Michael Bootz
Michael Bootz

January 11th, 2015, 4:52 pm #1401

Pine pitch glue (usually a mixture of pine pitch, charcoal and some fibers).

Triballica
Triballica

January 11th, 2015, 6:02 pm #1402

Yep, pine pitch glue, as told by Michael.
Enigma, you´ve got an PM.
www.sentirprimitivo.com (also in FaceBook)www.paleoforo.com (the forum for the spanish speaker abos)

jhrper
jhrper

January 12th, 2015, 12:56 am #1403

Awesome knives guys! Emigma, it's good to see people reconnecting with nature.
Triballica that knife you posted looks like it would be a pretty useful tool. The one I am about to post, lol, would probably not be too useful as a knife but might suffice lol.

Here is a matchstick for size reference. She is 11 1/2 inches long.

[color=RGBA(255, 255, 255, 0)]Check out more of my work at www.primitivenotionsshop.etsy.com  [/color]

Buckskin Ken
Buckskin Ken

February 21st, 2015, 11:39 pm #1404

After seeing all the beautiful knives in the previous 71 pages, I'm almost embarrassed to post my work. The following are strictly utilitarian. My wife and I give presentations on Native American culture and emphasize the tools they would use to do daily tasks.

They don't have proper sheaths, just blade covers and a strap to hang at your work station in lodge or wherever. This first one is for basic cutting. General purpose, if you will.

I did not knap these points. They are the work of  "Deerman" out of Elkin, NC. When he went to live with the ancestors, his widow gifted me these points.

This blade has 3 cutting surfaces. Great for skinning, gutting etc. A basketmaker might use it for stripping bark, cutting cattails. A cook might use it for chopping and dicing.

This point is mounted on a deer jawbone for your offset cutting.

Scalpel or exacto work

Pocket utility blade.

Each handle is a different type of deer bone and each matched to its blade with minimal modifications. It's almost like they were meant to go together.
Again I applaud the true artists who have posted their work on this thread.

paleoarts
paleoarts

March 7th, 2015, 3:01 pm #1405

Cool stuff, Ken! I especially like number 2.
check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

Buckskin Ken
Buckskin Ken

March 9th, 2015, 4:14 pm #1406

Thanks, Paleo. That is one of those points with the small tab at back. I've never believed the tab was for a hanging strap. The blade is much more utilitarian with a handle, either ulu type or what I have done. My handle can be held overhand or underhand for various uses of the 3 cutting surfaces.

I have 2 knives that I am proud to own. Both were made by Deerman and the sheaths were made by Lady Hawk. One was commisioned by my wife for me
and the other was Deerman's personal knife, gifted to me by Lady Hawk after his passing.

Enigma
Enigma

March 17th, 2015, 6:33 am #1407

Ken, your pieces are really inspiring. Thank you for posting them up.

I am starting to do Australian Aboriginal reproductions, and these 2 knives were modelled on some which are kept in the Australian Museum of Natural History, collected in the Tennant Creek area of NT, circa 1900 AD.

I am however using Mookaite Jasper for the blade, where-by the originals had a different stone, which looked like very fine grained basalt, or a mudstone. I am also using genuine Xanthorea based resin (Grass Tree) which I collect and mix myself. I don't know what the originals used, it would be either Xanthorea or Spinifex based resin.

Buckskin Ken
Buckskin Ken

March 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm #1408

Here on east coast of USA the tree saps that would work are pine, eastern red cedar and sweetgum. I suspect they would have used what was most readily available at their location.... when multiple things would have worked.

Enigma
Enigma

March 18th, 2015, 7:50 am #1409

Tennant Creek Northern Territory? I'd put my money on spinifex resin. :-)

I do like pine resins, they are much easier to work than Xanthorea resins. We get a lot of different native pines here (using the common name of pine, not the latin), the most common found up and down the East Coast are the Cypress Pines, which are Cypresses as opposed to pines, and have been used for floorboards for many years, as they are termite resisistant. They are a source of sandarac, which is a type of varnish.

kdidj
kdidj

March 18th, 2015, 10:20 am #1410

Enigma,

If you're getting up Tennant Creek way it could well have been sugarbag, like they use in Arnhem Land and the rest of the Top End. Depending upon the propolis content the wax can differ from very sticky to concrete hard.

Kyle

Enigma
Enigma

March 18th, 2015, 9:31 pm #1411

Thanks for the info Kdidj. I'll do some more research to see how far 'sugarbag' could well have been used and also traded.

Enigma
Enigma

March 19th, 2015, 5:40 am #1412

Here's some images I took today, of mixing up some more Xanthorea resin based glue for my Abo knife repro's.

Xanthorea resin, rabbitt poo, and charcoal.

Melting the mix, ready for application.

Final Product

Enigma
Enigma

March 19th, 2015, 10:11 am #1413

Here's another one I finished this arvo.

The handle is the root from a rainforest tree.

AncestralArtwork
AncestralArtwork

April 2nd, 2015, 12:41 am #1414

made one of those scalpal like knives, from an obsidian blade and slotted pieces of wood

the blade is realy held secure and tight, unless you unwrap the leather

jhrper
jhrper

April 2nd, 2015, 9:54 pm #1415

Too cool. Like a primitive razor knife.
[color=RGBA(255, 255, 255, 0)]Check out more of my work at www.primitivenotionsshop.etsy.com  [/color]

Buckskin Ken
Buckskin Ken

April 2nd, 2015, 11:20 pm #1416

I do like the paleo razor knife. I'm working on one similar made from bone, wood, sinew and a rhyolite chip. Hopefully, it will be quick to replace chip with fresh chip similar in size. I'll post pics when done.

May be a while..... it's sorta on a back burner ;-)

Triballica
Triballica

April 18th, 2015, 11:30 am #1417

It has been a while I didn´t post anything here. This is my last knife: obsidian blade, deer leg bone, PPG and deer sinew.

www.sentirprimitivo.com (also in FaceBook)www.paleoforo.com (the forum for the spanish speaker abos)

paleoarts
paleoarts

April 18th, 2015, 8:07 pm #1418

great stuff, guys! Here are a few of my latest...

check out my online gallery, including shopping cart, at www.flintknappers.com/gallery/paleoarts and follow me on Facebook.

buck1
buck1

April 19th, 2015, 10:39 pm #1419

Nice work fellas

Triballica
Triballica

April 20th, 2015, 8:36 pm #1420

Beautifull knifes, Chris.