important thing is for us to have a good time initiating an annual day (or many day) celebration of the bow.

Here in the U.S., they have a day for everything and everybody - even a "secretary's day" and a "Boss's Day" for office workers for cripes sakes! The very least we can do is to have a day to celebrate the bow.

This could be the start of something fun and interesting. If certain mad-men among us want to break bows, more power to them. LOL!!!

Tom

Time tourist
Time tourist

November 14th, 2005, 4:08 pm #31

Dont't forget the Netherlands...

U.S.
Canada
Mexico
England
Scotland
Australia
New Zealand
France
Italy
Spain
Germany
Czech Republic
Austria
Sweden
Finland
Belgium
The Netherlands

aussie yeoman
aussie yeoman

November 15th, 2005, 1:08 am #32

Well, the Australian jury is back, and we're happy to have the celebration in the Autumn equinox.

Here's a word from my 'local' forum:
Quote:
Next year the equinox is 20 March. New moon is Wed, March 29.... If people are not careful it could end up being celebrated on 1 April! Yoiks.
Dave in oz
Articles to help the new bowyer, with Australian bowyers particularly in mind:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials